beat on the ole 455 again today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with the 455. It reminds me of it's predecessor the 55 also a good firewood rig. I have 2 51's which are again quite similar and mine is dead reliable and has only had a piston/ring freshen-up in the 10 yrs I've had it. The second one was given too me after a neighbor blew it up. I'l rebuild it into a 55 when I get the time. The neighbor was used too old Homelites (360) and he was always really leaning hard on the saw. I told him too let the saw work but.....you know how that goes. For firewooding it's a good rig. I will say for oak like your cutting there (ripping) I'd be using my Dolmar 120si or in your case a 372xp. Much faster. :cheers:

I almost bought a 455 but get a 346xp instead...which I like but the stuff about plastic case and even small gas tank to a point I'm not sure about as my 346xp has plastic pretty much everywhere also (which I was surprised by)...not sure about gas tank size but I wouldn't mind a few extra ounces in the 346 either, seems to run out to often to me but I don't have a lot to reference to.
I do love my 346 though, I picked up a 455 at lowes the other day and man does it feel heavy or awkard or something compared to my xp....

I almost bought a 455 but get a 346xp instead...which I like but the stuff about plastic case and even small gas tank to a point I'm not sure about as my 346xp has plastic pretty much everywhere also (which I was surprised by)...not sure about gas tank size but I wouldn't mind a few extra ounces in the 346 either, seems to run out to often to me but I don't have a lot to reference to.
I do love my 346 though, I picked up a 455 at lowes the other day and man does it feel heavy or awkard or something compared to my xp....

Compared to a XP line of saw, they are heavy and underpowered for their weight.
But, it is what it is. An intermediate saw for someone that uses a saw a little more than just the weekend warrior type.Would I use a 455 if i had an XP line of saw around?Nope.
But for the guy that needs to crank out some firewood, maintain a piece of land, etc, you cant go wrong with the 455.
Shoot, for years that was all I had to cut with, then came the 372 to take the burden of the big stuff.
Even though I got a 357XP, I still didnt want to part with the 455,it has been a proven machine.

I cut approx. 10-12 "full" cords this summer and then some misc. I didn't really keep track of no problems plus used it quite a bit the year before just keep the chains sharpened and it has been great it does seem a bit heavy for the power and the gas tank thing became painfully apparent this summer in the woods but oh well when it quits I'll get a XP model til then I will run it into the ground has gotten the job done so far. Just my 2 cents!! Take care irishcountry

Dont take any heat about the 455, it is by far the easiest starting saw I own,
Just got a 455 last month and have a few hours on the motor. I've been very pleased.

As to starting . . . amazing. Hot or in between: one pull, cold: 2 or 3 pulls, what could be easier.

It'll outlive me.

From what little I have heard previously, I wasn't going to ASK about the 455/460 rancher series, as I was afraid I would get a tounge lashing.

You guys that have them or are knowledgeable with them, are the 455 and 460 Ranchers a trouble free saw?

I was leaning more toward the 460, just because it is a little bigger.

Are the "composit" X-torq cases ok? Is this something I should worry about?

I don't have 700 to spend on a farmboss right now. Maybe next year if all goes well. I just want to get a good saw for the money. My craftsman saw isn't nearly big enough, stong enough, nor built for the amout of wood I cut. Beside it lacks the bitter bar, which is more than handy for many applications.

No used saws in this size to be found locally. Project saw WOULD be considered, if I had the time to get it going. I am cutting/splitting now. I need the saw now, not a month down the road.

I was originally going to get a 460 w/ a 24" bar and I eventually decided I was just creeping up in size and features. The 455 is plenty.

Keep in mind the 455/460 are not commercial saws, rather homeowner saws. In other words weekend saws, not everyday saws.

A commercial users would expect to cuts 10 cords a week, whereas a homeowner likely wouldn't do 10 cords a year. So if the saw makes you money, you'll want a pro saw, if not the rancher is an excellent choice.

Don't let the pros talk you into more saw than you need. Also, go for a Husky or Stihl based on the dealer. My dealer spent 30 minutes bench tuning my 455, that's worth a lot and it made a big difference.

You guys that have them or are knowledgeable with them, are the 455 and 460 Ranchers a trouble free saw?

I was leaning more toward the 460, just because it is a little bigger.

Are the "composit" X-torq cases ok? Is this something I should worry about?

I don't have 700 to spend on a farmboss right now. Maybe next year if all goes well. I just want to get a good saw for the money. My craftsman saw isn't nearly big enough, stong enough, nor built for the amout of wood I cut. Beside it lacks the bitter bar, which is more than handy for many applications.

No used saws in this size to be found locally. Project saw WOULD be considered, if I had the time to get it going. I am cutting/splitting now. I need the saw now, not a month down the road.

I have an 8 yr old 55 rancher,at work,its a great saw,never has failed to start and run.We use it on a golf course,it gets thrown in the back of a golf cart and bounced around.It is rock solid.i love it so much i bought a 460 this past summer,and love it too.Its got about 15 tanks or fuel thru it now,it runs great for a saw under $400.I would like to see what other 60cc saw has the smoothness,and reliability of it,and the ability to take a 20-24" bar for under 400?

I think 4555rancher needs another 455 or he needs to change his username.

Im sure you could find an Ebay fixer upper easy enuff, I'd never buy one new though.

I think 4555rancher needs another 455 or he needs to change his username.

Im sure you could find an Ebay fixer upper easy enuff, I'd never buy one new though.

If I could get a 455 cheap enough to resell it I would, but imo you're better off saving the money till a different saw comes around. Money would be better spent on beer than a 455...

I cringe a little when a newbie posts on the chainsaw forum looking for advice on a saw to cut a few cords of wood a year. The firewood forum is a better place to ask. I haven't figured out whether there is more sense or ???? around here :biggrinbounce2:

Anyway, I cut a lot of wood with an 024 and later a 350 before I caught CAD. Not a thing wrong with the non-pro saws for their intended use.
Dok

I cringe a little when a newbie posts on the chainsaw forum looking for advice on a saw to cut a few cords of wood a year. The firewood forum is a better place to ask. I haven't figured out whether there is more sense or ???? around here :biggrinbounce2:

Anyway, I cut a lot of wood with an 024 and later a 350 before I caught CAD. Not a thing wrong with the non-pro saws for their intended use.
Dok

I would rather have an 024 or 350 than a 455.

I'd like a 455 as a backup to my 55 and I can always use another mid size saw. No need to cut anything over 16" with it, I have bigger saws for that.

Dok

That was me a year and some months ago. Unbelievable what gets recommended to cut a few cords per year. Until I found this site, I had no idea that nothing less than a 70cc saw would do as soon as the wood was over 16". I got along for a couple years with a 42cc Craftsman and cut wood way bigger.

That was me a year and some months ago. Unbelievable what gets recommended to cut a few cords per year. Until I found this site, I had no idea that nothing less than a 70cc saw would do as soon as the wood was over 16". I got along for a couple years with a 42cc Craftsman and cut wood way bigger.
Indeed!!!

I limbed and blocked a 24" x 40' ponderosa with my 16" 32cc Poulan 2175. So by comparison, my 455 is a major upgrade. I still prefer the Poulan for limbing, doesn't start as easy, but runs well.

Back