Best electric polesaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy78064

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Most of my work is trimming larger branches 12 ft and below. I already own a generator. Its mounted on my truck that can get me pretty much within working distance of any tree I have had to get to so far. What is the best electric pole saw out there? I usually go up a ladder with my ms192 but it takes too much time.

I don't know if it's the best (probably not) but FWIW I have a Remington 10" model where the saw can detach from the pole and be used as a hand held as well. I've had it for probably 8 years or more, it works much better than the POS I had before it (which was a Woodzig or something like that). Only complaint is that it is a little heavy at full extension, and you have to dump the oil tank when you're done or it will all seep out. Might be okay if I stored it standing up, but usually I store it off the pole and sitting on a shelf. Overall though it's seen a lot of use and has plenty of power for what it is.

Most of the electric pole saws I have seen are pretty wimpy. If you do a fair amount of trimming I'm thinking A Stihl 101 or equivalent would be a much better option. Otherwise a manual pole saw set up may make sense too. One with a sharp blade cuts fairly quickly. (Jameson, Marvin, Silky, etc)

Electric? :msp_confused: - are you serious? :msp_confused:

I just started my company and am not comforatable with throwing $650 at a HT131 yet. When I find out if this is going to pan out then I will. But for right now I already own a generator so $100-$200 is a risk im more willing to take.

We sell quite a few of the $99 Remingtons each year, no complaints. 10" bar. But as above poster said, not much power.

Another economical option is Poulan makes a Kombi like system where you get a motor, trimmer, pole saw, and extension for around $200. Google Poulan Pro PP338PT.

Tight budget, understand that. Give some more info as to what you are trying to accomplish. ie, what and where are you trimming? Diameters, volume, how often?

Then better recommendations can be made.

One advantage of manual saws/pruners is that you don't have to feed them if not using them. ie, they don't deteriorate like a saw will. It is also something that can be kept for a lifetime and used as necessary even if it is only once a year or two. So think about that.

If you have the ability to generate revenue, then you really want to invest in something that will allow you to generate more income. So speed is important. a $500 tool can pay for itself in a couple days if you have the work for it.

I purchased a Marvin pole pruner/saw combo AFTER I already had the Stihl 101. They are two different tools and each have their place. The segmented poles work well to set pull lines and can reach farther up than the Stihl. A manual pole saw can do everything the Stihl can but not vs vs. I wouldn't want to have just one though and use them both.

Our tree service is very small so I can't invest in too many specialized tools but most of the tree service stuff also does duty for property maintenance in general.

Six inches and smaller normally. I just started and everything is reference work so far. I usually only have 2-4 jobs per week for right now. But even if they dont call to have a branch removed I always get the "oh by the way while you are here" branches.

Based on your info, I would recommend the manual pole pruner/saw combo. It'll be more bucks than a cheapo electric one but will be much more effective. One thing a lot of customers want done (especially after you explain the need) is to have branches cleared from their roof area that can brush their shingles. a Pole saw with two sections on it would be ideal for that. (work from the roof)

I got 3 six foot sections and one 4 foot section. That allows you to have a pole 4', 6' 10', 12' 16' 18' 22'. That should pretty much accomplish anything you need. (since the poles interlock, you actually lose a bit of that length)

I am not sure but I think I got that kit from "tree stuff" who is a sponsor of the site.

I got the Remington this past Spring and it works good enough. But my usage will be from time to time.

It does get oily like IFishsum said.

At worst it can be a back up if all goes well and you buy the Stihl down the road. You can also use it for limbing in those 'have to be quiet' zones, or after hours.

I almost bought the Stihl but I needed a weedeater and a blower and something had to give, so I went inexpensive on the least used.

I use an inverter with my tractor battery, which is more mobile than my generator.

Overall a good purchase for me.

Silky makes some awesome pole saws. Seriously, they will kick the snot out of the electrics or most of the gas saws, honestly. I would recommend the Zubat 13' unless you really need the reach (and 2x the weight) of the longer Hayauchi models.

I guess the generator would be an issue in those stealth moments. Inverter off the truck battery or cig lighter/outlet, then.

I guess the generator would be an issue in those stealth moments. Inverter off the truck battery or cig lighter/outlet, then.

An inverter plugged into a lighter socket works fine for a computer or cell phone but will not even come close to putting out enough amps to run an electric saw motor. These units have a high amperage consumption and if you try one of those little inverters, the magic smoke is going to escape.

An inverter off a large 12v battery will work but it is going to need to be a large inverter and be hooked directly to the battery. A manual saw will out perform one of these electric ones. (oh, by the way, I do have an electric pole saw and it hasn't been out of my shop in the last few years, they just aren't very capable...)

Unpacking and using a Silky compared to a gas or electric saw is so much faster. For a few branches you'll be finished before your generator is running. So time is money and don't let yourself be fooled by some flashy equipment.

I just started my company and am not comforatable with throwing $650 at a HT131 yet. When I find out if this is going to pan out then I will. But for right now I already own a generator so $100-$200 is a risk im more willing to take.

So spend another $50 to $100 and find a good used Stihl or Echo gas powered pruner. Unless what you're cutting is only two inches, you'll be much happier in the end.

Last edited:
If your going use an electric pole saw, at least file down the bumpers and make sure the chain is very sharp. I know a member who did this recently and it worked fine within it's limits on smaller branches. Oh and it was a Remington. I myself would prefer a Silky, Marvin, or Corona manual polesaw. But we use what we have available and can afford.

+1 on pretty much what others have said.

I bought a $100 Remington during Katrina clean up to keep my guys off of ladders, etc. Used with a generator, like you said.

Quickly realized that it would not hold up to heavy or commercial use. Have kept it and use it around the home. If you keep the chain sharp and let the saw do the work, it will hold up for home use, but very lightly built.

If you are going to use one for commercial use I echo the comments on starting with a pro quality manual pole saw and upgrading to a commercial quality gas pole saw when you can justify it. You will find use for both.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back