Best Loaner Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the third minute I got worried the guy was going to hurt himself. How the heck he's never induced a kickback wagging around and cutting a tree in the air under pressure like that is beyond me. Loved the random, "weekend warrior" approach to things, not!

iv stooped people cutting like that and they go right back to it.

This is an interesting thread, because it is opposite for me. I'm the one borrowing and fixing...

My Dad has an early '80's 024av. It is a great saw. But he is rough on it. Fortunately not on the powerhead per say. But, every time I borrow it, it gets a new bar, or new chain, or both... And tuned and put back together. And cleaned. And fresh gas mix. This last time, it would not start. He said he just used it recently. Turns out, the fuel hose had rotted... He had not used it recently...

It is funny, because he bought an inexpensive small Poulan, because he was having problems with the Stihl.

I have the Stihl now; I won't give it back till he really needs it. And then, I will probably do the cutting for him this time so he does not hurt this fine old saw.

I have never loaned my Husky's out. Mostly because the people I know who need to cut wood, have their own, or ask for my help, not just my saw. My little 335xpt has never been loaned. I would not loan out my other saw, an 1100cd; it is big and I fear would be more than most people could handle, especially if they have to borrow.

Nice post, there are givers and then there are takers. The majority of A.S. are givers, if not all, the ones I haven't read.

Again, what goes around comes around....eventually.

Johnnie G.

I had lent my dad my 026 once. Well the story goes it did not run well when it was brought back. Somehow he managed to break the cylinder cover. He had kept on running it. The piston and cylinder were smoked from it getting hot.

i got a good one for you guys. i had been looking to buy a 36'' bar for a few years now and finally find a smoking closeout deal from baileys on one. so i buy the bar and throw it in my shed with my other saw bars. a few weeks go by and i decide i better get a chain for it incase i need to use the bar. i stop at a local saw shop and buy a semiskip chisel chain and the damn chain cost more than the bar. a couple weeks go by and still havent used the bar and chain. one night im out at the bar and run into a buddy who is into saws and cutting he has a 066 with a 24'' bar.we get talking about this and that and i mention my new bar. he tell me a friend of his had a 40+'' maple take down and wants the big end bucked into a few table tops. me being the nice guy that i am or should i say was tells him stop by and grab it. So he borrows the damn thing for 3 weeks. after the 3 weeks goes by i call him and he says o yeah i forgot about it i will drop it off so i tell him that if im not home just hang it in the barn and i will put it away later. so the next day i see he dropped it off but i never went over and looked closely at it. a few weeks go by and i start putting things away for the winter so i go to the barn to grab the bar and chain and holy F$$! the bar is smoked and the chain is way franked up. every other tooth is basically gone for about half the chain. i was so pissed off he just dropped it off like nothing was wrong. what is wrong with people i am done helping people out.

Jeepy,

Did he hit a fence in that old Maple? Amazing how your stuff looks OK to them when they bring it back. I wonder how many of them would pitch a B!!CH if they went to borrow your equipment and it was in dispair?
They would go around saying that what we loaned them was junk and we was looking for a replacement on their dime!!

After you see someone with your saw using a 'sawing' motion, the urge to be helpful fades immediately.
YES, indeed...
Me, I'm quite a small-time firewood cutter, only cutting for me and for a friend, but as I had the GOOD LUCK of running into AS when starting my chainsaw experience... Well one time I WENT CUTTING for a friend instead of loaning the saw alone... these two guys happened to be there and looked and spoke very articulatly about sawing...
So I hand over my running saw for one of them to SHOW ME how it's done in the know-how-league...
And what else but the back'n'forth motion. He insisted it prevents the chain from grinding the bar in one place.
Just to make sure I humbly asked the ELDERS here on the site... wasn't surprised to hear it is Bovine Manure aka BS !!!! :greenchainsaw:

Anyways, when I get asked for a saw I say "It's the one tool I don't loan out as it is expensive, very easy to break AND happens to be the most dangerous tool to operate."
I try to make a round every now and then and do some saw work for 2-3 ppl the same day.
Though the last neighbour -and a good one at that- I offered to help myself actually wanted to go a whole day cutting - no experience whatsoever. Told him to do some research and buy a saw, if he intends on cutting his heat for a coupla years.

SA

My loaner saw(see sig) is actually out on loan to a friend's father right now. It's nice to have a saw like that to repay favors. His Dad loaned me a heavy duty edger this summer to make quicker work of a job I had. Its also nice that he's not clearing brush with one of my stihls!

Craftsman replacement saw

I called an old friend to come pick up some oak firewood I already
had on the ground. He wanted to try a new $140 saw.
He had let one of his friends use his faithful old Stihl and muck it up.
He showed up with a brand new 40cc Crapsman.
What a POS.
It didn't sound like like it had enough power to cut a twig,
jammed in the cut, threw the chain and boogerd up the drive links
so they would not seat in bar groove.

I don't have any favorite loaner stories because I've never loaned a saw. Given a couple away, done lots of work for people, but I don't want the liability of someone else running my saw. You just never know what somebody is going to do.

