best power to weight ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tnshaker

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
From what u can buy on the shelf I am still with the 461 as far as feel and I should have specified a falling saw. Brads 440/460 hybrid is probably at THE top....I have has the pleasure of running it....that saw will make u dreams at night:)

Tnshaker

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
Now if I could only talk brad into building me an 064 with an early 066 cylinder and port it and put a 28" es light on it that might end the debate once and for all:)

fuzz1500
F

fuzz1500

All big stuff !! Ill get laughed at..but I like the Husky 550xp . Seems to have snappy power and low weight . On paper Im sure it doesnt win..but in my hands it does !! I cant really say much about the bigger saws...I dont have any..and Im gonna keep it that way :)

blsnelling
Now if I could only talk brad into building me an 064 with an early 066 cylinder and port it and put a 28" es light on it that might end the debate once and for all:)
You'd better take that request to Randy. He built the strongest 066. Mine runs good, but not like Randy's build-off winner. Credit's due where credit's due.

Tnshaker

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
Ya randy builds some strong saws! He built me the 285/2100 and I have never seen so much torque out of a saw. So much torque it will make u chuckle. Just hate to ask Randy and strange requests right now as he is swamped I know....guess that's what happens when word gets out:)

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Good one! :)
It's probably only possible to have more k dubyas than k geez in your hand with a big expansion chamber hanging of the starboard side. I think the MS 660 holds the top spot in the spec sheets. 1.44 kg/kw.

1.44 kg/kw is not as high as 1.9kw/kg actually the ms 660 might be 'stihls worlds most powerfull power to weight saw' but so far from the real truth.. The Solo is 1.9kw per kilo where as the 660 is closer to 1.5kw per kilo. XSKIER I too am a great fan of German engineered products (IMHO they are by far the world leader), l think if you did some research on Solo's history you'd take a liking to them as well. Thier factory is less than a mile from stihl's and i'm pretty sure they were manufactoring chainsaws B4 stihl existed. l have many o stihl products and many solo products. Apart from the stihl gear being over twice the price, the corners stihl cuts in comparison is quite a bit ie no unexpected chinese parts on a saw that says 'made in germany' and all their homeowner grade stuff is on another level in comparison.

Uldis

Uldis

ArboristSite Member
well it is measured in kw/hp per kilo/pound. The best l own and have yet seen any better and l could be wrong is.....READY!.......it's the SOLO 681!! Coming in at 1.9kw per kg. To find the real answer to this we need mass data screaning, a talking textbook would be perfect!..........SAWTROLL WHERE ARE YOU?
Not really. The usual measurement is kg/kW, so You have to divide the weight with the power. According to solo-germany.com, the weight of the 681 is 6.6kg and power is 4.7kW, so it is 1.404kg/kW. I think "on the paper" the best one is the new Stihl MS661 (from stihl.de) 7.4kg/5.4kW=1.370kg/kw. Stihl MS660 is 1.404kg/kW (from honeybros.com, as stihl.de doesn't include it no more); MS461 is 1.523kg/kW.
But from personal experience there is definately more to this than power and weight. I always consider vibration levels of the saw as well, because those can wear You out faster than the weight of the saw. That's why I sold my MS660 to get 390XPW, and there hasn't been a day I have regretted it. Really like the 390XPW.
Have to admit - those SOLO 681 stats are very good.

Last edited:
CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Not really. The usual measurement is kg/kW, so You have to divide the weight with the power. According to solo-germany.com, the weight of the 681 is 6.6kg and power is 4.7kW, so it is 1.404kg/kW. I think "on the paper" the best one is the new Stihl MS661 (from stihl.de) 7.4kg/5.4kW=1.370kg/kw. Stihl MS660 is 1.404kg/kW (from honeybros.com, as stihl.de doesn't include it no more); MS461 is 1.523kg/kW.
But from personal experience there is definately more to this than power and weight. I always consider vibration levels of the saw as well, because those can wear You out faster than the weight of the saw. That's why I sold my MS660 to get 390XPW, and there hasn't been a day I have regretted it. Really like the 390XPW.
Have to admit - those SOLO 681 stats are very good.

WELL SAID! I agree there seems to be a bit more to it than a brands dodgy specs and just power to weight...It comes down to how a saw 'feels' and ease of use when cutting wood. Lots of factors make up a saw models 'personality' and some have alot more than others.

Stihl 041S
WELL SAID! I agree there seems to be a bit more to it than a brands dodgy specs and just power to weight...It comes down to how a saw 'feels' and ease of use when cutting wood. Lots of factors make up a saw models 'personality' and some have alot more than others.

A lot like a motor cycle. It has to feel right.

Courtney Love may be the same height and weight as Scarlett Johansson but...

A $3.50 Ollie's hammer isn't gonna feel and handle like a 20 oz Vaughn.

Something has to work and it's nice if it has some Style.

moody
M

moody

In my limited experience with them 064's cylinders have more desirable numbers out of the box. So don't write the 064 top end off because they pick up well. I love me some 064's :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

moody
M

moody

1.44 kg/kw is not as high as 1.9kw/kg actually the ms 660 might be 'stihls worlds most powerfull power to weight saw' but so far from the real truth.. The Solo is 1.9kw per kilo where as the 660 is closer to 1.5kw per kilo. XSKIER I too am a great fan of German engineered products (IMHO they are by far the world leader), l think if you did some research on Solo's history you'd take a liking to them as well. Thier factory is less than a mile from stihl's and i'm pretty sure they were manufactoring chainsaws B4 stihl existed. l have many o stihl products and many solo products. Apart from the stihl gear being over twice the price, the corners stihl cuts in comparison is quite a bit ie no unexpected chinese parts on a saw that says 'made in germany' and all their homeowner grade stuff is on another level in comparison.

Solo has made saws for a lot of years and has made models for companies that would surprise you. Poor marketing and support is why you don't hear more from them. Remember that the 681 and Dolmar 7900 are essentially the same saw.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Latest posts