Base gasket delete question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat the crimped edge red hot with a mapp or acetylene torch. Unfold it a little at a time. Remove the cat section.
Reheat and crimp back down with clamp or vise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm sure you can grind or drill or otherwise obliterate it, and I probably would (while waiting for the $10 eBay muffler to arrive). Just wear a mask as that's stuff is probably not good to breathe.

Another question Chris, you mentioned putting a degree wheel on it to check port timing. What would be the reasoning for that step? I will try the muffler mod first (probably going to order a new dual outlet) just curious where you were going after the degree wheel?

Another question Chris, you mentioned putting a degree wheel on it to check port timing. What would be the reasoning for that step? I will try the muffler mod first (probably going to order a new dual outlet) just curious where you were going after the degree wheel?
If you wanted to port the saw, or even if you wanted to know what you could expect from it with the stock porting, then using a degree wheel to measure the port timing is really the only what to know where you are starting from and what to do. For a saw that others have done before you could get that info, but this is an unknown, so you'd have to measure it yourself. Once you know the timing, plus port widths and maybe transfer configuration (quad or dual, open or close, large or small), the engine can be expected to respond to mods in a pretty typical fashion.

Sounds like I'll need to do some more reading. I'm not new to chainsaws but I've never modified one to that extent. I'll start with the muffler and progress from there. I've read a couple threads on AS about degree wheels and port timing, I'll have to revisit them.

I have had good luck grinding them apart but, if it isn't welded, will leak oil sooner or later. Someone with patience and a MAPP gas torch can uncrimp it carefully but you will have to crimp it back together.

If you take a drill/grinder to the muffler make sure you get all the loose stuff out so the cat material does not get sucked into the cylinder.

You could take 0.012" off the cylinder base with some wet/dry paper on a piece of plate glass , and honing the base in a figure 8 motion

I've ordered the dual outlet muffler from eBay. Should have it in 1-2 weeks. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Good call on the muffler chris-Pa. The muffler finally showed up today and it is NOT a cat muffler. Looking inside it looks like it should flow pretty well as is. I'll put it on the saw soon and retune and see how she does. This one is definitely much more open then the original cat muffler.
IMG_20170321_021605228.jpg IMG_20170321_021550963.jpg

Back