bench grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juliano

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am forever sharpening chains and i wont do it during the work day, i keep 6 or 7 chains for each saw and just swap them as they get dull. sharpening the chains properly takes much time,is tedious and boring. im looking at a catalogue that offers a oregon bench grinder or a mini grinder, can anyone tell me if this is a good way to go?

Can't go wrong with a bench grinder, I am new to that method, very new, I have to say that it makes one hell of a difference. I still hand file after each fill up of fuel and oil, but it is good to know that I don't have to pay to have them brought back after many hand filings. Here is the one that I bought at Tractor Supply, time will tell how well it holds up. So far so good.
chainsharpener022.jpg

I bought the timber tough which is bigger than the one in the picture above for 130.00. It is better than any other grinder I've owned. I bought the 350.00 speedstar I think it was from bailey's and this timber tuff is by far better. The wheels are fairly cheap also.:cheers:

I bought the timber tough which is bigger than the one in the picture above for 130.00. It is better than any other grinder I've owned. I bought the 350.00 speedstar I think it was from bailey's and this timber tuff is by far better. The wheels are fairly cheap also.:cheers:
Why do you like the timber tuff better ? Not disagreeing, just wondering. I've got the Jolly Star and it does a good job, just got to be gentle with the vise.

I just googled the timber tuff, looks to be the chinese knock-off of the 511a, same as Northern Tool except for the paint color.

OP
Search - there is a chain sharpening forum with a thread on the NT grinder. Which can usually be got for $90+ and may require a little sanding, shimming, or return for a good unit. My $90 one just required a little sanding.

OP
Search - there is a chain sharpening forum with a thread on the NT grinder. Which can usually be got for $90+ and may require a little sanding, shimming, or return for a good unit. My $90 one just required a little sanding.
:agree2:
Best bang for the buck.
Have had mine for about 2 years,no problems.
Does a good job.

I am glad you didn't like that grinder because I sure do.

This subject has been beaten to death many times.
a search of this site will show that.
the Northern Tool grinder thread made the decison for me.
very little tweeking and works wonders for under $100..
hundreds of chains later and not one problem with mine :)
upper left of the pic..

attachment.php

I bought the Northern Tool grinder this spring. Been cutting my wood during the summer and a lot lately. Easy set up and does a great job. Well worth the $100 +/- you'll spend on it. It's already paid for itself this year at the $7 a chain my local shop charges - for sharpening.

This subject has been beaten to death many times.
a search of this site will show that.
the Northern Tool grinder thread made the decison for me.
very little tweeking and works wonders for under $100..
hundreds of chains later and not one problem with mine :)
upper left of the pic..

attachment.php
wow! didint i see you on that tv show hoarders?

wow! didint i see you on that tv show hoarders?

LOL !! thats FUNNY Harry !!!!!!!
havent you seen my pix before ??

Yes i have run out of room :( storing saws outside under tarps now..
40ft trailer full,need more room..

Why do you like the timber tuff better ? Not disagreeing, just wondering. I've got the Jolly Star and it does a good job, just got to be gentle with the vise.

I just googled the timber tuff, looks to be the chinese knock-off of the 511a, same as Northern Tool except for the paint color.

For reference the Jollys are made in italy

compared to the other ones that are made in china

i sell the jollys http://www.cmsmallengines.net/cheap...aw-parts-en/chainsaw-sharpening-supplies.html

the super jolly is the one that is hydraulic assist built solid and in stock from the manufacture and is drop shippable thruout canada and usa

Free shipping on all the Jollys from Canada and usa customers

Last edited:
The timber tuff is built more solid not as much flex after it bottoms out on the stop, feels like the motor is smoother with more power and seems to give a better edge which could just be the different brand of wheels.

Never said I did'nt like the one you got from me Saw Dr, just like this one better. I did'nt plan on buying another grinder but seen these at Rural King and figured for the price I would give it a shot and I'm glad I did. I could almost buy 3 of these for the price of the one you got from me by the time I paid shipping.

Not saying for everybody to sell what they got and run out and buy one of these just saying that I like mine.

Oregon 511A

I just got this Oregon 511A off craigslist this evening for $125. Will set this one up for .325 chain, then I won't have to swap out grinding wheels. Will use the cheapo HF grinder for 3/8LP.
Saved some bucks over a new one and while it isn't the 511AX it should work fine. The fella that had it is going to square grind so he let this one go.

Since I'm not racing, the round grind is sufficient and I do most of my sharpening by hand.

Unless you're in a big hurry, keep an eye out for a used grinder and save yourself some bucks.

attachment.php

The timber tuff is built more solid not as much flex after it bottoms out on the stop, feels like the motor is smoother with more power and seems to give a better edge which could just be the different brand of wheels. <snip>
woodchuck - or anyone with the "green" grinder. Could you post some close up pictures like these so we could compare with the NT grinder. These pics are of the NT grinder:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The main reason is I'd like to know if they are the same machine with different colors.

Latest posts

Back