Best drying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Question that I am sure will throw up more than one answer, but here goes

Have cut, split and stacked most of next years wood, a mixture of Lime( not sure US Name) chestnut, a small amount of beech and ash.

Question is as my shed is full with this years wood, and next years has to stay outside untill the spring, should I cover it. A few points to note is that I live on the shore, so the wood will get the wind and rain driven at it. Another point to note is I am in Scotland incase that makes any diffrence, so it will be wet all winter!

What will be best covered or uncovered?

Thanks
Steve

IMO , covered, of course, and protected from the driven rain. Water promotes rot that robs your wood of BTUs. The less water it gets, and keeps, the more BTUs you have when it goes in the strove.

As you make space in the wood shed during the Winter consider filling the empty space with next years wood. So not all of it is exposed all winter to the elements. When you go after wood for the house take a few pieces to the shed to replace what you take out. It works out if you are the only one getting wood. If not, expect them to be bringing in the green wood you have been carrying in all winter.

You might be able to keep them from bringing in green wood by putting an old sheet over the green stack.

At the end of the season all your wood is in the shed.

KS that is kinda the plan, I do have a small shed, about 4m3 that I use first and that will be filled once empty in the next 2-3 weeks. the larger shed holds about 10 m3 that should last me the rest of the year.

Normally I would be gathering my wood all winter from the winter high tides and storms, but this year I happened across a nice score ( see Thread " Lime") and am well ahead. not that there is ever enough!! :)

I'd keep it off the ground, but I let mine (green) get the weather and let the snow hit it all winter. That's me.

LT...:chainsaw:

I wouldn't cover the wood if it will have enough time next year under cover to dry out. I leave my wood exposed to the elements. As long as the wood is not sitting in dirt it will be good outside for a long time. Who likes to wrestle with tarps? :chainsaw:

Brian

thanks for all the replies guys. just as I thought. some say cover some say not.

I did go out last night and covered the top and the first foot down. Guess this should give me the best of both. wind gets in and the rain( well most of it is shed off)

Latest posts

Back