best 50 cc chainsaw,,, is mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that with makita marketing ability and a little effort the Dolmar name could step up a lot. It seems that those who know, have a respect for them, whether they are their favorite or not.

The dealer here sold the package he bought of 421s, and 5105s pretty fast. The 421s are gone. He had 4 of the 5105s, when I bought mine the other day. I got the last 5105 he had for one friend, and there is one more that he can get,,,, but,,,, it is a 2012, that wasn't sold, and nobody paid attention to it. When he called to see if he could get more the guy said no. Then the guy called him back a few hours later about this one and he called me. I know it's the one with the epoxy on the H adjustment, but he will clean it out for me if I want it, and told me that it would be gone over and without issue.

Is there any problems anyone knows of with the carb on the 2012, or was it just environmental stuff that forced the epoxy on that year?
Also would there be any problems internally from sitting?

I know that lots of motorized products can sit at a suppliers, or dealers for a long time before sold, sometimes a few years, but is there such a thing as too long?

The 2 year warranty applies, and it is hard to beat the price of these, but if it will probably be a dog, I'm going to pass, and one guy will have to do with a mid saw lol.

Not sure about shelf life. I suppose that would be more relevant to storage conditions. I bought a Ps-6400 that had gone unsold since 2007. Its flawless.

If you bought that 6400 recently Alf, then I probably don't need to be concerned about shelf life on a 2012. It's a new saw that never made it to a dealer.

I'm guessing that the carb then, was the same as newer ones, and no issues but I'm not sure. I did read that the epoxy in the H screw, was to prevent any tuning, but again I am not sure if there was a carb issue behind that. I know it's set to run lean. I run all my 2 stroke stuff a bit rich, and a little adjustment here and there helps.
I hope someone chimes in, about the carb.

I think I'll keep the 2012 if I buy it, and give the other guys the other 2 which are 2016.

At $489 Canadian, $378 USD, with heat, and 2 year warrnaty the price is hard to beat. thus the "best is mine" thread, the 261, or the 550, with heat are about $360 more. I don't think parts will be an issue, with makita being the same.

I also appreciate the reading I did here off and on for the last month. The way I figured it is our cutting is going up 5 to 6 times, maybe more, and we will be using a more powerful saw. 10x more chance for a mishap? A bit of product learning, and mishap prevention was my motive.

The Dolmar 5105 is a screaming deal here in Canada, hundreds of dollars less than the competition.
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about that other one being new-old stock. It comes with the same warranty.

Tallguys, the dealer grabbed the saw, and had it there Friday for stock, I called him Saturday and said I would take it but wanted the epoxy out. He pulled it up on the counter and looked just 2 black caps on the H, and the L, with no adjustment without removing, which he said he wouldn't because of warranty, and his guy fired it up, st the idle and it ran fine. No epoxy. Is the 2012 epoxy a myth, or just not in Canada? I picked it up yesterday, 2 black caps no epoxy I could find anywhere. Is it under the caps?

One of my boys went to the farm today, and dropped off the other 2 saws. They both said what the H--l is this, or similar, he said I don't know talk to the old man.

#1 feedback, Are you crazy Gord I can't accept that. My answer OK don't use it, if you don't want but it's yours now. Him wow, thanks.
#2 feedback, Hey where's the spare chain with this saw? with some lols Me, Go buy your own with some lols. Him, much like the first.

Both these guys are ends meat farmers, who have other jobs too. I'm feeling kinda good, because I could tell it was great for both.

Any recommendations for stihl chain? 3/8 .50. 64 D/L. I want to compare for myself with some kickback reduction, then just go with the chain I like the best down the road with no confusion. Is there a better chain then stihl, or oregon?

I was going to buy a loop of carbide tipped, but the price is well above the returns I'm thinking now. 8 chains for 1, and I can sharpen regular chain myself, Some of our cutting will be fire damaged, and some will be cut, and dragged (some dirt on it) before we buck it.

We do try to be safe, but we aren't pros and we know it.

--I have one loop of oregon 72lgx, that I can keep or exchange, would the vanguard 72V, be better for my uses, cut fast, and last a bit longer between sharpening?
72V is the only safety chain Oregon lists for my Dolmar bar. oregon options 72 LGX, 72 LPX, 72V,

--In Stihl I have no idea?

