Best flush to remove bio-bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a quick reminder for you all.

I've been using cold pressed food grade rapeseed oil for probably 20 years now. Never had any issues.
Three months ago i started to use our filtered discarded rapeseed oil that was used in the fryer. Last week my Husqvarna 540 and Dolmar 7900 stopped oiling almost completely. Cleaned all saws this weekend and stopped cheapskating. Back to the pure and clean canola/rapeseed oil.

2e326e804fcfe1b1c45ed8da1e542ab9.jpg

Wolter

Well this has pretty much sold me on Bio crap. Sounds like it destroys just as well as ethanol.

The BIGGEST MISTAKE you can do with canola oil, is mix it with mineral oil. Gumming is guarenteed! Run at least 1 tank full of the oil after switching to minimize the chances of gumming.

I had not read that before, now I will be more careful. I normally use 100% fresh canola oil but I have mixed then before and not noticed any problems. Then again I'm not sure I've let them sit that way for long.

Well this has pretty much sold me on Bio crap. Sounds like it destroys just as well as ethanol.
Well here pure canola costs about a third compared to mineral bar oil. So if you cut regularly pure canola is the way to go in my eyes! Just refill your oil tank always to the brim and the chance of ever having a problem is minimal. If one is honest, how often does your wife complain about gumming in the kitchen? Probably never. Same situation in a saw.

If you are a "occaisional" firewooder, I would consider mineral bar oil or flushing your system with mineral bar oil for at least one tank full to eliminate any problems.

I only use canola in worksaws that are used often and keep the tank filled after work. My vintage saws that only get run once in a while get petroleum base regular bar oil. Canola is great in a worksaw, anything that will not be used often its not worth the risk. If switching to canola you MUST flush the oil tank and get rid of the petrolium stuff first. I prefer canola for many reasons as bar oil but you just need to know its pitfalls to avoid trouble and use it successfully.

Well here pure canola costs about a third compared to mineral bar oil. So if you cut regularly pure canola is the way to go in my eyes! Just refill your oil tank always to the brim and the chance of ever having a problem is minimal. If one is honest, how often does your wife complain about gumming in the kitchen? Probably never. Same situation in a saw.

If you are a "occaisional" firewooder, I would consider mineral bar oil or flushing your system with mineral bar oil for at least one tank full to eliminate any problems.

What do you pay for canola oil?

Here cheap bar oil is $5/gallon and premium "Essence" brand is $7.25 in bulk. I don't use a lot, around 10 gallons a year.
This is thin in warm weather, but not bad in cold.
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...30150416-c-10109.htm?tid=-6183196502181370237

Over here generic canola oil is about 1,5€ per litre, bio bar lube and mineral bar lube run about 4€ per litre.

Over here generic canola oil is about 1,5€ per litre, bio bar lube and mineral bar lube run about 4€ per litre.

Sorry, that doesn't mean much to us here in the states other than the obvious price difference. IMHO, anything that causes problems isn't worth the cost generally.

The amount of pros here using canaola and not having any problems at all is for me more significant.

The amount of pros here using canaola and not having any problems at all is for me more significant.

Well some of my friends are loggers, one crew goes through 5 gallons of mixed gas a day in 3 Stihl 660/661's. I have NEVER heard of them even consider bio bar oil.

Well some of my friends are loggers, one crew goes through 5 gallons of mixed gas a day in 3 Stihl 660/661's. I have NEVER heard of them even consider bio bar oil.
Here you have NO chance of even entering the forest with mineral oil in your saw as a pro logger! Environmental aspects are VERY strict here! Even most privately owned forrests require bio lube from the beginning.
I have heard of mixed reports that pure canola is not recomended above 22-25 inch bars, but cannot comment from own experience. My 20 inch runs well with it. And I could still easily cut down 50 inch trees with it.

Here you have NO chance of even entering the forest with mineral oil in your saw as a pro logger! Environmental aspects are VERY strict here! Even most privately owned forrests require bio lube from the beginning.
I have heard of mixed reports that pure canola is not recomended above 22-25 inch bars, but cannot comment from own experience. My 20 inch runs well with it. And I could still easily cut down 50 inch trees with it.

Well hopefully it will be a few more years before this country becomes totally over run with environmental Nazis. It is just sad how much Govt. intervention is destroying commerce and everyone wonders why there are no jobs.

Well hopefully it will be a few more years before this country becomes totally over run with environmental Nazis. It is just sad how much Govt. intervention is destroying commerce and everyone wonders why there are no jobs.
Well obviously you like having mineral oil in your drinking water. And that the mineral oil industry is not making money on chain lube sure doesn't hurt me much. I am happier for the farmers that are at least making some money with the rap seed/canola they are planting!

Well obviously you like having mineral oil in your drinking water. And that the mineral oil industry is not making money on chain lube sure doesn't hurt me much. I am happier for the farmers that are at least making some money with the rap seed/canola they are planting!

There is talking of making all the commercial crews in Ontario use Bio Oil because of the environmental impact the conventional bar oil has. I advertise that I use a Bio oil and that gains me extra business. This topic has been brought up many times and it seems that some people do not like to be told what is good for them. :D

The petroleum stuff leaves multi color swirls on the top of pond water when you do tree removals above. It looks good but I am not sure the fish like it. Sometimes I will use a few litres of bar oil in peoples backyards or above their house roof that they collect water for drinking and growing gardens. I am sure customers prefer a plant derived product than the taste of petroleum but who knows maybe veggies and plants grow faster with a bit of good ol crude mixed into the water. If I honestly used regular bar oil with the milling I do in my backyard, it would be a toxic waste dump!lol Use what you want but at least use what's between your ears to make a good decision. Here we don't have to use bio oil, I choose to. I could replace most of my work saws new with what I save doing so & that's just one reason.

So bar oil is so toxic? Hmm... Guess that means you can't grow grass.

Last Winter I cut up 2 loads in this spot in my lawn, and picked up 2 CUBIC YARDS of sawdust afterwards. This is one load and that is a 40 yard container holding 16-17 tons. The sawdust was not raked up until all the snow and rain had thoroughly rinsed all the bar oil into the ground.

Any of you boys have a lawn that looks like this???????????????

wrkymx.jpg

Afterwards, You can see where pallets were setting for a short time.

29fqstd.jpg

vg1m5s.jpg

Latest posts

Back