Best 50cc Husky over the years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bg357

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
As I watch Craigslist for smoking deals on a handy little saw, I'm curious about which ones were great and which ones to avoid. I don't know what all the models were or when they were built but I've seen a number of recurring choices. Im assuming they were produced in this order, 51, 154SE(don't see that one much), 350, and of course a lot of 455's.

Given those choices, which one is the best value? Is there a good one I've missed. Problem choices? Are there notable differences among the various years of 455's?

At the risk of starting a brand battle, is there a comparable Echo model worth considering? I like Echo power equipment and would consider them if they had a good option.

I appreciate the experience you have to share.

I like my 51 alot. Nothing fancy, just cuts wood real good.
The 55 was the same except slightly more cc's.
I got a .325 -8 pin rim with 16" & 20" bars.
View attachment 257775View attachment 257776
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll likely never stop looking for more saws in the 50 and 70cc range. And larger.
But I'll never get rid of my 55. Picked it up new many years ago.
I cut enough wood with it to heat my house for several years.

There wasn't really any great Husky 50cc saws before the 346xp (1999). The 154se, 254, 254xp was a bit large for that class, and the 50cc ones were "farmer" class saws at best.
The great Swedish 50cc saws before that were Partners and Jonsereds. :msp_wink:

Last edited:
I will chime in on this one. My Husqvarna 51 is a saw with a bad attitude.This saw is a screaming little demon.Near perfect balance with a 16BC combination.It thinks that it is a larger so I keep the reigns pulled in on occasions.I have named it "Tazz" Great saw for it's size. Ken

Last edited:
The only great Husky 50cc saws are the 346xp and the 550xp, but a 51 or 55 with a P5000+ top end would have been an easy way to make one.

They never did that at the factory though....:pumpkin2:

My 1984 Husqvarna rancher whitetop is still running, although getting weak. Could not ask for a more dependable saw. Light, well balanced, dependable. What more can you ask. Having said that, I cannot get parts to rebuild it, so I have a 51 in good shape, and have two 55s that I will be rebuilding this winter, in prep for when the rancher will no longer run. If I were buying new, I would go with a 346xp or a 357xp. I have run a 455, and it seemed underpowered for the weight. Having said that, I can build about 4 51s or 55s for the price of a new saw, and have metal cases that can be rebuilt over and over. Not sure about rebuilding the plastic case models.

As I watch Craigslist for smoking deals on a handy little saw, I'm curious about which ones were great and which ones to avoid. I don't know what all the models were or when they were built but I've seen a number of recurring choices. Im assuming they were produced in this order, 51, 154SE(don't see that one much), 350, and of course a lot of 455's.

Given those choices, which one is the best value? Is there a good one I've missed. Problem choices? Are there notable differences among the various years of 455's?

At the risk of starting a brand battle, is there a comparable Echo model worth considering? I like Echo power equipment and would consider them if they had a good option.

I appreciate the experience you have to share.

I really like my 350. Light, easy to start, cuts great. You can find them in excellent shape for about $200.

I really like my 350. Light, easy to start, cuts great. You can find them in excellent shape for about $200.

The 350 easily is the best "consumer class" saw ever made - but it still is a "consumer class" saw, with a plastic case. ;)

Actually, you can put a 346xp top end on it, with just minor mods to the case (to make room for the transfer bulges on that cylinder).

Last edited:
Back