Jack

A buddy calls me today saying that he has some BIG rounds in his backyard, and do I have any big saws....... That is a pretty stupid question for someone who knows me. Fortunately, he arranged for me to rebuild and install a new tank handle on his cousin's 038. He even did the pickup and dropoff, so I never even met the owner of the saw. I said, "Your cousin has a pretty big saw here." The 038 was convieniently finished just the other day. I made him go measure the wood, and it was +/- 32" in the big spots. The biggest vacant 3003 mount Stihl bar I had here ready to go was a 28". I told him I'd bring the 038 back, but if he wanted to use the 28" bar, he'd need to return it with a new chain on it. The chain on there hadn't made one cut, and this guy does not cut much.
I get over there, and the wood is pretty big and all knotty. The 038 had only been test run, so I lit it up, and went about putting my chaps on. I figured I'd get some heat into it before I went twisting on the screws. Probably a bit of a tall order for an un-broken-in 038 Super pulling 28" full comp in big oak, but what the heck.
The first few cuts went very smoothly. The saw was getting dialed in nicely. Then my buddy wanted to try it...... Apparently he thought the 038 was for 38 horsepower. He went bearing down on it, bogging and stalling the chain repeatedly. After he bound it up to the point of disassembly for the third time, I was really glad I had not lent him the bar. He did not use the 038 anymore, and since he also did not break the saw, I figure it will last for the cousin.
The good news is that he hates Husky..... Well, sort of. I brought my fresh 365 with me to show him what a Husky does. It is set at .020", and runs pretty well for a saw I built to sell. His 034 was out of gas, and so was his can. So he HAD to run the 365, or just sit there and watch. Well, the poor 034 never did get any more gas. I could not get him to put that 365 down....

You mean like this guy??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlXuHh6CoJE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlXuHh6CoJE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(I'm particularly impressed with how long it takes him to cut #2, which is all of 4" in diameter - if that!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

Vids like this give the 290 a bad rep!

i'll loan you my dogs before my saws.

learned my lesson the cheap way. loaned a weedwhacker to a college kid back when i lived down there and wasn't long out of college myself.

it came back with a full tank of gas.

straight gas!!!

which i dumped in horror and refueled it properly, and miraculously it showed no unusual wear-worked proper for a few more years.

i'll saw for 'em. get paid in "tip money", beer, or hunting rights.

video guy--i've analyzed the whole three minutes i could stomach and come to two conclusions.

1. he's got the chain on backwards.
2. the arm-flapping drives more fresh air into the cooling fins and intake making the saw run cooler.

#2 is why i don't cut in hot weather...all that arm-flapping wears me out.:bang:

A buddy calls me today saying that he has some BIG rounds in his backyard, and do I have any big saws....... That is a pretty stupid question for someone who knows me. Fortunately, he arranged for me to rebuild and install a new tank handle on his cousin's 038. He even did the pickup and dropoff, so I never even met the owner of the saw. I said, "Your cousin has a pretty big saw here." The 038 was convieniently finished just the other day. I made him go measure the wood, and it was +/- 32" in the big spots. The biggest vacant 3003 mount Stihl bar I had here ready to go was a 28". I told him I'd bring the 038 back, but if he wanted to use the 28" bar, he'd need to return it with a new chain on it. The chain on there hadn't made one cut, and this guy does not cut much.
I get over there, and the wood is pretty big and all knotty. The 038 had only been test run, so I lit it up, and went about putting my chaps on. I figured I'd get some heat into it before I went twisting on the screws. Probably a bit of a tall order for an un-broken-in 038 Super pulling 28" full comp in big oak, but what the heck.
The first few cuts went very smoothly. The saw was getting dialed in nicely. Then my buddy wanted to try it...... Apparently he thought the 038 was for 38 horsepower. He went bearing down on it, bogging and stalling the chain repeatedly. After he bound it up to the point of disassembly for the third time, I was really glad I had not lent him the bar. He did not use the 038 anymore, and since he also did not break the saw, I figure it will last for the cousin.
The good news is that he hates Husky..... Well, sort of. I brought my fresh 365 with me to show him what a Husky does. It is set at .020", and runs pretty well for a saw I built to sell. His 034 was out of gas, and so was his can. So he HAD to run the 365, or just sit there and watch. Well, the poor 034 never did get any more gas. I could not get him to put that 365 down....

Just an update to this story: My buddy has already located a 365 for himself. I have not seen it yet. I hope there is nothing wrong with it. His wife is very glad I did not give him an even bigger saw to try....... Yet.

After a major windstorm that took out almost all the big trees in our area and most roofs, I had been cutting trees for 7 days before I started having some pain in my elbow. I decided to give it a couple days rest. At about this time the weekend came and the neighborhood started organizing groups of 5 or 6 men with a chain saw to go around and clean up. I was approached to run a chain saw and explained that I needed to give my elbow a few days rest, but that I would bring my saws and supervise others running them.

At the first house I fell a spruce tree and handed off my 250C to another guy to do the bucking. I could only watch it for a couple of minutes before my elbow started to feel better.

Latest posts

Back