Barn/shop expansion (in progress)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

That looks pretty damn good!!!!:greenchainsaw: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good looking lumber/project-looks like a quality job. Nice work Silver. Great to be able to go out and mill what you need. What's the price per bd ft for rough sawn pine in your area?

What's the price per bd ft for rough sawn pine in your area?

I have no idea, never priced it, no local lumber yard has anything but shiplap 1x pine and its about $2 dollar per board/foot.. It cost me about $4 bucks (gas, oil, wear and tear) to make those boards.. I'd imagine around $1-2 per board/foot if I had a local small bandmill guy make me some, but really I have no idea.

Update.

Working on the upstairs walls, not as much progress as I'd like, but getting there, got like .1 inches of rain on it so far ;). Hopefully I'll have a roof on it in the next few weeks.

Pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This project has to be at least roofed in by now... as fast as your getting it done. (faster than the progress I'm making, and I'm not even putting up walls.):)

I see you already have the beer fridge in! :cheers:

It's looking good.... real good. :clap:

Ted

Well I didn't get the sheeting on w/#30 felt until it rained on it once or twice, I think about 2 inches of rain got into it before I had the tar paper on.. Oh well. The roof is done now, just finished up the 30 year arch. comp today. A bit slow, but I'm not in that big a hurry ;). Its funny the pond. pine subfloor on the upstairs swelled when it got wet to where there was absolutely no gap it it, then it dried back out to having small gaps between the boards ;).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
My outriggers got a bit lower then the rest especially on the back side. Probably didn't put enuf cross boards in at the bottom end, oh well, its good enuf.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You got a roof up ! ! ! Major accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing. I hope next year I'll be able to post my wood shed project, the one I keep saying I'm going to build.

If you want to shore things up on the eaves you could cut the rafter ends back, then nail another 2X4 across it. It ties in the rafter ends together so they won't move and will support the roof corners to keep them straight. It would be some work but will prevent the corners from sagging overtime and you'll have greater satisfaction with the overall job with a straight roofline. Also, the end trusses ideally should be dropped 3 1/2". This allows you to place outriggers across them standing on end (the 1 1/2" side) rather than lay them flat, and you nail them into the previous rafter. No warping or bowing with time. You could weld up some brackets probably 2 per run or 4 per side. That with doing the eaves like I said should keep things straight. Even adding a strong back to the outriggers and a bracket to tie it in would help also. I'm not trying to be critical, just suggesting some possible options to help fix the issues you have concerns with. With everything still accessible, nows the time address those things. Fine job so far Silver-something to be proud of for sure. Thanks for posting :cheers:

Progress. Still need a back door, gonna put up a barn type sliding door. Need to batten down the tin a little more and caulk the piss out of it, (probably take a couple cases). But its starting to look like a building. A little more T1-11 up top on the front and trim and I can paint the front. I had to raid 3 stashes of tin to find enuf, lol.

Pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

looking good, planing on painting the tin?

Not sure yet. I'll probably paint the east side tin. The T1-11 side is the north side. The south and West sides aren't really visible from the house or the road so if they look a little rough its not a big deal. But SWMBO might change my mind for me. Maybe if I drag my feet she'll buy the paint and be my beer fetcher for the project ;) :cheers:

Not sure yet. I'll probably paint the east side tin. The T1-11 side is the north side. The south and West sides aren't really visible from the house or the road so if they look a little rough its not a big deal. But SWMBO might change my mind for me. Maybe if I drag my feet she'll buy the paint and be my beer fetcher for the project ;) :cheers:

Now that the outside is more or less done, don't forget to please keep posting on how the inside is coming along.

Thanks,
Ted

Back