Been a while since I’ve purchased a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
But made an offer on eBay for the Shindaiwa 550.
Looks to be in pretty good shape other than a home made repair to the case.
The chain brake internals are missing but I had a spare to put on until I can get the other one rebuilt.

Also had an issue with it not shutting off via the switch. Replaced the switch without any luck. I was just about to get on here and ask for some advice when I remembered these have a ground wire from the case to a screw in the top handle. The ground wire was intact but the screw was loose. Tightened it up and it works as it’s supposed to.
I haven’t checked compression but it fires right up and sounds good. Looking forward to trying it out soon.
These older Shindaiwas seem to be pretty good firewood saws.
1b5b52fdca223c43c07a1b9a0671c944.jpg

db83aad2f710b8fb4f4cdee460c6726a.jpg

6d1ad47317d8df8ea141d91707bb45e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shindaiwa made great saws. Very dependable and were known for easy starts. Their sales pitch was,”first to start, last to quit”. I had a 575 and still have a 350. They were hindered by a lack of dealer support. Now part of Echo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don`t own any but have worked on many, up here in the cold winters the plastic oil pump drive strips out fairly often. Just have to run winter grade or thin the oil down , a few customers have begun running 30 wt in the cold.

Back