Basic Rigging System...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Owle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All.....I'm looking to outfit one of My trucks with
what I will call A 'Basic Rigging System".
The Items I feel should be there would be a
Port-a-wrap,Eye sling,Block of some sort
(rope pulley),a couple of Beaners and A
Hank of good Rigging Line.

Is this too basic...?
Whats missing...?
Any thoughts on the line...?

I'd like to keep this under $500.00
So this would'nt be Your open check book
"Dream Kit"
Just A Good Basic System

Thanx In Advance.......Night Owle..!!

Hey All.....I'm looking to outfit one of My trucks with
what I will call A 'Basic Rigging System".
The Items I feel should be there would be a
Port-a-wrap,Eye sling,Block of some sort
(rope pulley),a couple of Beaners and A
Hank of good Rigging Line.

Is this too basic...?
Whats missing...?
Any thoughts on the line...?

So this would'nt be Your open check book
"Dream Kit"
Just A Good Basic System

Thanx In Advance.......Night Owle..!!
some vendors sell kits like wesspur, i keep the kits in different bags, big wood blocks, spider line and mini porty for rigging aloft crane slings, natural crotch ropes and so on, i suggest a whoopie and a inexpensive crane sling for your porty you can also go with a hank of bull rope 16' or so for the porty you can buy extras of this stuff if you need new, the lenghts are left overs off the spool and will come at 47 or 31 feet it might not be cheaper than a standard whoopie but on a large trunk it will work in a pinch, ems by me sells steel beaners pretty cheap, for a cheap line the all gear 5/8 is rated for 18,000 and the samson 3strand i think is 12,000

make sure you have a few good sized pulleys and a big come-along. you would be suprised how you can change the pull ratio with2 or 3 pulleys/blocks. a couple cheap wedges and a sledge works wonders too!

Great tips...

I think I will toss a come-along in that truck
and some wedges...

Thanx..... Night Owle..!

I think you're on the right track. I'd have at least of pair of pulleys and few prussiks so that you can set up a knotless Z-rig. Cheaper than a come-a-long and easier to readjust when you run out of pull. Counter point is a come-a-long is more "brainless", or treeman-proof if you prefer than the Z-rig. I think you can accomplish your goal and stay in budget. Bundle it up in a large duffel and label it with truck ID, good to go.

I am gonna say as far as basics you're good to go with the mentioned items. That is roughly what I have as far as big rigging supplies. I have some small nylon loop runners I do some light rigging off of but that's about it.

My Basic rigging

this is a bit over 500 but it took me a while to aquire all of it.

large steel port-a-wrap
16' tenex eye sling
2 ton steel block pully
12' tenex eye sling
3/4" stable braid 150'
1/2" true blue 150'
Tree Pulling Kit (2 Petzl double sheave prusik minding pullys, 2 tenex prusiks page 41 in sherrills catalog)

I feel this covers most rigging needs, a few more lines is always nice and maybe a GRCS :laugh: a bit out of my budget though

basics

Hey night owl...I use my rope-puller much more than my come-along. The come-along is only good for about 5 feet where the rope puller is good till you get to the end of your rope. Just my two cents worth. Munkee feet

Well, this does not seems to have turned he quotes upside down...

I have some small nylon loop runners I do some light rigging off of but that's about it.

The web slings can cut themselves even under light loads. I've had it happen. The edge cuts the flat as it sinches up, and I snugged everything.

I preffer hollowbraid loops. 2-3 is great, so you can have the next piece set before the rope comes back. And if you drop one, there is another onn your body. I'll either fist them up and carabiner them to my saddle loop or bandoleer fashion around neck and shoulder.

I'd make that two or three good rigging lines.
This is bare bones, remember. At the most here I would do 200 ft 1/2 in hollow braid and 120 ft 9/16 in double braid. I do that now with stable braid, a 200 of 1/2 inch high streach and 120 of 9/16 low streach. It depends on the size of tree you work with. Just remember you need 3 legs to the rope when usig a friction break.

I'd have at least of pair of pulleys and few prussiks so that you can set up a knotless Z-rig. Bundle it up in a large duffel and label it with truck ID, good to go.

Great idea for a later date, but it breaks his budget. Build this up with small pullies and carabiners. you can use a marlin spike hitch befor you invest in several prussik cords. Not as quickly adjustable, but ~$40 cheaper.

2 steel carabiners $40
2 rescue pullies $100

i suggest a whoopie and a inexpensive crane sling for your porty you can also go with a hank of bull rope 16'

The 16 ft whoopie is $80, so the hank of rope works the budget better, or a 25ft eye sling for $55. This is how I started my bag, one very long Tenex sling for everything. 20ft girth, 5 ft timber hitch gives a max basal diameter of 76 in.

Hey All.....I'm looking to outfit one of My trucks with;

Port-a-wrap,
Eye sling,
Block
Beaners
Rigging Line.

135 Port-a-wrap (1)
55 Eye sling (1)
127 Aluminum SpringLoc Block 1/2in Lines (1)
80 carabiners (4)
127 Trueblue 1/2 x 150'/12-Strand
18 bartac web loops (3)
55 Pulley 5/8" Rope Capacity (1)
74 LOOPIE SLING 5/8" Adj. 2' to 6'/ 3,000swl (2)

I like the spring blocks because the have no loose parts like the cheaper ones. I would go with 2 of them, but i put in the CMI heavy pulley to same money, just remember that you need one of the three $20 carabiners for these to attatch to the sling.

I put in a 2 loopies for the block pulley combo, you need something to attatch, and they are easier to carry and adjust then an eye sling.

I like a long hank of rope and captive eye carabiner for a trunk redirect to keep load out of the vertical leg of the rigging system, but that's not priced in.

If you want to natural crotch the the eorking end, vs a redirect block, you will take $92 out of the equasion for the pulley and loopie, another $20 to have 3 carabiners and $118 in reduction of cost and you are down to $553.

I will natural crotch often Especially if i would have to do a big climb at the end of the day to clean gear:)), but find having more then one block and redirect carabiner a great benefit in bigger trees.

All this rigging stuff sounds good but takes an awful of space. It depends how far you are to the job. I work real close to my yard about every day and like the spider line mini porty etc.tucked right under my legs in a bag while driving my pickup mentioned in the 1st reply. I can get back to all that heavy stuff if nec. If truth be known prob 80 % of my rigging involves a 10 or 12 foot double braid lanyard w an eyesplice that I keep on the floor of my bucket along w a half inch 8footer that I use tohang limbs up to 40 feet long and maybe 12 inch dia and slice them up while theyre hanging over a safe area some of the bigger wood is touching the floor of the bucket when cut off then tossed later. The eye is cinched and the other end bolenned and then make a matching bottom and top cut. I think these seminars for rigging try to get you to buy a lot of unnec. stuff esp. all that speedline crap. Then, oh by the way we just happen to sell it besides giving seminars.

are you refering the pulley as a cmi 116 (2" pulley) or a large 130 (heavy duty block)?

Ive never seen a block cut a sling. The small pulleys I can see that happening and I agree to attach w/ biner.

are you refering the pulley as a cmi 116 (2" pulley) or a large 130 (heavy duty block)?

Ive never seen a block cut a sling. The small pulleys I can see that happening and I agree to attach w/ biner.

I went with the pulley with 4 inch sheave since it was so much cheaper.

My personal preferance is with the Wales spring blocks, I use a 3/4 for the center and 1/2 redirects. I get different colors for the different sizes so I can tell people yellow or red. I have three blocks in my truck at all times, just because they are so usefull in reducing friction.

I use rescue pullies for light gigging, but they do not hold up to side loading.

Latest posts

Back