Bent bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breymeyerfam

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got a used bar off ebay, but it is bent. :censored: how much bend is acceptable? it is a stihl es 3003 32"
attachment.php

You can employ the use of a block of wood, 4lb sledge and beat the ever-loving crap out of it to get er straight. Ive done it before with good success. It was not a bad bend, but it was there.

I just replaced a couple of tips. They were 15 dollars each for Oregon. The shop also, straighten and smooth out the edge for 25 dollars total.

Place a two by four at each end and put a little weight on it with your foot and use a staight edge to check results (four foot level)
Did the fleabay seller discribe as alittle bent?? prolly not. If you paid for it through paypal you can open a dispute and request return of money or partial refund. Good luck with it
:cheers:

bar looks straight, but tip looks bent and seperating from the sproket. going to ask for 50% back. paid 47 shipped. what does a stihl 3003-650-2539 cost? does new tips come with the rivets? whats the best procedure for replacing tips... oh wait, I know...... search........crap.

put it on a saw, put a chain on it, boar in to full tips length then lever your saw to your left or right to line it back up.

hell that things not bent!! proping a saw with a hot bar on its tip will do that kinda damage.

Now if it dosent cut true with a new chain :blob5:

It doesn't look bad. I think I would try to bend it back. If not tips are not expensive.
Next time you need a bar p.m. me my local dealer was running a special on 36" bar and chains for 100 bucks. 32 would have been a little cheaper.

yes, if it bothers you bend it back and hammer the rivets with a ball pean hammer. It might pull in by just tightening the rivets.

I truth, looks pretty damn good to me. If you'd bought it from me I'd not give you anything back... used bars have warts.

Last edited:
yes, if it bothers you bend it back and hammer the rivets with a ball pean hammer. It might pull in by just tightening the rivets.

I truth, looks pretty damn good to me. If you'd bought it from me I'd not give you anything back... used bars have warts.

I've seen recent pictures of your bars... I don't think I'd buy one from you. :D

I bent it back and tightened up the rivits and its pretty straight now. also stuck a square on the rails and wow... they were not even close to square. decided to rig up a rail grinding jig. they squared up pretty good. this was my setup:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There was nothing wrong with that bar but I am afflicted with the same disease and would also of straitened and trued the rails.

Back