Barbie Doll Woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steff

Reaction score
We purchased a Vermont Castings wood stove for our Wisconsin cabin. It is a small cabin requiring a small wood stove, which in turn, requires smaller-than-average logs. Tiny logs. Toy-size logs. Someone was kind enough to cut us some firewood, but he didn't believe the dimensions we asked for and cut gobs of firewood that is about 4-6 inches too long. Is there any patented (i.e. safe) device out there that will allow my husband to use a chainsaw to shave about 6 inches off a piece of firewood without me having to book a widow's bereavement cruise?
Thanks in advance.

I frequently encounter this problem because I get a lot of wood for free from local arborists and it's almost always cut in odd lengths. I just set up my power miter saw outside near the wood pile, run an extension cord back to the house, and cut everything to a useable length.

I guess if a chainsaw is the only option, there's a thing called a chainsaw buddy that attaches to the bar. I've only seen pictures of this device, so I can't say first hand that it will get the job done.

Welcome (back) to the site!

I personally would use a chop saw (miter saw) to reduce what you've got to make it through the winter and then start harvesting wood at the right length for future heating seasons.

Where are you from in MN? Also where is your cabin in WI?

I've said it before, but I sometimes go back and read the old threads. It's interesting to see the active posters from different time periods. I know since I've joined the whole place has turned over several times save for a few regulars. I'd say with a few exceptions that AS 2015 is a calmer, friendlier, more helpful place than it was years back. Even look at this thread. Only one person responded to her question.

I've said it before, but I sometimes go back and read the old threads. It's interesting to see the active posters from different time periods. I know since I've joined the whole place has turned over several times save for a few regulars. I'd say with a few exceptions that AS 2015 is a calmer, friendlier, more helpful place than it was years back. Even look at this thread. Only one person responded to her question.

Calmer? Well I think perhaps this is because the OP was from Minnesota. If by chance they were from, say Washington, maybe that would have caused some banter. :lol: Just a tip, "Don't move there".

She never responded back, I hope she really didn't end up on a "bereavement cruise", because she hardly received any options.

Ya, I could be the next Robert Kincaid. Are there any lonely farm girls in Iowa? Lol.

Don't you watch the T.V.? They(women) are flocking to Iowa right now for that stupid "bachelor program" that's on reality t.v.! I always thought farmers were more conservative than to do something like that.

I'd like to go to Iowa and see some walnut stands and see those covered bridges in Madison County.
John
I don't know anything about walnut stands but I'd take you over to the watermelon and pumpkin fields in between cocktail hour! Probably could throw in a boat ride on the Mississippi river too. I even know of a covered bridge pretty close!

Sometimes we need to take those old records off the shelf. Lol
I'd like to see a pic of the Barbie stove.
John

I ran a stove like that, for 13 years. Best length of splits- 8". Max cross-section: less than 3"x4". Really could stretch a cord of wood.

Best & safest tool for cutting splits down to size: 14" Grizzly bandsaw. Could really buzz sticks quickly with 3 tpi band. Of course, it helps to have other uses for it. Still use that saw for buzzing 16" long splits in half for N-S loading, or trimming to 16" or less for E-W, for current stove. Some folks' eye-crometers need calibration. :innocent:

Latest posts

Back