I know 10 - 15 cords a year isn't a whole bunch to some, but it is to me. I want to do it as efficiently as I can. I'm not out there full time, and I want to R&R, and work on other things as well.

I think I'm going to try a couple loops of stihl RM, and see how it goes. I just talked to a buddies kid who does clearing, and reclamation work for the oil patch, and pipeline. He runs a cat mostly now, but has worked a few years behind a chainsaw. He thinks RM will stay sharp a bit longer with a bit of dirt or fire carbon.

A quick update on my 5105. A buddy and I cut about 22 cords. He has a 362 Husky that he bought about 10 years ago, and has cut about 40 cords. His had slightly more grunt, it seemed, but felt heavier, and didn't seem to cut any faster. We both liked handling the 5105 better. Incredibly easy to start warm or cold. My other 2 buddies are very impressed with theirs too. I'm glad I stumbled onto that deal.

Tallguys, the dealer grabbed the saw, and had it there Friday for stock, I called him Saturday and said I would take it but wanted the epoxy out. He pulled it up on the counter and looked just 2 black caps on the H, and the L, with no adjustment without removing, which he said he wouldn't because of warranty, and his guy fired it up, st the idle and it ran fine. No epoxy. Is the 2012 epoxy a myth, or just not in Canada? I picked it up yesterday, 2 black caps no epoxy I could find anywhere. Is it under the caps?

One of my boys went to the farm today, and dropped off the other 2 saws. They both said what the H--l is this, or similar, he said I don't know talk to the old man.

#1 feedback, Are you crazy Gord I can't accept that. My answer OK don't use it, if you don't want but it's yours now. Him wow, thanks.
#2 feedback, Hey where's the spare chain with this saw? with some lols Me, Go buy your own with some lols. Him, much like the first.

Both these guys are ends meat farmers, who have other jobs too. I'm feeling kinda good, because I could tell it was great for both.
All the Dolmar/Makita saws I 've delt with have ad plastic limiting caps on the carb mix screws no epoxy The Emissions have to allow an amount of adjustment dependent on the wood you're cutting I would suggest clan wood = full chisel chain Dirty would Semi Chisel I find I get best results from Stihl or Carlton Chain

Old
I tend to agree. I prefer the .325 chain, especially as others have said with a good bar (Tsumura, etc.), but since you already have it and the dealer doesn't want to work with you, use it! You may find it preferable to you. If you make the change in the future, pay attention to the bar tip that you choose. A larger tip bar on these saws (11-tooth for example) will be less prone to throwing chains when in a bind than a 9-tooth.

Edit: I mean bar sprocket, not drive sprocket (totally different topic). Some folks get them confused when we are discussing here.
Old thread BUT, While im up stoking the wood heater dropped by to kill some time.
I would like to TOSS my log on the fire and AGREE that BAR tip width does infact effect Chains dropping and I'm pizzed at my Echo dealer.
It's been a while but screw me and I will remenber that I got screwed. Kinda like the women at the Harvey Wienstien trial I want revenge.
So I purchased an Echo cs352 once upon a time. Had it about a month chain dropped snapped the cheezy plastic catcher right off the cheezy plastic clutch cover. Warranty! Right! NOPE. Dealer could not, would not buy a 12 bucks or about that part for me. I had to pay.
Well I super glued the chain catcher back to the clutch cover then melted more plastic around on it to brace up the catcher which SHOULD HAVE BEEN METAL from the factory and away I went. But after looking at the cheezy bar which came on the otherwise decent saw, I realized the reason the chain dropped in the first place was probably because of the Crappy bar and chain. So I put a better bar and chain on the cs352 and now love the saw. Notice the Sthil 024 and 026 have wider bar tips. Both use .325 pitch chains like my cs490 but frankly I like using the cs490 and cs590 more than my Sthils. Ill probably clean and tune both the 024 and 026 and sell them later this year.
Frankly the Echo saws feel better in my hands and my cs490 cuts faster than the MS 024 Sthil and keeps up with the MS 026.
Frankly I like Echo products and so does my baby brother, only 1 brother out of we three still runs Sthil. I dropped this big oak with my Echo cs590 as seen in the photo. It has the 27 inch Echo b&c. 3/8 pitch.
I cut smaller limbs with ny cs352 and bigger limbs using the Echo cs490. Bucked with the xs 590. I sold my old VERY GOOD Poulan Pro 60 cc saw because it was getting old. The ONLY echo I've complained about is the chain catcher on the cs352. Heck even the old Poulan has metal. I think Echo saws may be a little under appreciated. But, me, I like Ladies in blue jeans with no make up. Simple things that stand up to hard use and get the job done please me. Besides that fancy don't suit my fancy. Echoes may not be your cup of tea but like a country girl, they're always there ready to go when I am. Every man gotta make his own choices. My brothers 391 Sthil, with him on the handle, don't shame my cs590 with me on the trigger. Sometimes it's more the Operater than the Saw. Just saying.

