Best bucking saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucydog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This question may have been beaten to death a hundred times before, but here's my version......
My current saw is a 357xp(great saw,but geared towards pulpwood operations methinks) and I've been on AS long enough to need something bigger for firewood(and fun).What I'm after is a saw that I can really lean on while bucking up my hardwoods (maple and birch mostly).I'm trying to decide between an MS460,a 385XP,and a PS7900.Dealer support is great here for Stihl and Husky while the nearest Dolmar pusher is 4 hrs. away....I'm soon gonna pull the trigger on one of them.....What would you guys do?

Dolmar or Stihl. The 460 is a nice saw, is reliable, makes good power, and makes decent gains when ported. I own one now.

The 7900 is a screamer and will run away from the 460 - but sounds like parts may be an issue?!

The 385 - I owned one - the build quality isn't there - they don't hold up. They make good power, especially when modded, but are a bulky saw.

Lots has been written on these 3 - actually, threads asking the same question as you. SEARCH for them.

Ran a 460 for a while....

... Went to a 75cc 372xpw and like it better.

Going to try driving a 394xp with a 24" bar and an 8pin sprocket. Might want a 7900 some day...

Ran a 460 for a while....

... Went to a 75cc 372xpw and like it better.

Going to try driving a 394xp with a 24" bar and an 8pin sprocket. Might want a 7900 some day...

For two weeks I bucked every day on a hoe chuck show. Two saws, a 372 and a 460, six of one, half dozen of the other. Both great saws. had never ran a 460 before, had run many 372s.

You guys that have time on the 460 and 7900; which has the better ergonomics and anti-vibe?:confused:

you want paper specs or real world? paper says one thing, and real world says another

The antivibe on the 7900 is great. can't feel a thing. the 460 feels like a rattlebox compared to it. (now, relax the 460 isn't bad in the a/v, but compared to the 7900 it feels much worse). Kinda of like driving a caddy and then jumping in the 1 ton to go to church....lol

Ergonomics? lol, it is a nice little limbing saw....lol. I like the feel of the 7900 better. The 7900 will outcut the 460, 385, 372, 441, etc when stock up to 24" or so wood. Never ran a bigger bar on mine to compare, but would think it would still hold its own.

460 is a tried and proven design. Everyone knows it will last the test of time if taken care of. Will the 7900 be the same? who knows. They are still relativey small company and don't have the name out there that the other two do and less of them in commercial hands. Doesn't matter much if us weekend warriors don't beat them up, if day to day guys are.

With that said, I love my 7900 and pick it first, but wouldn't throw a 460 out of bed either.

460 with a 20 or 24" bar. Heres mine, I put a 28" b/c on the other day to cut a stump. :)
46.jpg

my choice would be between..........

This question may have been beaten to death a hundred times before, but here's my version......
My current saw is a 357xp(great saw,but geared towards pulpwood operations methinks) and I've been on AS long enough to need something bigger for firewood(and fun).What I'm after is a saw that I can really lean on while bucking up my hardwoods (maple and birch mostly).I'm trying to decide between an MS460,a 385XP,and a PS7900.Dealer support is great here for Stihl and Husky while the nearest Dolmar pusher is 4 hrs. away....I'm soon gonna pull the trigger on one of them.....What would you guys do?

372xp,dolmar 7900,ms460.i left the 385 out due to price.i'd get the 7900 unless you got a deal on a good 385

Join the 7900 bandwagon, a 460 dual port is a nice saw too.

The hurskawhatsit 372's are perty nice too, I guess if you were out to mod it that would be the one to buy.

Stock a 7900 will cut wood plenty well enough to not reasonably need more power.

Reason is in short supply with chainsaw buying though hahah

Last edited:
Thought

Dude, think of it like this. Say something does happen to the saw. Can you be w/out it for a couple days or is it always something HAVE to have always and can't be w/out or else??? Just take this into consideration when deciding. All make great saws. I swear by my 7900 and haven't had a lick of problems in almost 2yrs... I also like the mid size husky and stihl's, more towards the Stihl, but the 372 is a great saw also. I've just never like the power band of the newer husky since Elux took them over... Good luck guy and let us know what you decide. You also HAVE to put up pics and a review or else we'll never talk to you again, lmfao... hehehehehehehe

:cheers: eh?

If you weren't 800 miles from me you could come here and run my 7900 for a day and see how you like it...

I love my 460, but there's no comparison. The 7900 is the smoothest saw I've ran. It also has a LOT more power than a stock 460 to boot. Easy pick if you're leaving it stock.

+1, I've owned both the 460 and the 7900. I still have the 7900. With all due respect to the fine Dolmar dealers here, all the ones I've talked to in person wouldn't be much help if you had saw problems. So buy one from one of the excellent Dolmar AS site sponsors here (I should have). They'll support you. Besides, your a firewood guy, not a production logger, right? If the 7900 is down, that 357XP will fill in nicely for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back