Beef Ribs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunting is so good for the soul and so is staying out of the rat race! I in some ways envy the Amish and Mennonites for their way of life something to be said for a more simple life but then again I do love my electric guitar and amp!! Anyhow I will post on the rabbit thing if I get one I will give it a try! The family had some turtle once it was hard to clean but gotta tell ya it was some real good chowder we all liked it but I won't go to those legnths again lots of work for a medium amount of meat but hey I will try anything once!! I would imagine rabbit on the smoker would be great its kinda neutral taste wise so it seems to take on what you want to give it which is where the smoke would come in. Any suggestions on which kind of wood would be best? thanks irishcountry
On the turltes, best way to clean is as follows: Just slit skin around legs. Peel back skin. Remove turtle legs from shell. No need to go thru the trouble of cracking the shell because you just took the legs off and they are the biggest meat producers on the turtle! Very little meat in the shell! Good luck

Wow, from ribs to turtles...

Anyways, on bigger turtles get a pair of channellocks and crack the layer connects the upper and lower shells.

There's a little meat on tail, and a decent amount in the neck area of good size turtle. Plus, there's some meat in the area that is equivalent to the backstraps. On smaller turtles it wouldn't be worth it.

The white meat and the dark meat have very different flavors. White meat is great, the dark meat is an acquired taste...kinda like duck vs chicken.:)

If you can find some softshell/smoothshell snappers they're basically all white meat:biggrinbounce2:

Yeah the turtle thing was an expirence like I said it made a mean chowder the whole family ate it just seemed like a long process but like anything the more you do it the better you get I remember the first deer I processed all on my own and that took quite some time too!! I bet rabbit and apple would be a good match I have some dead apple limbs I chunked up to dry once they are I will try it! I had a good laugh at that BBQ gator too! Hey that could come in real handy at a hunting camp all it was missing was the keg-o-rator! Ha Good thread keep it going!

Back