Attachments

• received_2176233962631097.jpeg
    received_2176233962631097.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
I wasn't going to open this old thread, but since you did Wow I'm going to make a couple comments.
I have however scoured and read a bunch on this site.
First these 5105s are great saws, they all start easy and have a lot of grunt for a 50cc.
I kept the oddball 18"-17" 3/8 bar and chain, instead of changing to .325. They all rip just fine.
For stock bars they seem to be pretty good quality, so I bought one extra for each saw.
The chain that came with them also felt good and cut well, but is back up.
I purchased 2 extra stihl chains for each saw.
I also purchased a carb adjust kit, and a tach, to check tune here and there. I actually got pretty good at tuning, Ha
I have only dropped, and cut about 25 cords, but not a hiccup. Cutting time is here again, and mine started right up after sitting for just about a year. One of my neighbors is over 50 cords with his, and loves it. Great power and not too heavy.
Other than the saw my best purchases were stump vices and the German made stihl sharpener. I am impressed with that sharpener.
I have gone to 40/1 with all my 2 strokes, and everything is running just fine. Nothing but shell vpower non ethanol.
If anyone is looking for a pro 50cc, and wants to save some $, you won't beat these.
I was looking for one more for a friend who wanted one, but nothing up here. I did find a site in the US, that still had a few for $280.00
My buddy was going to buy one, and bring it up here, but he said Makita Canada would only warranty Canadian saws.
The quality, and price along with a 2 year warranty, is hard to beat at $280. Makita has service outlets in many areas in the US.

Thanks again for the previous newbie education. These saws are the real deal.

I wasn't going to open this old thread, but since you did Wow I'm going to make a couple comments.
I have however scoured and read a bunch on this site.
First these 5105s are great saws, they all start easy and have a lot of grunt for a 50cc.
I kept the oddball 18"-17" 3/8 bar and chain, instead of changing to .325. They all rip just fine.
For stock bars they seem to be pretty good quality, so I bought one extra for each saw.
The chain that came with them also felt good and cut well, but is back up.
I purchased 2 extra stihl chains for each saw.
I also purchased a carb adjust kit, and a tach, to check tune here and there. I actually got pretty good at tuning, Ha
I have only dropped, and cut about 25 cords, but not a hiccup. Cutting time is here again, and mine started right up after sitting for just about a year. One of my neighbors is over 50 cords with his, and loves it. Great power and not too heavy.
Other than the saw my best purchases were stump vices and the German made stihl sharpener. I am impressed with that sharpener.
I have gone to 40/1 with all my 2 strokes, and everything is running just fine. Nothing but shell vpower non ethanol.
If anyone is looking for a pro 50cc, and wants to save some $, you won't beat these.
I was looking for one more for a friend who wanted one, but nothing up here. I did find a site in the US, that still had a few for $280.00
My buddy was going to buy one, and bring it up here, but he said Makita Canada would only warranty Canadian saws.
The quality, and price along with a 2 year warranty, is hard to beat at $280. Makita has service outlets in many areas in the US.

Thanks again for the previous newbie education. These saws are the real deal.
Several things. I FULLY agree with your assessment. 40/1 is my choice and non ethanol high octane fuel.
Yes that saw looks like a great saw.
I've NEVER seen on only pictures.
I'm familiar with Sthil, Poulan, MaCollough, Homelight, and a few others like Husky and Echo.
The warranty may be good but I don't know who to trust. I do know I don't trust Echo dealers to cover a warranty. I've had a bitter experience.
The thing that I like about Echo is what made me comfortable with owning one and that is. They are Plentiful around here.
That kinda tells me MAYBE if I need a part I can find it
Where you are that may not be the case.
I would love to run saws I've never run before but Shreveport Louisiana is the nearest place Saws are sold and the vendors are offering mostly common name saws.
I do like my Echo cs490 BUT a different saw may better for you.
As far as Old Threads I think they are better than starting new ones.
Less clutter, easier to find. New people can get a lot of entertainment. Now that you and I have raised this one from the dust bin others may like reading along. Have a great day.

