best grapple for a mini skid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those of you using mini skid loaders - the type you walk behind or stand up on the back - what grapple works the best for loading into trucks or dump trailers? I have a bobcat mt-50 that works great but I'd like to be able to load into my 1-ton pickup and dump trailer a bit easier (reach higher and farther in to be able to put more on the load).

I just have a standard 36" bucket with a "thumb" grapple. It works ok for smaller (<18") logs and for brush that stacks well but it does not work well at all for larger logs or tangly brush.

I've seen the branch manager, beaver squeezer and beak brands in magazines. What do you guys use, what did you pay, and, most importantly, was it worth the money???

By the way, the mt-50 is my only skidsteer and I do not have a crane or log loader. I forward all brush and logs with my mini skid and I load all brush and logs with my mini skid. I do not want a larger skidsteer, a crane or a log loader (well, I'd like to have it all but, I'm part-time and can't afford it all plus I work alone).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
How about stump grinders?

I'd like to add to this thread. Anybody using a stump grinder attachment for a mini skid? I've used the full-size skid steer grinders but, now that I have a mini skid, am wondering if I should sell my vermeer 252 and get a grinder attachment for my mini skid to consolodate equipment and have one less machine to maintain.

I usually carry both my mini skid and my 252 on the same trailer so, this question really is about whether a grinder on a mini skid can perform as well as a back yard grinder such as a vermeer 252, rayco 1625 or the like in a carlton or kan-du self-propelled unit???

Anyone else have opinions on grapples?

I'm sure you want to promote your product but, I don't see why I'd want to replace maintenance on one engine for maintenance on another. I guess I'm wondering how the attachments that run off of the mini skid's engine and hydraulics work.

I could see buying an attachment like yours if I didn't already have a self-propelled unit. Thanks for the links...

Forget the hydraulic powered grinders. We have a terra power hydraulic stumpgrinder, I need to take a shave between stumps its so slow.

We have a Vermeer S600 skid steer fitted with a TerraPower 42 inch grapple. We love it for loading logs in the trailer, and getting brush to the chipper. Since it doesn't rotate like a Beaver Squeezer you kind of have to use your head so that the brush is facing the right way when it reaches the chipper. I've heard that the stump grinding attachments for the mini skids are not very efficient because the hydraulic flow is not enough. We use the Vermeer 352 instead.

Ed how many hours of field testing have you got on this grinder?

not sure lee. been hammering 2 of my own now for about 4 months. No problems so far.

ASD, call Dave Nordgaard at Branch manager for a US price. He is manufacturing them under licence in the US, as the $ is very weak against the pound, it would be 2 dear to import one.

Still looking for best grapple to load into trailer

I need to revise this thread because I'd like to get a bigger dump trailer with taller sides to haul tree debris with but I need to be able to load into it with my bobcat mt-50 mini skid (see attachment). The grapple I have on it now works fine as far as I'm concerned when it comes to forwarding debris and loading it into a trailer but, I need a grapple that will allow me to load into a bigger dump trailer and allow me to stack debris higher like you could with a bigger skid loader.

As you can see from the specs for my machine, I can load about 74" high with the bucket level and about 20" past my tracks with the grapple I have now. I'd like to be able to reach at least another foot both vertically and horizontally and was just wondering if these other grapples will enable that or if I'm going to have to look at a different machine setup to accomplish that.

Thanks.

Last edited:
photo 1 is the dump trailer I have now. photo 2 is similar to what I 'd like to get with as tall of sides as I can load into with my mini and grapple (whatever type that might end up being).

I have a Thomas 25g with a BMG.

A BMG on a MT50 will not give you the height or reach that you are looking for. If you want to stack debris higher and further you will nee a bigger loader.

Can't ask for more height or reach than this with my machine:
attachment.php

I have a Thomas 25g with a BMG.

A BMG on a MT50 will not give you the height or reach that you are looking for. If you want to stack debris higher and further you will nee a bigger loader.

Can't ask for more height or reach than this with my machine:
attachment.php

Keep in mind we only have 42"s of lift, the Bobcat has 72"s of lift. Quite a large difference.
I really think you would be blown away with the Branch manager grapple! Dave is nothing but good people! I would be more than happy to deal with him again!
Pm me if you want the website info. Really, it turns the machines into another beast!!
Ed, Thor's hammer, builds quality equipment as well. Trying to keep that stump ginder working takes a lot of energy. The mini really isn't setup for that. That is why the extra motor is added. The motor runs the wheel, the mini runs it back and forth. Power to spare that way.
Seriously call Dave, if he doesn't know it, he will find someone that does!

The min Ditchwitch tracked diesel unit is a real powerhouse too!

Instead of a larger steer try using ramps to get the lift up into the truck or trailer you need. Something you can breakdown quick and easy and load into the truck or trailer when your done. I like the Branch Manager Attachments!

Keep in mind we only have 42"s of lift, the Bobcat has 72"s of lift. Quite a large difference.QUOTE]

Granted, but Arbor Pro said he wants to lift about a foot higher (and further) than his existing bucket grapple. The BMG may (and maybe not) give him a little more reach, but I don't think it will give him any more height (without major modifications).

I agree the BMG is a great grapple.

Arbor Pro, there was one BMG posted (http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1207&cat=2) in the trading post, but I see that it is sold. Asking price was $1550.00 You can find them used from time to time. I found mine on ebay last year. Won the bid for $1000., but ended up buying the 25g and grapple for $5,500.

Keep in mind we only have 42"s of lift, the Bobcat has 72"s of lift. Quite a large difference.QUOTE]

Granted, but Arbor Pro said he wants to lift about a foot higher (and further) than his existing bucket grapple. The BMG may (and maybe not) give him a little more reach, but I don't think it will give him any more height (without major modifications).

I agree the BMG is a great grapple.

Arbor Pro, there was one BMG posted (http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1207&cat=2) in the trading post, but I see that it is sold. Asking price was $1550.00 You can find them used from time to time. I found mine on ebay last year. Won the bid for $1000., but ended up buying the 25g and grapple for $5,500.

I can envision 3 different equipment options that would meet my current needs:

1) a mini telescoping forklift (outfitted with a grapple) that's narrow enough to fit through a 36" gate.

2) a mini skid steer like my bobcat mt-50 with dual telescoping lift arms

3) a bucket grapple or one like the branch manager that telescopes out.

They make hydraulic boom extensions that telescope out up to 21' for bigger skid loaders. If something like that could be built on a smaller scale for mini loaders and with a grapple on the end instead of a hook, that would be the ticket. Do you guys think a branch manager grapple could be made to telescope a couple of feet?

Every inch you telescope out, you loose lift capacity. Same as going up. In about a foot you lost 1/2 of the lift you had.
Anothe option, pricey though, is to up it to 46" width and look at the mini articulating loaders. They have a much higher lift, and a higher lifting capacity.
It maybe a set of ramps would be the ticket!
I leave the ramps on my trailer and just drive on and off as I load it. I can stack sort and smash as I go. Just a thought?

This looks interesting. 40" wide, 900lb lifting cap, 1800 tipping. 20-27hp.

Narrower than a comparable-sized skid steer and a better loading height. Spendy though, I'd bet.

Latest posts

Back