Being home on a Thursday can really pay off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In continuing my day of R&R, I decided to pick up some Bud Light Platinum's on the way thru town tonight. Anyone else try this beer yet? Enjoying them in front of the Quadra-Fire right now.

I tried it. It is okay. The after taste is the worst part, but it doesn't last too long. I'll stick with Busch Light.

Hi Guys:

I heat entirely with wood. Burn 5 full cords a season. My LP furnace is turned down to 45 degrees and never kicks in. I have a 500 gal LP tank and pay an $85 lease fee per year on it. They say this is to cover all maintenance. But they've never done any maintenance on the tank. Had it for 10 years so paid $850 in lease fees. I use around 200 gallons of LP for cooking per year on a gas stove. I'd like to dump the 500 gallon tank and get two or three 100 lb tanks. Can I use any 100 lb tank? Would these from Lowes for $129 each be OK? Are they a hassle to get filled? They must weigh a ton when filled, but I have a dolly to handle them. I just hate forking over that annual lease fee. When transporting them, must they be standing upright, or can they be laid down?

Shop Worthington Pro Grade 100 Lb. Propane Cylinder at Lowes.com

Don <><

I have two of those 100lbers and the companies don't like to fill them from the truck, so you have to haul them in and yes they are heavy.

Now you can buy your own big tank, just start looking for used ones. What you have paid so far for leasing would have gotten you one easy.

Almost certainly the best way is to sell it and buy a propane one.

You could very well be correct on that. The kits I have looked at so far are expensive. I've been holding out and just keeping me peepers peeled for used units as well. Some times the big RV rigs have propane gennies, but usually they are diesel, same as the main engine on the rig.

There's a propane Onan on craiglist now for sale in Atlanta. Might wanta check that out, zogger.

Around here when the electricity goes and we have no power, I light the lantern and cook in the fireplace. The crane cooks pretty well. My grandma did it. So I don't guess I'm about it. :msp_smile:

same thing happened to me today with the oil man. $4.25 per gallon, I only let him pump in 100 gallons, I think that should get me through the year.

Sheew... $4.25?? where in CT? I just got my tank topped up for $3.70 in Mass, close to the CT/RI border.

Bud Light Platinum? What is that, reconstituted Zima? :D

Crap, I'm out of beer....

I never run out all filled and aging with 6 in the kegerators
these sit an the rack off the floor in a cool area aging
cornyrack.jpg

kegerator31.jpg

the one on the left has 6 taps
kegerator51.jpg

the Hoegaarden I cultured the yeast out of a 12 pack for a wheat beer i was brewing
My wife does buy herself beer at time she likes carona:bang: I have 8 beers on tap

Last edited:
Soooo....SS396driver.....did I mention that I was available for adoption? I'm really pretty civilized; I am housebroken and only pee on the floor if I drink more than 38 beers in a sitting.

Eagerly awaiting your reply!

Mom & Dad are both in their mid '80's, and heat with propane. They have a pellet stove insert, less mess than wood, and the bags are easier to carry carrying in wood (they said). When they bought the house they had a rental propane tank, and was on the "top it off once a month or so" plan. After the first year we bought two 1,000 gallon tanks at a local auction, and I referbished the tanks. Their propane bill is 50% what it was when they were on the rental program. For some reason they aren't buying as much propane now, and the price is cheaper because they can price shop.

I have a feeling they were paying for propane that they weren't getting..... When they bought the house, and rented the tank, the propane co. set the tank on a slope. Not a month later, the tank rolled over during a high wind storm. Luckily, they hadn't moved into the house yet, and the tank was still turned off. The company charged them to re-set the tank. I was furious when I found out (after the fact) that the propane company charged them to re-set the tank.

They buy enough fuel for the year during the summer, and the 20kw genset is hooked up to the tanks too. No worries about going without heat or electricity now. We stash 2 tons of pellets in the pole barn for the pellet stove insert.

Depends on the BTU output of the large burner :) Some of the nicer stoves have a rapid boil option that puts out more btu's. I went a looked at a middle of the road stove on Home depots website and it was a 9500 btu burner,

So if there are ~ 95k btu in a gallon of propane.
4.2 Pounds per gallon 100 lbs cylinder * 80 % full = 80/4.2 = 19 Gallons

95k btu /9.5k burner = 10 hours per gallon

19 Gallons * 10 hours = 190 hours.

190 / 30 (days a month) = 6.3 months. :)

Assuming my math is correct or at least kind of correct. Hahahah

Edit - ok so there is 91,502 btus per gal, so you will get slightly less than my calc. Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back