Check for a Makita service center in your area. If there is one they will service it. call them first. They have all the parts. I have not needed any warranty, but have called them and asked a few questions, prior to and after I bought these 3. The service shop is great,,, "here".

I set these up a little off of top revs, about 13.200 I think.. Watch out for epoxy in carb screw adjustments. If they have, insist on a new carb without, or that epoxy is removed, and warranty remains, and get it set very slightly rich.

If one saw mid size, good dealer support, and money not an issue, I would buy a husky 550.

Having the Makita factory shop right here in town, the fact that they are good people, and the huge money I saved, made the Dolmar 5105 pro saw a no brainer. These saws are par or better then anything 50cc.
Just my opinion after a couple trouble free seasons. They are little beasts, start easy. have power above their size, anti vibration is great. You won't need it down there but mine came with heated handle too. I love that feature here.

echo here is not well thought of either, as far as service or warranty goes. I lucked out and bought an echo weed trimmer about 8 years ago. Other then a tune up last year it has been great. Others I know won't touch echo again, for anything. There are better choices I think, and I am not brand loyal. I am quality with good price loyal.

echo here is not well thought of either, as far as service or warranty goes. I lucked out and bought an echo weed trimmer about 8 years ago. Other then a tune up last year it has been great. Others I know won't touch echo again, for anything. There are better choices I think, and I am not brand loyal. I am quality with good price loyal.
Yes the crappy Dealer Service is Bit*h slapping the customers. They are arrogant like as if they are the only game Cock in the Hen House. The Super Guy that I bought 4 Echo saws is GONE from the Dealership. I think I got him fired by giving him 5 stars on line and telling people he'd give them a great deal. After he left (reason unknown but suspected) the few times I have go back to the dealer I felt like a priest in a whorehouse.
But the Echo saws are working great for me. Next time I'll probably buy the best deal even if its Flea Bay.

Good info thanks, I will start at 1/2 oil flow and tweak it. I thought the carbide chain was too pricey, and I did a little more reading after I posted, then grizz, and Aaron confirmed. I can buy 7 to 8 chains for the price of one up here, I think 4 will do just fine. I have 2 and now 2 more to buy. I won't say I can sharpen with the best, but I'm fairly decent at it. There is a local shop 2 miles from home that does a great job on them too for $10, that's $7.50 for yall down south. These guys will sharpen the carbide, but ouch Now I have 2 saws, I always worried about pinching my mini so I was really careful, and still jammed it up a few times. Good thing I had a spare bar.

Another question, the air filter is just a really fine mesh, should there be some factory foam pieces that come with it too?

FYI, the 261, and 550xp with heat, are both pushing $850 here, and I think the 5105h, for $489 Canadian will hold it's own against either quite well.

For those that read my other drool. I am going to buy one of these saws for each of my 2 neighbor buddies, before they are gone, and re badged to makita, and price hiked. I have wondered a bunch of times how I can pay them back somehow, for all the help they have given us. This is it, they both cut a lot. The price of a saw won't come close but I think they will like it, after they give me s--t of course.
i got a 2nd dolmar 5105 from a dealer here in bc canada for 450$ cdn w heated handle, last one he had it was sold but the guy used it 1 afternoon, and brought it back saying he did not need that much saw, he bought a stihl ms 250 i guess, i love th e 5105 lots of jam lots, not to heavy, i runs a 20 in bar with chisel chain, makita es5000 [which are now the 5105 dolmars just a new color are alot more money for the same saw. i had a husky 550 xp but it blew up, after maybe 20 cords of wood cut, good luck

I guess I'm in the few. The AV is smooth enough and these saws are strong enough to take advantage of less cutters to sharpen and the longer intervals between sharpenings.
My nerves and muscle spasms lean toard the .325" pitch chain. I once changed out a 290 FarmBoss with an 18" B/C from .325" to 3/8" pitch chain. The cut went from smooth to rough with no cutting speed gain. That did it for me. I may try it again some day and use semi-chisel rather than full chisel.

Back