Barreto Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these? I saw one recently at a rental yard. It looked fairly rugged and durable.

My local HD has a Barreto 20T log splitter from their rental yard for sale at about 1k. Any thoughts on grabbing the machine at that price? I have been using a buddy's 28T Troy Built and it has been more than adequate for all our jobs.

I've got a Barreto tiller that I bought from a rental store , I've rented it out several times , one tough machine and everyone that's used it is impressed .
If the splitter is like the tiller it's built to last and with quality parts .

Anything Barreto will be clunky, clumsy, heavy, overbuilt, and slow.

They are made so rental yards can pay big up front and know they won't spend a dime on repairs.

Operator friendly has never even been considered by the engineers at Barreto.

I was hoping it would be one of the iron and oak models that they also rent but it was the barreto. The machine is 6 years old, no known hour count, 1/2 dime size gouge in splitting wedge, missing the log cradles. All that said, the thing looks bullet proof in terms of design and quality components. It is slow with a 14 second cycle and a clunky forward and back interface. I would take off the 'two hand safety lever' since it is just a simple lockout lever if I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 seconds ain't bad. that is a nice looking splitter. I bet the price reflects this...
We have a Barreto rototiller in our rental up here. It is most assuredly not slow. in fact it will out work any other tiller I have ever used. You might beat it with something hanging off the back of a John Deere. Maybe.

14 seconds ain't bad. that is a nice looking splitter. I bet the price reflects this...
We have a Barreto rototiller in our rental up here. It is most assuredly not slow. in fact it will out work any other tiller I have ever used. You might beat it with something hanging off the back of a John Deere. Maybe.

Not bad? Mine has a 5 second cycle and it's almost slow.

5 sec is cruising along pretty good.
I can understand the larger picture, and Barreto is building for the rental market. 14 seconds ain't bad, they might have balanced speed vs. safe operating and cost. We have a little splitter in the rental up here, and it is slow like a turtle. I think it is something up around 30 second cycle time :buttkick: "oh but it's 28 tons" yippee. and slower than evolution.

I don't think that the average weekend warrior should be operating a 5 sec cycle time. He gonna chop off his fingers, and then blame it on the rental or the manufacturer for building a "dangerous" machine. People can be idiots at times.

Back