Best place to buy rope? Lifeline, climbing, and Work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baileys has a good selection too, but TreeStuff has a better vibe to it. They always ship my items fast and include free stuff/stickers/magnets etc.. in the box as well.

Baileys has a good selection too, but TreeStuff has a better vibe to it. They always ship my items fast and include free stuff/stickers/magnets etc.. in the box as well.

I use Bailey's all the time for chain. I never looked at their rope/gear.

Arbor... I forgot about Wespur. I'll check that and Treestuff out. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Question... sorry if this is a dumb one. Steel cable vs. 3/4" rigging rope is a lot cheaper per breaking strength. Why don't guys use cable with a biner for rigging and rope to wrap the cut tree with? Wouldn't that be cheaper?

I can see it not being desirable for lifeline or climbing line because there's no give to it in the case of a fall.

Same reason its no good as a climb line. There are static rigging ropes.. But, not like cable. That could spell disaster in a negative rig scenario.

Knotandropesupply.com that's not bad either. Their box o' rope ala Treestuff isn't too bad, either.

Same reason its no good as a climb line. There are static rigging ropes.. But, not like cable. That could spell disaster in a negative rig scenario.

Knotandropesupply.com that's not bad either. Their box o' rope ala Treestuff isn't too bad, either.

Makes sense, I guess like what happened to the poor Hong Kong climber:

I could see where cable could be used carefully taking small bites at a time.

In no particular order, I have always been happy with and will continue to shop and buy from:
Sherrill Tree
Bailey's
Wesspur
Midwest Arborist supply = treecaresupplies.com
Treestuff
(Idon't think I've ever bought a rope from the last two, but I have other stuff and they do have rope...)

Heck even Forestry suppliers and Ben Meadows have some ropes.

Makes sense, I guess like what happened to the poor Hong Kong climber:

I could see where cable could be used carefully taking small bites at a time.

I'm sure this video has been beaten to death, twice. But, in my opinion, that has more to do with trying to snatch a top that lage onto a steel biner, coupled with the fact that the rigging rope doesn't run at all. Either too many wraps on their bollard/porty, or its locked off completely.

That video actually demonstrates why ropes are used. You can literally see the rope get "thinner" as its stretching (dissapating load in ideal scenarios) you can also see the sling stretch a mile.

Had that have been cable.. It would have tore the sling instantly, if not snapped the spar.

Again, these are just my opinions.

Also, is he tied into that BUILDING? that would be a shite swing through those bay windows.

I'm sure this video has been beaten to death, twice. But, in my opinion, that has more to do with trying to snatch a top that lage onto a steel biner, coupled with the fact that the rigging rope doesn't run at all. Either too many wraps on their bollard/porty, or its locked off completely.

That video actually demonstrates why ropes are used. You can literally see the rope get "thinner" as its stretching (dissapating load in ideal scenarios) you can also see the sling stretch a mile.

Had that have been cable.. It would have tore the sling instantly, if not snapped the spar.

Again, these are just my opinions.

That's what I was thinking with the cable. If the falling top with the rope was jarring, it'd make sense that the shock with a cable would get very ugly. Besides that, I suppose the thought of falling and trying to catch oneself as a last ditch with a rigging cable (can't grab it) would be a bad scenario. Told ya it was a dumb question. lol.

I'm not a climber but I've had to get up in trees recently (not real high, but 20 or so feet up) and figure I may have to do it again in the future so I've been reading and researching safety gear.

MAN... is it expensive. Looks like it's $500-$700+ to get into entry level climbing gear. I'm looking into getting:
-an inexpensive harness
-2 fliplines
-1 climbing rope
-1 work rope
-connectors/binners etc

Any advice on part recommendations would be great as well!

These look like solid inexpensive fliplines but I've never used them:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=159&item=1093#detail

Yea, its not cheap. But you should see the markup on second chances. Most people don't get one.

As far as inexpensive flip lines.. Just get a rope lanyard. I've never really got on with wire cores.. They give a false sense of security IMHO. Also.. There's been reports of failures at the eye lately. **** that noise, jack.

If you're going to start climbing.. Go low and slow.. Immerse yourself in theory and get trained. Power to ya bro.

Climb safe.
-j

You can get an inexpensive harness for around $100.00, but I would spend the extra money and get a better harness right out of the gate. A harness with either a rope bridge or sliding D will make your life much better. I would probably get a kit for what you are looking to do, usually save some money on a kit verses buying individually. They let me pick and choose on this kit. http://www.gappower.com/Deluxe-Rope-Climbing-Kit/item/DELUXEKITMD or http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits/deluxe-rope-climbing-kit.html
Unless you are doing removal you probably don't need spurs and a steel core flip line. For biners I personally like the Petzl amd carabiners and the rock exoticas. A 5/8" 200ft 12 strand rope will be a good rope that will work in a lot of applications without having to buy rigging hardware.

Didn't notice a helmet on your shopping list..

Ahh... missed that but meant to put it. Already have safety glasses.

WOW on the broken flip line. That's huge. That's one reason I put two flip lines in my list. I've noticed a lot of guys on videos with two flip lines and I knew why.

Less of an issue with a swivel at the snap I believe. Cable's always tensioned up, and rigid. I think twisting of the eye finally wins out, strands snap and bingo, bango, boom. TITS. simple.

The shrink wrap usually makes it hard if not impossible to inspect. In most cases the whip on a rope is more to stop cover slippage while not under load... So the shrink wrap isn't keeping much from you. On a wire core lanyard? I dunno..

-j

Back