best bar length for a ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 28" light weight bar keeps you from bending as much when bucking firewood. The preference on chain is going to be how much do you like to file or sharpen really.

Full comp is one tie strap between teeth. Skip has 2 and semi skip has one and then 2.

attachment.php

View attachment 311867

Ron

I'm gonna be purchasing a ms461. Not sure what lenght bar to go with. This saw will be for falling and bucking larger( 24" and larger) trees for firewood. I have a ms200 with a 16" bar for limbing and a ms261 with a 18" bar. I will be cutting mostly oaks,hickory,ash,gum,maple. I would like to hear from guys that are using the 461. Thank you for your advise.

this is a question only you can answer

There are reasons Stihl recommends a 25" bar for the MS461; start with 25" ES bar with a 3/8" pitch RM chain and see how that works for you. Should balance well and make short work of those 40" red oak snags with a sharp chain and proper technique.

I haven't noticed much difference in cutting performance running either regular or full skip Stihl RSC chain on a 32" bar on my 046. We have mostly softwoods around here, and the saw runs a 32" bar with authority.

Not trying to stir the pot or start a long bar short bar fight as I don't have a 461 and I am not a pro, but I believe there is another question or two to ask yourself - what bar length do you need for your cutting conditions and your style of cutting? As I said, I'm no pro but for falling I believe generally a bar length as long or longer than the diameter of your cut is safer (and quicker) than using a short bar (less time behind a partially cut tree, easier to line up cuts and create/protect a good hinge, and can give you just a little more distance from the tree if needed). As to bucking a stable log, a short bar is probably quicker and safer (less likely to stick your chain into something else). Unstable logs, I would say a long bar is generally safer for the operator (added distance from the hazard and possible slower kickback). Note my emphasis on your cutting conditions and style; there are many things that just come down to you, your cutting conditions and your preferences - bar length is one of those things. After you decide on the bar length then how much saw do you needed, and in your case is a 461 enough? Sounds to me like it is. :msp_smile: Ron

I agree this has definitely been my experience, but inevitably there is the rare occasion when you need to fell a large diameter tree with a smaller bar for the reason of say being too far from the road to grab a saw with a longer bar. and there is a proper technique for this Jeff Jepsom got it right in his book called to fell a tree otherwise sir you are correct. I am grateful you guys actually care and are going to great lengths to build great saws. Many of the the things I read about You guys doing are highly advanced and I consider more advanced than current engineering, yet ironically much of this goes back to Mr. Bell and Mr. Jennings so long ago. I am a former logger and current tree service owner and professional climber. Quite frankly the stuff You guys post, much of it goes right over my head even though I am currently receiving formal training as a small engine mechanic. I am currently repairing and attempting to repair and port 2 200t,s repair 1 201t ,then woods port my 880,
my saws are. 395 xp, ms 362 x2, 201 t x2, 200t x2, 390 xp, Husqvarna 051, 335 xpt, another 335 xpt for parts, and ms 880 magnum. sorry for ranting and getting off topic a few beers were involved. bottom line the respect is there and I am grateful. thank you. Ps I hate typing because its a big part of my job is doing written quotes for residential and government clients .I am sick of typing but I love to operate a chainsaw, that revving spooling sound that calls my name.

I agree this has definitely been my experience, but inevitably there is the rare occasion when you need to fell a large diameter tree with a smaller bar for the reason of say being too far from the road to grab a saw with a longer bar. and there is a proper technique for this Jeff Jepsom got it right in his book called to fell a tree otherwise sir you are correct. ... I am sick of typing but I love to operate a chainsaw, that revving spooling sound that calls my name.

You mean a tree like this:

IMG_2951.JPG

I hate typing as well and love running a saw.

Ron

Back