Barn Stove Decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Reaction score
I'm about to put a wood burner in the barn for when I'm working out there in the winter,.... I'm debating between using the crappy old Volglezang box stove that I have just collecting dust, or just building a double-decker barrel stove.

Here are my concerns:
1. It's an old crappy barn with dirt floors and little protection against the elements. (for the stove)

2. It is drafty as all hell and missing two doors right now. (Tornado and I haven't fixed it yet)

The dimensions are roughly 50x20. My goal is simply to put off enough heat to warm about a third of the structure. Someday When I build my 40x60 Steel shop with concrete floors, I'll probably put in an OWB of some kind and enjoy the hell out of it. For now however, I'd just like to have thawed out hands when I'm filing chains in the winter,... Sorry for the rant.
Any thoughts????
Thanks!

Fer me

If'n I already had an idle box stove; that is choice one

If'n I was gonna make a barrel stove, a single barrel model would be plenty for what you describe.
Just put a layer of tile or sand on bottom, a good damner in the pipe and fire 'er up

I would have to believe that if the barn was "questionable" in it's ability to protect the stove from the elements, that your efforts should be directed first at sealing up the barn in some fashion. If the elements can get in that easy, the heat can get out even easier.

I'm about to put a wood burner in the barn for when I'm working out there in the winter,.... I'm debating between using the crappy old Volglezang box stove that I have just collecting dust, or just building a double-decker barrel stove.

Here are my concerns:
1. It's an old crappy barn with dirt floors and little protection against the elements. (for the stove)

2. It is drafty as all hell and missing two doors right now. (Tornado and I haven't fixed it yet)

The dimensions are roughly 50x20. My goal is simply to put off enough heat to warm about a third of the structure. Someday When I build my 40x60 Steel shop with concrete floors, I'll probably put in an OWB of some kind and enjoy the hell out of it. For now however, I'd just like to have thawed out hands when I'm filing chains in the winter,... Sorry for the rant.
Any thoughts????
Thanks!

Seems to me that it'd be totally impractical to try to heat the air in the barn.
What might work would be a heater designed to radiate heat to objects- like a pot-belly; consider, also, the first 5 feet or so of smoke-pipe to be a radiant heater (and make it black). A barrel stove is just bulkier, and thinner wall.
What rant?

does the barn have critters & a good supply of sawdust?

Just some barn cats and misc rodents (the cats are slacking,...)
I'm going to be sealing up the barn as best I can afford right now, (when I get back from a military TDY) and it is currently being repaired via insurance from extensive tornado damage it recently suffered. I know that it's impractical to heat the space to any "comfortable" ambient temp, I'm just looking to have decent radiation outwards of 15' if I centrally locate it in the center of the Western third of the barn; it's length being laid out E-W and it being already effectively partitioned into thirds as there used to be livestock and tack areas in there. Now it's a semi over-sized workshop until I build some more fencing and reconfigure the run-out for my horses.

small stove is more efficient than big stove. box stove is probly more acceptable to ins. co. also

Mine picked me, I say go with what ya got Bro'.

My good friend had one sittin' in his barn, from the old farmhouse he bought.

He had sworn off wood burnin' cause when he was growing up he had the splittin', stackin' tendin' chores.

Guess what? he put a outside boiler in a few years back! The apple don't fall far from the tree eh?

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back