Best long bar for the money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help guys! What is the longest bar this saw will run when stock, when using full skip chain? What about longest length bar when using full comp? Does skip tooth cut slower than the full comp?

Thanks for the help guys! What is the longest bar this saw will run when stock, when using full skip chain? What about longest length bar when using full comp? Does skip tooth cut slower than the full comp?

See post #3.

Sequence, that is how many teeth between each tie strap, is not always about cutting speed. There are other factors involved such as how much clearance is need between each cutter to catch and allow the chips to flow out of the cut without jamming. The decision to use skip depends on bar length, species of tree, saw power, sharpening considerations, and more. Your 394 is a strong saw and will pull a 42" bar.

I've run full comp square on a 41" bar on a 660 and 395. A 394 should pull it just fine and will oil good. I like full comp for the smoothness but I have a grinder so sharpening isn't that big a deal.

The difference in skip and comp has a lot to do with cutting speed. I can cut birch all day with my 24" bar and skip on my 359, but when I use comp in anything with the same bar, I have to have a lot lighter touch. Of course, that's right out of the box new, not a tuned up sharp chain. I hand file everything, so I stick with skip.

If I was you, I'd run a 36 fine all day with skip. A 42's getting a bit heavy and pretty big to swing around, but if you have timber to justify that size bar, a 42 with skip would work fine on that saw as well.

OK I'll assume your reading skills re the American language are lacking. Please reread my post slowly. I did NOT say that .058 is harder to find in any given locale. I said the selection of chains is more limited in .058. If you have doubts then log onto Bailey's and verify what I said. And who cares about the rest of the world, the OP is from Canuckistan.

canuckistan lol somethign is lacking there.

To the OP's question Go with a cannon, you wont wear it out, and Its made in CANADA would also look the best on that 394

Latest posts

Back