best chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did not mean to mis inform about the 72 verses 73 Saw Troll is correct the 73 is 058 gauge so look at your bar and see what you need. Also on baileys their 3/8 pitch chain is listed as .375. I still like the LG and LGX better but everybody is different. I also set my depth gauge a little deeper on my chains so they cut faster but keep in mind that the kickback will be worse the less raker you have. Also my LGX chain keeps its edge better than my LG series chain.

The LP and RSC are low vibe chains, the others I mentioned are not.

ST, never used RSC3 but it sure looks alot like Oregon LP with all that extra weight of those anti-kickback bumpers. So I would compare LP to RSC3, not RSC.;)
(from stihl lit below)
Super Comfort 3 (RSC3)
STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort 3 is the reduced vibration and reduced kickback tendency version of STIHL RAPID™ Super. RSC3 is an aggressive full chisel chain, but has a single-humped drive link to reduce kickback tendency and the new cutter and tie strap design of RSC to reduce vibration levels when cutting. RSC3 also features excellent cutting and plunge cutting efficiency. Look at the pic in the stihl lit above and you will see.
RSC has no bumper ramps added to weigh the chain down. JKING

Last edited:
I haven't used the latest Oregon chain, but I've run a fair amount of carlton, oregon and stihl.

I can tell you that for square ground which I usually run, I vastly prefer the Stihl. It defintely holds a square edge much better, and I think it is a better quality chain in general. Since I use a grinder I don't care that it is harder, and I can buy it as cheap as Oregon or Carlton, so the last several reels I've bought (and probably all future chain) will be Stihl.

If I had to buy Stihl chain by the loop and at standard Stihl dealer's prices then maybe I would rethink that, but I don't.

I read alot about reduced vibration in chains, but mostly I am confused by it. In my experience a sharp square RSLK (and depth gauges within spec and not too low) and the power to pull it make the smoothest cut in the hand. The tougher the wood, the more the importance of sharpness for smoothness-the goal is to cleanly sever wood fibers..

Last edited:
ST, never used RSC3 but it sure looks alot like Oregon LP with all that extra weight of those anti-kickback bumpers. So I would compare LP to RSC3, not RSC.;) ...

Both yes and no;

For general design, yes - for how they behave in the cut, most likely no.

The rakers on the RSC3 are the same large ramped ones as on the RSC, RS and LG, not the "slim" ones on the LP, and the ramps also are larger than on the LP.

Bottom line; They look pretty similar, but I don't believe they will behave the same way in the wood.

They don't offer the RSC3 here, so I have never actually tried it either (probably wouldn't have anyway :laugh: ).

Last edited:
i noticed today that my bar is a 58 gauge and i am running a 72 lp on it. i should have a 73 right? 73=58 right? would the 72 of hurt it any?

i noticed today that my bar is a 58 gauge and i am running a 72 lp on it. i should have a 73 right? 73=58 right? would the 72 of hurt it any?

Yes, definately!

......look forward to accellerated wear, and maybe some cuts that go left or right, in a "circle"...

Cut4fun, try the lp as opposed to the lg for bore cutting. Look closely at the front portion of the raker itself. The bullet nose of the lg especially when the chain gets worn down a ways reduces the raker clearance to near zero when it gets bent in the sharp radius of the nose of the bar. It even reduces cut times on bar burried cuts. reducing raker height by removing from the top of it does nothing to the front that comes into wood contact when the chain bends around the nose. The LG has a different profile on its raker without the forward projection. The ramp only acts as a raker when the chain is bent over the nose and limits the kickback you would get with the non bullet nosed raker if it were used without that ramp. I did not compare cut times exactly but didnt find it a handicap. I cut up trailer loads of skidded logs and it sure seems to save the chains if you can poke the nose it and cut out thru the mud instead of pulling it into the cut. The difference in bore cutting is the only reason I would choose it though. The Carlton A1 and Oregon LG can be made to bore well too by recontouring the front of the raker but you can imagine what it would do to kickback potential.

Sharp

I run 3/8 050 on most of my saws. I like Stihl and Carlton chain. It is harder, but seems to stay sharper longer than the oregon. I have not tried the LGX chain yet. Full chisel for normal cutting and semi chisel for the dirty stuff.

-Steve

That's what I've found right on the money. The only exception to this is the newer Blued chain from Oregon. I'm not sure what type it is, but this chain stacks up to everything else I've tried. I've used it with dirty wood, dry/wet conditions, poor oiling to lots, cutting frozen red oak and beech last winter and it definitely holds an edge and works VERY well... Not sure exactly what it is, but I'm sure someone will chime in here and say something... :rock: :cheers:

Difference

Yes, definately!

......look forward to accellerated wear, and maybe some cuts that go left or right, in a "circle"...

What's the difference between the 72 and 73??? I know the difference in guage... :confused:

Im pretty sure that (blued) chain you speak of is the LGX I have some and it holds one he** of an edge compared to the regular LG chain.

Stihl Chains and Bars Canada

Good Morning
In my attempts to get information on 16 inch .063 Gauge bars and chains here in Canada for my 034 I received the following info from Stihl Canada.

I have since ordered a new bar, chain and rim sprocket set from a Stihl dealer in Maine
Here is some info on Stihl USA bars all 16" .063 Gauge Laminated Made in Germany
3003-002-6813, marked wood boss
3003-002-7113 marked farm boss
3003-002-7013 marked e-matic
Whackerk
Heres the info from Stihl Canada
Thank you for contacting STIHL LIMITED. Please see info below:

.325, .050” (23RSC) Chain
Bars Chain

16” 3003 003 6713 23RSC67E

18” 3003 003 7117 23RSC74E

20” 3003 000 6621 (GER) 23RSC80E

Sprocket kit – 1125 007 1040 (.325, 7 tooth)

3/8, .050” (33RSC) Chain

Bars Chain

16” 3003 003 7813 33RSC60E

18” 3003 003 7817 33RSC66E

20” 3003 003 7821 33RSC72E

24” 3003 000 7831 (GER) 33RSC84E
Sprocket kit – 1125 007 1040 (3/8, 7 tooth)
All are available. Please visit your local STIHL LIMITED dealership for further details on ordering .063” gauge.

Back