Best saw build under $1000 for firewood cutting saw enthusiast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much does the 385xp normally sell for? I hear great things about it.
Also, the 064 was a legendary saw.

My 385xp is a beast with a 32” bar. The specs are close to the newer 390 Xp.
If I was upgrading to a bigger cc saw my logic is if I pick a 572/372 I’d go one size larger to the 383/390. You can’t lose. In 1980 my first choice was a 2100.

May I ask why you want 80cc for firewood?
To me, that's a lotta saw for firewood............
My MS460 is a handful of saw for firewood and it noodles like a champ.

IMO, that 70-85 cc range is perfect for an an all around saw. It’s powerful enough that you can do just about anything but bucking up huge trees or milling, but still light enough that you would choose to use it for a run of the mill job.

Did dolmar just merge with another saw company? In ‘91 makita bought dolmar. I found it.

The best saw in my opinion, for fire wood is a brand new still 261 50cc, and leave it in the box and ship it to mastermind work saws, for porting.

I’ve got a mastermind 462 and a 261. I think if I was going to do nothing but cut firewood all day I’d be farther ahead with the 261, as it is so light but will keep up with the discount 80cc class. But at 40% less weight.

Yep I have a modded 462 also, and it’s great with a 28” or 36” bar, but unless I’m cutting 30” logs all day, if I have my choice I’ll grab the smaller saw, as at the end of the day, there will be more wood on the ground, give its 18” and smaller logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Home Depot rental 6400 $320
7910 cylinder $180
Proper port work $300
Kicking a 390’s ass Priceless

and for $150 less
Are replacement parts easily acquired? Any dealers local, or will you be waiting for parts? That's for a used saw run by who knows who, that 390 is new and can also be ported. Not every firewood cutter needs a ported saw.

I am extremely Pleased by my stihl 661 C-M.
I run a firewood business 3+ months out of the year in the fall, me and a few other guys cutting 60+ tons of hardwood wood from trash piles built up all summer. we normally use several ms460's, and often a couple husqvarna 372's.
Great saws. I just picked up a ms462, and a 7910 this morning... no data on those two yet, but I really like the feel of both those saws, and I hear good things for the most part.
Personally, I have pretty much exclusively used my 661 for everything over the last year.
whether it is a quick few cuts job, or 12hrs of one cut after the other on a pile. Very reliable saw, exceptional power, and I really don't notice the added weight over running the ms460 all day.
It spends most of its time holding its weight in the cut, and I only feel any weight when moving it from cut to cut. that said I do prefer a lighter saw for limbing thick tops where I am over head or moving it around cutting through wood 10" or less.

Are replacement parts easily acquired? Any dealers local, or will you be waiting for parts? That's for a used saw run by who knows who, that 390 is new and can also be ported. Not every firewood cutter needs a ported saw.

FWIW, seems pretty hard to wear these Makitas out, they are one tough saw. Also, as I understand these saws get refurbished by HD before being sold if they need it. It seems like everything should be working against these saws....ex-rental saw from a big box stores. However, we constantly here people having good luck with these saws after purchase.

FWIW, seems pretty hard to wear these Makitas out, they are one tough saw. Also, as I understand these saws get refurbished by HD before being sold if they need it. It seems like everything should be working against these saws....ex-rental saw from a big box stores. However, we constantly here people having good luck with these saws after purchase.
Agree. Local dealers available? Parts readily available? Needs larger p/c to equal 390. Really believe he should just buy and run what he wants.

Agree. Local dealers available? Parts readily available? Needs larger p/c to equal 390. Really believe he should just buy and run what he wants.

Right, parts availability would be biggest hang up. All depends on usage, I had a HD 6401 and never worried about that, saw wasn't making me money and have others to use if one goes down.

Back