best chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolution

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what would be a good chain for me to run my 359 with a 16 " bar cutting maple, beech, white and yellow birch
i plan on getting a modded muffler to for it

imo, 3/8LP would be awesome, but you'll get all types listed. sides, its a husky, so....maybe a pole saw blade for when it dont start?!!!
lol, joking
-Ralph

where can i buy these chains? i looked on baileys but couldnt find them

I'd prefere LP/LPX, bit then I would prefere Stihl RSC to those (but they all are very good).......:biggrinbounce2:

For dirty wood, it is Stihl RM/RMC, no need to mention others.

Stihl RS/RSC or Oregon LG

Check your sprocket or your bar if it came new with the saw. It should be 3/8" pitch. I run 3/8" pitch Stihl RSC on a 16" setup (Husky 359)and it really works well. I've also used Oregon's LG and it works well also but the Stihl stays sharp a little longer.

Timberhauler,
Do you think the new LGX holds it's edge as well as Stihl RS/RSC?

I run 3/8 050 on most of my saws. I like Stihl and Carlton chain. It is harder, but seems to stay sharper longer than the oregon. I have not tried the LGX chain yet. Full chisel for normal cutting and semi chisel for the dirty stuff.

-Steve

well i went and got a chain today, i got a oregon 72lp060e
they said that it should take a 73 not a 72 what does these number mean? i notice this chain that it has a anti kick thing on it before the raker, will this make it cut slower being that it isnt bitting as much?

Yes it will probably cut slower. I hate those anti kick chains I normally use oregon LG or LGX whichever I can get a hold of. If you have a 3/8 pitch then it should be 72LG or 72LGX and if you are using a 16 inch bar it will more than likely be 60 links of saw chain. Baileys carries this item. Here is the link for 050 gauge bar http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi...session_id=WzjHJeTZ&product_sku=OPL 16 72LG60

well i went and got a chain today, i got a oregon 72lp060e
they said that it should take a 73 not a 72 what does these number mean? i notice this chain that it has a anti kick thing on it before the raker, will this make it cut slower being that it isnt bitting as much?

72 means .050 gauge/1.3mm, 73 is.058/1.5mm and 75 is .063/1.6mm by Oregon in 3/8".

By Stihl, it is 33, 35 and 36, respectively.

The small ramps in front of the raker on the LP etc does not make the chain cut slower, unless chip clearance becomes a problem - but the differense is small, also then, because the raker itself is very small (slim) on those chains, compared to RS/RSC and LG/LGX.

For bore-cutting, the LP defonately will take the price, because of the slim raker.....

Stihl RSC3 and some "similar" Carlton chains will not work as well, as the ramps and rakers are larger than on the LP.

Yes it will probably cut slower. I hate those anti kick chains I normally use oregon LG or LGX whichever .....

As I said above, normally not!

The LG/LGX and RS/RSC is really reduced kick-back chain also, just a different design that use a wide ramped raker, instead of the slim raker and the small ramp.

The LP and RSC are low vibe chains, the others I mentioned are not.

I believe that about the only chain availiable today, that doesn't have some sort of kickback reducing feature, is the Stihl RSK.

Last edited:
Hey ST, for a guy always worried about weight like you are, it would seem with all that extra metal on the LP chain, sure would make it heavier then the LG chain.
I know I have one loop of LP, it cuts ok, but feels heavier when being changed out. ;) :biggrinbounce2:

I will not own another LP unless it is free.

Hey ST, for a guy always worried about weight like you are, it would seem with all that extra metal on the LP chain, sure would make it heavier then the LG chain.
I know I have one loop of LP, it cuts ok, but feels heavier when being changed out. ;) :biggrinbounce2:

I will not own another LP unless it is free.

:laugh: :laugh: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
i know they are good saws.was just trying to cause trouble.

I agree Stihl chain seems to hold an edge longer then husky/oregon
& Stihl saws aren't too bad either;)

a few guys have stated they liked the new oregon chain but it is gonna be a while til i see any.all the local dealers will have to sell out of the old stock before they order the new.

i like carlton better than oregon.

I am not him, but my answer is NO - the LGX also isn't a low-vibe chain, and doesn't cut as smoothly.....

If LGX is similar in cutter shape to LG, I beg to differ. It's smoother than RS and equal to RSC IMO. When I switched from LG to RS I noticed more vibration with RS but faster cutting. I use RSC on the 16" setup but it's smoother and less agressive-about the same as LG. Oregon has the advantage that a hand filer can use Husqvarna's brilliant roller guide. If a person doesn't have a Stihl dealer locally or the dealer only stocks Low kickback he can still get Oregon of any style over the net.

My original question was reguarding the stay sharp ability of the new LGX compared to the Stihl chains.

my stihl chain must be a RSK because it gots no ramps before the raker. is the rsk a good chain? i noticed that the corner of the tooth are chipping>?

Latest posts

Back