best bar length for a ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schneider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm gonna be purchasing a ms461. Not sure what lenght bar to go with. This saw will be for falling and bucking larger( 24" and larger) trees for firewood. I have a ms200 with a 16" bar for limbing and a ms261 with a 18" bar. I will be cutting mostly oaks,hickory,ash,gum,maple. I would like to hear from guys that are using the 461. Thank you for your advise.

I run a 20 & 25 on mine. When I get a longer bar, I think I'm going to skip the 28 and go 32.

I have a 20'', 24'', and 28'' for mine depending on what I'm cutting. It wears a 24'' most of the time now since I run a 20'' on my MS360.

My ms460(ported) runs a 24" bar for pretty much all my felling/bucking work. I would like to get a 28-32" but I would likely then use a larger saw even though the 460 would handle it. Sounds like a 28" is the right size for the trees your cutting.

FYI a ported 460 with an 8 sprocket and 20" bar is AWESOME.

Curiosity question..did you modify that total bar or are they made in stihl mounts..i never checked into it

They are made in Stihl mounts. I got this one from site sponsor Randy Watson (watsonr) when he did the Total bar group buy. He is a great guy to deal with BTW.

Well to answer your question, I feel that a 25" bar is the best balanced on a 460 or a 461. Sure they have plenty of power to run a 28" or 32", but if you have a bigger saw like a 660 I do not see the need to.

I run 3/8" chain on all of my saws. My 261 runs a 16" bar, 361 wears a 20" bar, the 440 a 20" or 25" bar (has a 25" right now), the 460 wears a 25" bar and the 650 mag wears either a 28" or a 36" bar.

My boss who owns a tree removal company runs 25" bars on his 2 460's and a 461.

-Charles

+1 on Brad's comment.

I believe I have eight 046/460's with several different bars/rims, but my go-to 046 has a 28" Light bar on it.

If I need something longer, I use an 066/660.

Tony

Last edited:
I have an MS460, and found with the stock bar oil pump I didn't get enough oil with the 28" bar to not end up with chain stretch.

I upgraded it to the H.O. Oil pump assembly (part# 1128 640 3250), and now can adjust it to get enough bar oil without being anywhere near wide open.

Not trying to stir the pot or start a long bar short bar fight as I don't have a 461 and I am not a pro, but I believe there is another question or two to ask yourself - what bar length do you need for your cutting conditions and your style of cutting? As I said, I'm no pro but for falling I believe generally a bar length as long or longer than the diameter of your cut is safer (and quicker) than using a short bar (less time behind a partially cut tree, easier to line up cuts and create/protect a good hinge, and can give you just a little more distance from the tree if needed). As to bucking a stable log, a short bar is probably quicker and safer (less likely to stick your chain into something else). Unstable logs, I would say a long bar is generally safer for the operator (added distance from the hazard and possible slower kickback). Note my emphasis on your cutting conditions and style; there are many things that just come down to you, your cutting conditions and your preferences - bar length is one of those things. After you decide on the bar length then how much saw do you needed, and in your case is a 461 enough? Sounds to me like it is. :msp_smile: Ron

Not trying to stir the pot or start a long bar short bar fight as I don't have a 461 and I am not a pro, but I believe there is another question or two to ask yourself - what bar length do you need for your cutting conditions and your style of cutting? As I said, I'm no pro but for falling I believe generally a bar length as long or longer than the diameter of your cut is safer (and quicker) than using a short bar (less time behind a partially cut tree, easier to line up cuts and create/protect a good hinge, and can give you just a little more distance from the tree if needed). As to bucking a stable log, a short bar is probably quicker and safer (less likely to stick your chain into something else). Unstable logs, I would say a long bar is generally safer for the operator (added distance from the hazard and possible slower kickback). Note my emphasis on your cutting conditions and style; there are many things that just come down to you, your cutting conditions and your preferences - bar length is one of those things. After you decide on the bar length then how much saw do you needed, and in your case is a 461 enough? Sounds to me like it is. :msp_smile: Ron

I think you make a good point. Before I asked the question I was considering a 28" bar. Taking into account the size trees I would most likely fall. Just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts.

This raised another question: At what bar length would I need to consider running a skip tooth chain. I have two red oaks that are standing dead that are in the 36" - 40 " range.

I run semi skip up to 36". The 461 should be fine with semi skip or full skip on a 32". It would probably pull full comp just fine too.

Don't know what part of NC you're located. Here in NE Tennessee, a 28" to 32" bar makes a good firewood cutter's length if your cutting nice size trees or bucking up small stuff laying on the ground. And it sounds that these lengths are good for the 461.

Be careful cutting those standing deads; don't let them stand too long. Though I generally advocate long bars for felling, don't out bar your saw especially on a hard dead tree. Can't help with the chain question, but there are many here who can. I understand that Mdavlee sharpens a mean chain. Ron

Back