Best saw for around 700ish?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer289

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok well iv recently come into some money about 700 bucks..... i was considering a bunch of ways to go with it.....ive been lookin at used 044/440,046/460,066/660, or huskys in the range of 70+ ccs. but was alos lookin at the makita dcs6400 with the big bore on it......so i was just wantin to get a few more opinions on which way to go with it...... thanks a head of time.:cheers:

The best 70cc saw is the dolmar 7900 and I can get a brand new one for 735.00$ out the door! You wont be sorry!:bowdown:

I would go used if it were me. get a nice 90cc saw for the same price, and it won't depreciate in value when you use it.

The best 70cc saw is the dolmar 7900 and I can get a brand new one for 735.00$ out the door! You wont be sorry!:bowdown:

so when ya say the dolmar you mean the dolmar not the makita cuz i see ya have one in your sig......:monkey:

I would go used if it were me. get a nice 90cc saw for the same price, and it won't depreciate in value when you use it.

So for a 90cc saw what should i pay about to make sure it isnt completely beat up? cuz iv been lookin on ebay and the prices are all over for like an 066 and the same for a 046

Husqvarna 372XP, I bought a brand new one a while back for $650 off of ebay, less bar and chain. Found a Total Super Bar and 4 Total chains for $60. sorry, not a fan of the 7900 and No "real" Dolmar dealers anywhere near here.

Scott

Same here with the no dealers around here either just a husky and stihl dealer around every corner.:chainsawguy:

For what its worth, I would stay away from ebay saws. You never really know the 'real' condition of the saw. Only way I would buy a used saw without actually seeing it, would be on this site from a reputable member. Besides, ebay prices are usually high.

Good used saws are everywhere. Just dont get impatient.

There was a bunch of good saws in the trading post that Andrew had. I got the 394 that he posted about 3 weeks ago. The plastic is faded and it has 160 lbs of compression and runs great. He had a 066, a 394/395 and 2 372s the last time I checked.

well im starin to lean toward the makita/dolmar just for the fact every saw i have i got or bought used and would like to get somethin new just to know that there is no problems with it. but a bigger husky or stihl for the same price is very temptin

the 7900 you won't be sorry it and my 5100 are the first saws in the truck when I go cut, I've used my dads 372 several times as well and love the 7900

Get the 6401 and leave it that way.
They are a great 64cc saw that runs like a 70cc saw.
And IF you ever wear the top end out on it, then you can upgrade if you feel like you need to.
Or you can go back to a 64cc because those top ends are EVERYWHERE dirt cheap from all the guys putting the 79cc and 84cc top ends on them.

Mike

I would never get another saw on ebay.How big of a saw do you really need.I looked at a 372,576,385,394,395,390,440,441,460,660.For me I went with the Dolmar 7900 for price,weight,hp and the size wood I have to cut.I could have and really wanted a MS660 but didn't need it.

I know you were talking new but find a used beater 6400/6401 for cheap and put the big top end on. Either the stock 7900 or the 84cc BB. I'm into my BB set up for ~500 and I way overpaid for the 6401 off of fleabay. All I cut is smallish Ponderosa pine and its all most too fast. The Dolkita will not disappoint.

Bullittman

The 7900 is an absolute pleasure to run compared to a 660. The only thing I don't like about the 7900 is that it is slightly nose heavy, but it is not that bad and you forget all about it when its actually running. I know the 372 and 660 are good saws and I am certain the others you have listed are as well, but I don't see any way that you can beat a 7900 for power/weight or bang/buck. It is likely the only saw you would be able to get new for that price and it would not really be outperformed even by a 660/390 until you got the 30"+ setups out.

Latest posts

Back