BEAL Ropes now offering Arborist Ropes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some european suppliers selling those for a while, but this is the first time I've seen info on the Baobab, et al on Beal's on website. Thanks for the link!

On one site, and I can't remember which one right now, it said this rope was for "light use". But it never explained what they meant by that.

I like the colors of the black/yellow one.

love
nick

its not the ropes im so much intersted in, as the sewn eye terminations.....

interesting to note that they use standard polyester thread, and quite thin thread too for the eye terminations, same with Petzl.....

i'm sewing something similar (eye termination) using 100lb test polyester thread... :biggrinbounce2:

whatever you do, dont go with the bonsa....quite possibly the worst rope ive ever come across
on that alone id think twice about trying the others

its simply unworkable. a friend saw it cheap and jumped in feet first and bought a whole reel of it. only to find out it wasnt even suitable for pull line let alone climbing. it somehow seems to tangle itself everytime you try to use it. he'd be up a tree and pull his rope a little and it would just come up in a huge tangled mess....it wasnt down to the coiling or storage either.
crap crap crap

did he break the rope in first? how did he uncoil the rope form the spool? if you pull it off the spool of course it will coil up and twist, rou have to unroll the coil in a flat field and then walk down the line, pulling it taut before recoiling. I suspect that was the issue. Ive had that problem with every rope form a spool...

I've had a Beal split tail for a couple of years. It's been in the bag as a spare, just breaking it in now, the plastic covering over the sewn eye is starting to come off, I will have to put some electrical tape or shrink tube over it.

its simply unworkable. a friend saw it cheap and jumped in feet first and bought a whole reel of it. only to find out it wasnt even suitable for pull line let alone climbing. it somehow seems to tangle itself everytime you try to use it. he'd be up a tree and pull his rope a little and it would just come up in a huge tangled mess....it wasnt down to the coiling or storage either.
crap crap crap

I haven't seen the rope, so this is pure speculation, but the symptoms you're describing sounds like what happens when companies try to make rope cheaply. If they loosen the twist and the braid in the rope it takes less fiber to make a long rope. If you have a daughter you'll understand this. If you braid her hair it's shorter than if it's just hanging in a pony tail. Good companies will make the rope the right way and just charge what it's worth. Then there's cheaper companies that make rope that might look good (and they often design the color schemes to be similar to what the good companies are doing- possibly explaining why beal's baobab rope is the same as Yale's red/white XTC) then sell it for a lower price.

I guess tree work is the same way!

The looser rope would have less fiber in it, would weigh less, and would be a lot floppier/prone to tangling.

I'd like to try the Beal rope one day to see how it is. Let me know if someone finds it being sold in the US.

love
nick

Last edited:
I haven't seen the rope, so this is pure speculation, but the symptoms you're describing sounds like what happens when companies try to make rope cheaply. If they loosen the twist and the braid in the rope it takes less fiber to make a long rope. If you have a daughter you'll understand this. If you braid her hair it's shorter than if it's just hanging in a pony tail. Good companies will make the rope the right way and just charge what it's worth. Then there's cheaper companies that make rope that might look good (and they often design the color schemes to be similar to what the good companies are doing- possibly explaining why beal's baobab rope is the same as Yale's red/white XTC) then sell it for a lower price.

I guess tree work is the same way!

The looser rope would have less fiber in it, would weigh less, and would be a lot floppier/prone to tangling.

I'd like to try the Beal rope one day to see how it is. Let me know if someone finds it being sold in the US.

love
nick

and this is what puzzles me when i first saw the negatives listed about Beal ropes....beacues their climbing (rock etc) ropes are VERY well respected and used all over the world.

:confused:

indeed....i have some beal rock rope and im more than happy with it. ive seen other beal rock ropes being used that looked better, but that one type truly truly sucked....unfortunately thats enough to make me think twice about trying stuff from the same manufacturer again.

Latest posts

Back