best saw around 250$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great deal

spike 60s got husky 350s on sale at his shop for $275 heck of a deal pretty good saw for the money. you should look him up

You can get a new STIHL MS 250 for $300. It's not a pro saw, but holds up pretty well with a 16" bar. It's a saw you can keep it as a second/backup/limbing saw if you get a larger one later. Or, since it is a STIHL, it will have good resale value if you decide to 'move up' later.

Philbert

I like Echo saws; I think they are a good value for the $$$.

I think $250 can get you a pretty good used Stihl or Husky too.

I bought a Poulan Pro 330 from TSC new for $200 and I think they are marked down now to $179. I believe it is a 53cc saw and what I read on this forum they are one of the last "good" Poulans. The one I've got has good power, but I am not yet satisified with the idle. Considering the brand and price, I feel it is a good value for cutting firewood.

Good luck,
Bill

This is just a variation on Barneys idea but a guy on ebay is selling new Husky 350s in the box with 2 yr factory warrantee for $269 + $15 shipping.
I bought one from him last fall. Pretty hard to beat it for the money if you want a new saw. I'm really no mechanical wizard so it was the best choice for me.

Ditto on the Stihl MS250. Dealers have them for $299 right now. You need at least 3 HP for a saw to cut enough wood to heat with and the 250 is a 3 HP saw.

The other suggestions are good, too although a Husky 435 or 440 will not cut the mustard. They are great trim saws, not firewood saws. Same goes for the Stihl 170 and 180.

Ebay sellers have closeout new Huskies like the 350 and 455 and Dolmars at low prices now.

Go hunting around Home Depots for a used but clean Makita 6401. Get it without a bar and chain; should run you about $200 or maybe less. Get a good bar and chain from Bailey's and you're in business for years to come. Later, you can upgrade it to 79cc with an OEM piston and cylinder for about $200. Do an AS search on this topic and you'll see why this is a popular idea. I don't need any more saws, but I'm still haunting H-Ds to find that good deal.

Olyeller

:bowdown: Thats what I was going to say!

FWIW, I think the MS250 would make you a good firewood saw too. I seem to recall our dealer was selling them for $300 with a case too.

Here's the thing. If you wind-up spending $250 on a used saw, you might also need to buy a new bar and chain or something else and find yourself at $300 anyway.

Just a thought.

Good luck,
Bill

better off in my opinion to buy a used stihl or husky. maybe a little larger size. husky 55 or stihl 34 or anything like that. you can find a lot better saw that would have more power suited for a full time firewood saw. prob be a better way to spend the money.

:rock: I have a like new 450 husky for 275 in the trading post, way more saw than the 435 he mentioned!

Latest posts

Back