Best Chainsaw Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a hand filer, I get annoyed by China chains that have inconsistent rock hard cutters that ruin my files and end up costing more in files than a normal chain.

I don't like Stihl chains all that much for the same reason. Its debatable if they stay sharper longer, but are much harder on files especially new ones with the gullet so close you can barely get a file in. The old Husq/Oregon chain, used to hate how fast it got dull machine ground, but its a filer's dream. Too pad I paid clowns $5 a pop to ruin dozens of loops before I learned.

The C85 is awesome, and makes Oregon look like Chinese crap. Used to use Oregon almost exclusively, until the cutters started to seem like they were made from melted beer cans. I have not tried the new exl, so I'm referring only to 72 lgx. Their chain quality seemed to go to heck real fast.

Having seen the video, I would agree that what is being tested initially is the factory sharpening, not the quality of the chain. The before and after one tank comparison might speak more to chain quality, but still would be affected by sharpening geometry.

Here are the differences (absolute first, and as a proportion of the time required for the first cut second) from the video:

View attachment 925650

View attachment 925651
I actually have the Upstart size loop used here. I really don't care what is the best in this full size 3/8. Does the second bar graph mean I mount my loop and find a timed setting, he used 12 4x4 anything that gets a time in the 10 to 20 second range should work. Then go off using the chain estimate the bark to sap wood and heart wood as best as possible to match the video, come back and re do the timed sections the results to be compared to prior result times 1.32 for the Upstart.

Both the Oregon and the Husqvarna seem to be the same thing re branded, Chisel, bumper drive link. If that is believed then there is quite an error bar so to speak. Error could be product variation not to make it sound as a fault of the testing.

My son is using that hutzl 3/8” full chisel on his 910 Jared so far so good.

In the business I went through two 3/8 050 LP full chisel on the 266 a cutting season “if” I didn’t hit anything plus one 404 LP on the 2100 again if I didn’t till.
I did have a second 2101 as backup.

I actually have the Upstart size loop used here. I really don't care what is the best in this full size 3/8. Does the second bar graph mean I mount my loop and find a timed setting, he used 12 4x4 anything that gets a time in the 10 to 20 second range should work. Then go off using the chain estimate the bark to sap wood and heart wood as best as possible to match the video, come back and re do the timed sections the results to be compared to prior result times 1.32 for the Upstart.

The second graph was just an attempt to get at what might be a more important difference, which is how well they hold an edge (although the geometry of the factory sharpening would affect that as well to varying degrees).

Yes, that would do it...although matching the wood to run out a tank on would be pretty much impossible for making a direct comparison. If you want to replicate it, tossing in one or more of the other chain brands would control for the "dulling" wood.

Both the Oregon and the Husqvarna seem to be the same thing re branded, Chisel, bumper drive link. If that is believed then there is quite an error bar so to speak. Error could be product variation not to make it sound as a fault of the testing.

I didn't want to say it, because a lot of work went into that video, but with only a single cut for each chain, there is no way to know how much variation there is within a chain measurement, and therefore no way to tell whether the 10 second chain is actually any "faster" than the 14 second chain.

The new husky C chains are harder like stihl chain. Oregon EXL seems harder than LGX but I don’t think it’s quite as hard as the husky chain
I can confirm that the newer husky chain is pretty good stuff. I’ve got one one my saw that I’ve bucked over 6 cords of stove wood with and have only had to touch it up once, mainly because it hit a screw on the deck of my trailer. Almost no stretch.

I can confirm that the newer husky chain is pretty good stuff. I’ve got one one my saw that I’ve bucked over 6 cords of stove wood with and have only had to touch it up once, mainly because it hit a screw on the deck of my trailer. Almost no stretch.
Any idea where it's made? Website says made by Husqvarna.

Just got 2 20" loops of 3/8 my self. Will be tossing them on the 562xp for this weekend. Got a bunch of dead oak to clean up.

$26 per chain? I buy what ever is cheaper, on sale or clearance, from my wholesaler Oregon 3/8” LP chain was $8/60 dL. I bought some farmtech to try. Bought some archer chain too. I need some full skip 3/8”

$26 per chain? I buy what ever is cheaper, on sale or clearance, from my wholesaler Oregon 3/8” LP chain was $8/60 dL. I bought some farmtech to try. Bought some archer chain too. I need some full skip 3/8”
Im not super hard on chains, the last round of oregon chain I got I wasn't impressed with. Every second tank it would need gone over. One of the local dealers used to have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on stihl chain, which brought the price down a good bit, however I haven't seen that in some time. Figure if I can get a better chain that lats a good long time I may as well spend the money on it. Last time I was out I swapped on the last new chain on the 562xp, the old one is about spanked. Figured may as well try the new stuff out.

I’ve never actually used the Stihl chain before. Couple weeks ago someone gave me a bunch (bucket full) of Stihl 68 link .325” .063” chains. I modified a bar to fit my 346xp to use that chain on, but haven’t sharpened any of it to try yet.

Back