Bench mounted chain sharpeners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marky Mark said:
As Russ stated that's all the grinder most need, but once you run a Square ground chain your hooked for life.

Russ it's nice that the site is back to normal the best thing was HK.

Agreed and agreed!

Would somebody like to tell me what you mean by square ground chain. Is it better for all round cutting, Would it be good for cutting stumps? any good for milling?

Sbusta said:
Would somebody like to tell me what you mean by square ground chain. Is it better for all round cutting, Would it be good for cutting stumps? any good for milling?

Square ground chain is done with an angular file or grinding stone, there are no radii imparted to the cutting faces of the chain. It is a more efficient cutter than round filed or ground but it is more difficult to master and field dress and does not stand up as well to less than ideal conditions.

It would not be a good chain for stumps however I would expect it to do well milling, as long as the wood is clean and knot free.

Russ

Marky Mark said:
Hey Vinnie,
I never cold find that diagram to make that grinder go backwards, did you work on that. The trapping is a little slow right now since the crops aren't all cut. There's plenty of time to lay steel and hang fur.

As Russ stated that's all the grinder most need, but once you run a Square ground chain your hooked for life.

Russ it's nice that the site is back to normal the best thing was HK.

no, did not change the wiring, that grinder works well enough for what i need it for without reversing the motor. i sharpened up and evened out several old chains and they are good as new now.....i now keep one chain aside just for stumpin'...thats where all my chain damage has come from.
good luck trappin'!

PS...thanks again for that grinder!!

Sbusta said:

I use a square ground chain on my 32" chainsaw
Stihl RSLFK (Also RSLK and RSLHK are square ground)
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

I feel it cuts faster.

Here is a link which is from a section of the Oregon brand "Maintenance and Safety Manual" which discusses sharpening a square ground chain. I use a double bevel file which is a flat file with bevels on the sides.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_06.pdf

Russ

All I did was add a switch to the existing wiring. It is a clean install tho, the switch is installed in the plastic cover on the back of the light and there's no exposed wires. The 3 extra poles on the factory switch are for power on/off. I did a write up on how to do this and sent it to a couple of other AS members but didn't save a copy for myself. If you're serious about doing the conversion I'll tear my grinder apart and do it again.

Rick

I been using the 511A for about 6mo..... I realy like it.
No more waiting on the hardware store to get around to sharpening my chains, money well spent.

The 511 comes in handy as a place to hang chain too! I've had this one since 1983 and it has ground 100 miles of chain. Now I use it to take out the gullets on square ground chain. It has given me no problem, except I droped it 10 years ago and broke the adjustment knob on the back, so I just put some vise grips on it to loosen it.
John
DSC_0039.jpg

I Use A Stihl .i Use It Only When The Chain Damage By Nail Any F.o.d. Then I Will Finish It Of By Hand I Find It Work For Me.

Speaking of Sq grind!!!
I recently recived a 32" loop of Sq ground chain.
Nobody in my area has a Sq grinder.(or has ever heard of one for that matter)
I'm looking for someone to grind it for me, to see how it cuts.
This will give me an idea of what the world of SQ ground chain is all about.(never ran one)
Any takers???

Thanks Chip......

Square ground chain off the roll doesn't cut any better than round chisel off the roll.
Chip, Woodsjunkie is in Ohio and he may grind your chain for you.
A well filed round ground chain buts as fast as sq. chain for work, it's just that sq. chain is much smoother. Sq.chain is the basis of the race chain. Sq. chain for working was relatively unheard of East of the Rocky Mountians until AS put it on the map.
John

Gypo Logger said:
Square ground chain off the roll doesn't cut any better than round chisel off the roll.
Gypo Logger said:
......True!, but......

A well filed round ground chain cuts as fast as sq. chain for work, it's just that sq. chain is much smoother.John
.......Ahhhhh Bullsh!t! Maybe your square ground chain, but not mine! If ground properly, square ground chain is much faster.

Ah Bullsh!t Dennis! You take a 72CL and I'll take a 72LG and we'll file them right out of the box. Then we'll see who's faster you cull! :blob2:
John

Gypo Logger said:
Sq. chain for working was relatively unheard of East of the Rocky Mountians until AS put it on the map.
John

uhhh....Game of Logging might have had something to do with putting square ground on the map in the East. :)

Russ

jokers said:
uhhh....Game of Logging might have had something to do with putting square ground on the map in the East. :)

Russ
Oh, I see......, you don't want to give AS any credit for putting sq. chain on the map... What's Game of Logging? It sounds like something ChainsawWorld devised. Tapps Tips possibly? :blob2:

Why I asked was Chip said he needed to find someone with a square qrinder to see how his chain cut. Shouldn't need a grinder til after you use it, I figured.

Dennis Cahoon said:
Gypo Logger said:
Square ground chain off the roll doesn't cut any better than round chisel off the roll........Ahhhhh Bullsh!t! Maybe your square ground chain, but not mine! If ground properly, square ground chain is much faster.

AH SHUT UP What would you know about filing a chain anyway. By the way how's that 2100 coming along. I thinking I might have to send it to DozerDan for some of his new Redneckology.

I like mine Jelly filled :)

Back