Being Prepared

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you take with you other the than your chainsaw to the woods.

I have a metal amo box. That holds my files. spark plugs, extra chain,sprocket, Extra scrench, And other misc. tools The box is stored in the truck. along with my peckaroon,splitting maul,20 foot cable choker,chains,
First aid kit, canteen, clip on belt that holds wedges and spencer tape
My chaps hold a scrench. hard hat on head. "sometimes".
oh yea T.P.
I already Know their's something I forgot. :bang:

Gas and Oil.

i only take saws, oil, gas and a small toolbox.

and a gallon of water in the car...

i only live 5 mins from my woodlot

I got my sawcase which includes: a chainsaw, filing kit, bucking/felling wedges, sprocket greaser, and scrench. I would probably take an extra chain, but I haven't afforded one as of yet.

I also take a 1 ga. can of gas and bar/chain oil if I figure I'll run through the tanks. I usually throw it in the trailer of my 4 wheeler and head out in the woods.

Hickory Nick

Grande Dog said:
Depending on were you're at, a cell phone or a CB can be a life saver.

Ta heck with a CB. Get your ham license!

$10 for a book to study the 35 question test (no morse code)

$14.00 to take the test

$70 - $200 for 2 meter walky (or get a used for much cheaper)

2M can go a LOOOOONG way (especailly with a good repeater). I did 60 miles to a repeater (mountain top to mountain top) and that repeated to a friend 20 miles from the repeater. Heck one repeater covers 5 states, VA, KY, TN, W.VA, and NC.

Sorry Grande Dog, gotta pitch amateur radio a little bit. Speaking of which, I need to have a test session sometime ;)

Thanks,
Nick

Rotax Robert said:
Your Pickup,tractor or a good freind if your packing all of that.

Rotax

Here in Michigan the Huron National Forest is my back yard.
So when I go firewood hunting one never knows what Two track you will end up on.
I also cut and split on the spot.

HickoryNick said:
Ta heck with a CB. Get your ham license!

$10 for a book to study the 35 question test (no morse code)

$14.00 to take the test

$70 - $200 for 2 meter walky (or get a used for much cheaper)

2M can go a LOOOOONG way (especailly with a good repeater). I did 60 miles to a repeater (mountain top to mountain top) and that repeated to a friend 20 miles from the repeater. Heck one repeater covers 5 states, VA, KY, TN, W.VA, and NC.

Sorry Grande Dog, gotta pitch amateur radio a little bit. Speaking of which, I need to have a test session sometime ;)

Thanks,
Nick

I grew up talking on my dad's to our friends each time we traveled a few hours to see them. I'll never forget wa5uig and n5xyl...My dad's been out of it for so long, I don't think he's even registered anymore...too bad cell phones came along!!!

I work out in the bush, middle of nowhere, cell phones don't work anywhere here. We have a radio in the pickup that has the logging co. and the helicopter frequencies, we drive on radio controlled roads so it is always on that channel, we can call them for help as well. We also have a sat. phone. Pretty good setup, we can have a helicopter there within 1/2 hour to take someone to the hospital and possibly the airport for a medivac flight. I carry spare stuff for my MS200 in my backpack. In the truck there is a big 1st aid kit, oxygen, spineboard, etc. I have a whistle, knife and a pressure bandage on me all the time. If you go firewood cutting it is best to take someone else along, even if they just sit in the truck listening to tunes and filing thier nails.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Ta heck with a radio, I carry an EPIRB. Just flip the switch and let the rescue come to me!

I think I have one of those laying around the shack I might use start taking it with me. I could just grab an ole ELT and let the CAP find me:)

Just giving ya a hard time.

clearance said:
If you go firewood cutting it is best to take someone else along, even if they just sit in the truck listening to tunes and filing thier nails.

If you got someone filing their nails in the truck, she will probably go into a panic when she sees a severed leg. You'll spend most of your time hopping around trying to calm HER down.

If it's a guy filing his nails, well, I think you might want to rethink your friendship...that or you've been watching to much brokeback mountain :laugh:

I know I'm gonna get burned for this one :blob2: lol

fishhuntcutwood said:
Ta heck with a radio, I carry an EPIRB. Just flip the switch and let the rescue come to me!

I hope you don't expect a prompt rescue! If you were going to bleed out you'ld be long gone before anyone came for you.

Back