base gasket sealant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Let's say you've taken your saw apart, removed the base gasket, did some other mods, and now you're putting it all back together. What do you use to seal up the interface between the cylinder and the crankcase? I have an old tube of Permatex red 51813 sealant, but maybe there's something better out there?

Threebond 1194. It's an adhesive, flexible sealant. Many manufacturers use similar if not the same product it right at the factory instead of a conventional gasket. Rotax uses it for joining snowmobile crankcases, Yamaha uses it, and I'm sure there are many more.

Don't use silicone type rubbery RTV sealant.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Liquid-Gasket-TB1194/dp/B0012TUVAW

Threebond 1194. It's an adhesive, flexible sealant. Many manufacturers use similar if not the same product it right at the factory instead of a conventional gasket. Rotax uses it for joining snowmobile crankcases, Yamaha uses it, and I'm sure there are many more.

Don't use silicone type rubbery RTV sealant.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Liquid-Gasket-TB1194/dp/B0012TUVAW

Oh Man, I bought a tube of that RTV stuff. Did a few test cuts and decided I wanted to go back into the saw for a small change and, wow! What a mess! There was this black gooey crap all over the base and transfer ports, etc.

Well, one thing to remember is to apply a thin, even coat to both mating surfaces. You want adequate coverage, but you don't want to over-do it resulting in large quantities of excess sealant oozing into the case, ports, or anywhere else it could pose a problem.. One thing that comes to mind that excess sealant could cause an issue with is pulse ports in the base gasket deck like a 394 has. Too much sealant could obstruct it resulting in no fuel getting pumped into the carb.

Oh Man, I bought a tube of that RTV stuff. Did a few test cuts and decided I wanted to go back into the saw for a small change and, wow! What a mess! There was this black gooey crap all over the base and transfer ports, etc.
Silicone is an old Harley thing, when shovelheads and ironheads marked their territory with a nice oil spot. Three bond/ yamabond/ hondabond motoseal, its all the same stuff. And it works

Well, one thing to remember is to apply a thin, even coat to both mating surfaces. You want adequate coverage, but you don't want to over-do it resulting in large quantities of excess sealant oozing into the case, ports, or anywhere else it could pose a problem.. One thing that comes to mind that excess sealant could cause an issue with is pulse ports in the base gasket deck like a 394 has. Too much sealant could obstruct it resulting in no fuel getting pumped into the carb.
Thats a good reason to use anaerobic like 518 so it will only dry in the absence of air and all else will wash out if any got inside cylinder

Ive used permatex motoseal, dirko, yamabond , and 515, 518. The motoseal and yamabond are alil messy to me and the 518 is the best ive used. Ill use the 518 on the bottomend also even with a gasket

Latest posts

Back