Best all around saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoPete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice older chainsaw to cut down 5 approximately seventy foot tall trees (Oak and Cherry) into firewood and to maintain the other 8 trees on my property. I'm thinking an older 026 Stihl or an older XP from Hasqavarna. Not sure which to get. Just want a kick ass saw that's not too heavy and not loaded up with all the new safety bs that they come with now but not too old that it's a tank. Plus one that will last another 25 years without issues being used off and on. Once I cut up these five trees I will only use it to trim limbs from a ladder. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if this matters but I'm planning to use some of the wood I cut down on a lathe for some wood projects.

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

• 20180416_160300.jpg
    20180416_160300.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 65
Sounds to me like you need a 2 saw plan.A Husky 266XP would be a Great choice, I will never part with mine, I bought it new in 91' and it is still an impressive saw.

With Husky, the 262XP, 266XP, 268XP and 272XP would all be Excellent choices.

For limbing from a ladder, a nice little Top Handle saw is MUCH better suited to that use, A top handle is designed and balanced to be able to use the saw one handed, and allow the other hand to steady yorself on a ladder, or direct cut limbs to fall where you want them.

A standard rear handle saw is not a great choice for ladder work, but I don't know of any Top Handle models that are up to the task of the trees in your pic. If you really don't want a 2 saw plan, maybe buy the 262-272XP or equivalent, do your heavy work, then sell it and get a top handle for Ladder and limbing work.

Doug :cheers:

I think the fact that you want to use it from a ladder (which is not the best idea, FWIW) limits you to 50cc or less.

That in mind, Stihl 026, Husqvarna 55/350/346.

Honestly I would rent one, saw up your trees, and buy a pole saw.

I'm looking for a nice older chainsaw to cut down 5 approximately seventy foot tall trees (Oak and Cherry) into firewood and to maintain the other 8 trees on my property. I'm thinking an older 026 Stihl or an older XP from Hasqavarna. Not sure which to get. Just want a kick ass saw that's not too heavy and not loaded up with all the new safety bs that they come with now but not too old that it's a tank. Plus one that will last another 25 years without issues being used off and on. Once I cut up these five trees I will only use it to trim limbs from a ladder. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if this matters but I'm planning to use some of the wood I cut down on a lathe for some wood projects.

Thanks

Pete
If you are working aloft you need a top handle saw like Stihl MS 200T it is a lot safer up there due to the balance. As fars as a ground saw a Stihl 044 would be great. Thats prob all you need.

One saw, used, a husky 266xp/se will serve you well.

Love my 266XP, but I sure was glad to add the Top Handle 23 Compact for light work.

ANY Rear Handle is just an accident waiting to happen on a Ladder, if the OP Must use a ladder, a Top Handle is the way to go, but as already mentioned, a POLE saw is an even better choice.

Buy a new saw, don't store it with fuel rotting in it.

Also make sure you use the Ethanol Free gas, it's a bit more $$$ but in the end the headaches it will save you will be worth it.
After you cut down and cut up the trees that you are removing, you may want to buy the premixed fuel in the cans, again it is more $$$, but when you are only doing occasional limbing it wont add up to much $$, and will be much more convenient to store, and will have a lot longer shelf life, and wont cause the issues regular pump gas will a it ages. If a saw is going to sit several months or more between uses, it is a good idea to drain the fuel out of it, and run the carb dry.

OH, also forgot to add, I'm not sure what:

"and not loaded up with all the new safety bs that they come with now"

Is but a Chain Brake is well worth having, Especially if you're going to be working from a ladder.

Don't forget PPE(Personal Protective Equipment), at the minimum use a Good Helmet with a mesh visor, and Ear Muffs, usually can be found for around $50, Money WELL Spent, Good Gloves, Chaps and Steel Toed boots are also good ideas too.

OP are you serious about this ladder business? I cant even imagine. Forget stupid ladders! I cant believe the question about the chain brake either! :eek:

I mentioned the Chain Brake, because I wasn't sure what the OP meant by:

"and not loaded up with all the new safety bs that they come with now"

A Chain Brake was the only thing that came to my mind, that would fit that statement, and to ME, a Chain Brake is "Safety BS" WELL Worth having, even more so if one expects to be working from a ladder, in all fairness, I don't know if a chain brake is the Safety BS, he was referring to or not, it was all that I could think of.

Honestly a Chainsaw is one of the most Dangerous tools that the average person is ever likely to use, and MIS-USE, and it is simply Amazing that the government HASN'T come up with more Rules, Regulations and Requirements, to protect the Stupid from themselves. The thing is, the most Dangerous thing about a Chainsaw is an Inexperienced, Uneducated, or Careless OPERATOR:(.

Back