Best 70 cc milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
My 7900 did fine freehand milling some 24" sugar maple with a 28" bar...I suspect it would have done even better with a mill attachment and something smooth to guide along.

I used mine last week that way on a 40" walnut, I had a 32" bar burried in it for about 10', the only time I stopped was to refuel, I don't want to do that to much I was getting a little nervous for running it that hard for that long, but it still blows 180 psi.

steve--

steve--

ArboristSite Lurker
Chainsaws in general are terrible for milling, and are very inefficient. A buddy of mine periodically uses his husky 3120xp for milling lumber, and even as big as it is (one of the most powerful saws made) the milling process puts a huge load on it, and it doesn't perform very well at all when compared to a band/circular saw mill.

If a person is serious about milling lumber, they should build, or buy a band or blade mill, and stay away from chains.

Last edited:
betterbuilt

betterbuilt

I build stuff from milled slabs
Chainsaws in general are terrible for milling, and are very inefficient. A buddy of mine periodically uses his husky 3120xp for milling lumber, and even as big as it is it is the milling process puts a huge load on it, and it doesn't perform very well at all when compared to a band/circular saw mill.

If a person is serious about milling lumber, they should build, or buy a band or blade mill, and stay away from chains.

True, But there aren't many Bandmills that can cut a slab bigger than 25inches. The chainsaw mill fills this void just fine.

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
I guess it depends what you are milling, but I woud have thought that 70cc and milling were mutually exclusive terms. 7900 is a strong saw I just rebuilt one myself, but they are a single ring piston design and milling is one of the hardest things on a chainsaw. If you could find a later model poulan 245 (Ithink the later ones had an auto oiler as well as the manual plunger), that might not be a bad idea. An 041 super (72cc's) might not be a bad Idea either. They are a pretty torquey (always a plus for milling) saw. An echo 8000.......oh wait that's just an 80cc saw that CUTS like a 70cc saw.

I agree. I've heard 80cc suggested as a minimum. I use an 076 now. I have an old Mac 380 to fix up (87cc), and that would be as small as I'd like to go for milling, but it is mostly hardwood around here.

Whoops...just realized how old this thread was.

Last edited:
steve--

steve--

ArboristSite Lurker
True, But there aren't many Bandmills that can cut a slab bigger than 25inches. The chainsaw mill fills this void just fine.
Yeah, it gets the job done, it's just not the most efficient way to do it.

If a person is determined to use a chainsaw as a mill, their best bet is to get a custom made bar with a narrow kerf chain to reduce the load on the saw. A narrow bar and chain would work well for a mill application since both ends of the bar are secured.

steve--

steve--

ArboristSite Lurker
I agree. I've heard 80cc suggested as a minimum. I use an 076 now. I have an old Mac 380 to fix up (87cc), and that would be as small as I'd like to go for milling, but it is mostly hardwood around here.

Whoops...just realized how old this thread was.
Yeah, but the age of the thread isn't important as long as the subject matter is still relevant. ;)

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some of the guys in the milling section Have been testing the lo pro. They report stretching and breaking are problems over certain lengths.

I use Stihl .050 Picco on 20 inch and shorter bars.
I have had zero problems milling with this chain.
But have heard 24 inch bar is the max length for the .050 Picco chain.

As far as 70cc milling saw, I would go with an older long stroke saw.

TT

betterbuilt

betterbuilt

I build stuff from milled slabs
I use Stihl .050 Picco on 20 inch and shorter bars.
I have had zero problems milling with this chain.
But have heard 24 inch bar is the max length for the .050 Picco chain.

As far as 70cc milling saw, I would go with an older long stroke saw.

TT

Yeah It's pretty small. most of the logs I do are 32inches+. I'm trying to run 325 .063 on a 42 inch bar. I've heard I'm fine if I stay smaller then 45inches. I found a 41 inch stihl bar but can't find a tip in 325. I just bought a 42 with a Oregon style tip and plan on using it. The stihl bar is just a lot wider and would probably last longer.

Latest posts