Bee Line as split tail??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowersTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new Bee Line split tail that I use a Blakes Hitch on. Mated to a Hi-V Saftey blue line. After only a handful of climbs it is already showing signs of wear. My question is, is this line not designed for this use?

This is exactly what this was designed for.

Keep on using it. Its going to be just fine. Ive been climbing on the same piece since June w/ no problems whatsoever.

The yellow coloring is technora which has a melting point of 900 degrees and even then doesnt really melt. It more like chars. Youll melt your climbing line before you melt the beeline.

yea same thing happened to me with a new beeline. Keep at it, it'll be fine. However, i really like Samson's new ice line as my eye-eye ST. Works well for a lighter climber, due to the soft texture of the rope. Samson reps at TCI Expo were :rock: - spliced my line for free. $7 split tail!

Are you using the heavy diameter Beeline? The one that is like 10mm?

Typically, when using blakes hitch, people will tie the knot with a split tail of equal diameter to that of their climbing line.

I use beeline with a VT (or whatever closed hitch I'm using that day) It will take a beating and keep going.

Is the wear you're seeing on the black polyester strands?

love
nick

PS- Yale is changing the weave of beeline just a bit. They are tightening it up just a bit. If you like it the way it is, you better stock up now!

I haven't used it yet, but as I understand, the new is better in use, but a little harder to splice.

We'll see how it goes!

love
nick

Are you using the heavy diameter Beeline? The one that is like 10mm?

Typically, when using blakes hitch, people will tie the knot with a split tail of equal diameter to that of their climbing line.

I use beeline with a VT (or whatever closed hitch I'm using that day) It will take a beating and keep going.

Is the wear you're seeing on the black polyester strands?

Yea that was exactly what i saw. I was using an 8mm with an eye-eye splice in it, therefore i was usually a distel as my friction hitch. I actually don't prefer the beeline anymore compared to samson's new syn ropes.

Yea that was exactly what i saw. I was using an 8mm with an eye-eye splice in it, therefore i was usually a distel as my friction hitch. I actually don't prefer the beeline anymore compared to samson's new syn ropes.

Who spliced the beeline?

love
nick

yea same thing happened to me with a new beeline. Keep at it, it'll be fine. However, i really like Samson's new ice line as my eye-eye ST. Works well for a lighter climber, due to the soft texture of the rope. Samson reps at TCI Expo were :rock: - spliced my line for free. $7 split tail!

Where did you fine the Ice Line I would like to give it a try?
Jared

I'm using 8mm Beeline with a Distel. At first I was pretty jumpy about it because it seemed to be wearing fast, but it was just breaking in. I like it fine, hugs the rope, grips and releases easily and can take the heat of a long free air descent. Someone said to watch the black fibers and when they get tatty it's time for a new one.

I don't know about with a Blake's though, I thought that was supposed to be tied the same diameter as the climbing rope.

how does beeline work in the wet

I soaked mine the other day after my rope flopped into a puddle, had to descend about 30' on just the rope. I couldn't tell any difference in the way it gripped the rope but I got soaked as it squeezed the water out and straight onto my lap.

There may be better cord for a Distel but Beeline works pretty well.

crusty bee line

bought a bee line split tail hoping it would hold up better working off the crane. it didn't. so i started tying a taught line hitch with two turns over three turns. this seems to work pretty good.

bought a bee line split tail hoping it would hold up better working off the crane. it didn't. so i started tying a taught line hitch with two turns over three turns. this seems to work pretty good.

Was working of the crane any different on the hitch than regular climbing?

What aspect of it didn't work out for you?

love
nick

Was working of the crane any different on the hitch than regular climbing?

What aspect of it didn't work out for you?

love
nick

Yes. we use a screw link shackle attached above the hook so there is no friction at the tie in point. burns through split tails pretty quickly.

Yes. we use a screw link shackle attached above the hook so there is no friction at the tie in point. burns through split tails pretty quickly.

That's what I was wondering. I use the small diameter beeline on an ART pulley, which would have even less friction than the shackle you're using. I have no problems with it.

What hitch do you use? What do you weigh? How do you climb?

love
nick

Latest posts

Back