becoming a logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I must be old fashioned

Around these parts there is little to no hand felling. Felling only the occasional danger tree most of the time. Cutting from equiptment is faster, quicker,safer, and about the only way to turn an ok profit in these hard times. Everybody i know here that runs a feller buncher, or CTL processor calls themselves a logger.

its the same here, I was just talking about the term logger. it means different things to different people, and is used differently in other parts of the world. I think my friends that work in the bush might say they are a logger if they were trying to explain what they do to a city person..

here you would be hard pressed to even find a chainsaw on a logging site if you needed one. johnny chainsaw just cant compete with diesel engines and hydraulics when it comes to (relatively) flat ground and small trees.

Last edited:
I know some loggers (dudes who pull wood) that wouldn't want me (cutter) to call myself a logger- can be sensitive.

when it comes to flat ground and small trees.

They use tracked equiptment on steep ground on 30+" hardwoods here. Not tall trees like out west but still huge heavy trees.

Edit: Around here if you work in the woods cutting trees, you can call yourself a logger.

They use tracked equiptment on steep ground on 30+" hardwoods here. Not tall trees like out west but still huge heavy trees.

I am aware of that, but I was just talking about where I live. and there aren't any processor/forwarder operations around here, its been tried but just didnt pan out I guess

but as the trees get bigger and slopes get steeper then the chainsaw becomes the only option.

though I have seen some levelling bunchers and kmc track skidders in the west that were pretty impressive on some steep ground

its funny how many different interpretations of the word logger there is. I had no idea

atleast to me a logger is anyone who cuts, falls, operates logging equiptment (except for the truckers) and deals with the trees after they are out of the woods. although alot of people around here do all of them at the same time. 1 man operations who fell, cut, operate machines, and then deal with scaling and processing to send to the mill. ive even seen some who drive the trucks to the mill too.

I agree, and thats cool, just putting the concept out there. I know some of the truckers like to grouped in with us as well, and if that makes them feel cooler, fine. Lots of them worked the woods in the past anyhow.

yeah i know quite a few guys who either got hurt and decided to drive truck or just got to be too old to work out there and decided to stay in the industry by driving trucks. then there are also people who try it for a few years decide its not for them but want to drive truck, but not serious like long road trips and opt for this option.

Hey there,

I was sort of wondering the same thing as the orginal poster. I'm a young guy (22) in British Columbia, and have been working as a carpenter and as a hunting guide from aug-dec. That being said, I've been looking at getting into the guiding more seriously, and looking at doing some sort of "outdoors" type work for the rest of the year.

I was looking at maybe tree-climbing or "logging" or line-cutting ("logging" to me means running around the bush with a stihl/husky and cork boots). Is this a viable option, or does the logging season and hunting season (namely the fall months) coincide too much? Does a young guy have to take specific courses and such to get on a crew, or can he just show up with a good attitude and a saw, and somebody will teach him? (Of course assuming he isn't a POS and what not.)

Thanks very much guys. I know I most likely sound like a naive idiot, but figured it was worth a shot. Thanks very much -Cameron

(mods, if you feel this is a hijack, feel free to move it)

(Logger)

In my opinion, if you are involved in any job from building the road in to the job, all the way to the trucking it to the mill, then you can call yourself A Logger. That being said there is one exception, If you are just out there logging because it pays well and all you care about is when quiting time is, then you are not a Logger, you are a cull. A real Logger does his job the best he can and loves doing it!

Getting started

Around these parts the only college class you might want to take before you go logging is Spanish. Most of the rigging men around here came from south of the border. They still raise their kids right down there. They have good work ethic and male pride. By that I mean they want to be a man and do a mans job. Not live with your parents and work at Starbucks until you are 30. They are doing these jobs because the young people from around here cant handle it.
As far as the chainsaw thing goes, you have to work your way up to that. They don't hand you a saw on your first day and let you go cutting. First you need to prove yourself as a good rigging man before anyone will give you a shot at cutting. The same goes for running the equipment.

Back