Best splitting Maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad murdock

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
In your view, and from your experience, what type of manual splitting maul works best for you. I have tried the traditional 6-8 lb mauls, that work fine, I have used the single bit Dayton style Axe, the Double bit axe, and the splitting axe. I also have a 16 lb mega maul, which IMO is the most effortless manual splitting implement I have used to date, despite its weight. You only need to raise it up and assist it on the way down in the "drop". What say Ye?? I guess to be true to form in the Chainsaw forum, noodling is the best splitter available, whichever saw color you like, the more CC's the better

My favorite is the Fiskars X25/27. Many others agree, some don't. Search for Fiskars. There are probably only 100 or so threads on it.

4-1/2lb splitting axe. If all you are going to do is let gravity pull it down then get the heaviest thing you can, but that is not really an effective technique.

I have several mauls, a double-bit axe, and a Fiskars. I have always really enjoyed using the double-bit axe, like the way it feels and etc., with the mauls for those stringier/tougher rounds.

However, nowadays, after I got the Fiskars, I have not used any of the mauls in three years and I only get the double-bit out occasionally for the fun of it. The Firskars works better than the mauls and axe put together. The mauls now feel crude and I have no plans to keep them.

I have no fewer than 6 different splitting mauls. By far, the best overall in my opinion if I could only have one is a monster maul. It splits stuff regular mauls struggle with. Yes it is heavy but it never sticks. I have an X-27 and that thing is amazing in "nice wood" but is pretty useless in much of what I split. So I think that having an X-27 and a monster maul is probably the best combination.

I will say that all of the monster mauls are not the same. I have two different ones and one of them is my go to and the other not so much. I think many of the naysayers have little experience with them.

As far as the "typical" maul that is sharp on one end and looks like a sledge hammer on the other, is in my experience the most difficult tool to split with. Again, with good wood they work fine but aren't as easy as the Fiskars X-27, they do stick, and breaking handles is always an issue. I am sure there are born splitters out there that have never had an overstrike resulting in a broken handle but I'm far from perfect.

If I can't split it with the monster, I throw it aside and eventually get out my big hydraulic unit and it says no to nothing. I only use the hydraulic splitter about every other year. It is loaned out right now and has been for months.

Obviously the success of the monster maul would depend on being physically capable of swinging it so if you're 5' tall and weigh in at 92 lbs, it is probably not the best choice. I'm not tall at 5' 8" and find it to be a good tool for reducing rounds.

There was this brand of mauls made in the seventy's that I've used while working with my papa, they looked like a big triangle with a blade. I think the one he had was a carrot orange mixed with yellow color. They would split any thing you threw at it. Any help identifying the brand would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'll have to pass on Fiskars stuff, because of substandard materials.

Best I've found yet is 3 kg Mueller maul. Very effective at splitting, and looks like it'll outlast a box of Fiskars. I use it for down-the-middle first splits of any substantial round, and maybe even the next.

For other splits, I use one of two modified 5 lb "anvils on a stick" as some Fiskars fanboys put it. I modified them to emulate Mueller- flat (vice original chubby) cheeks, and an edge. As modified, they're much more productive, and even with their mild steel, retain their edge waaaaaaay longer than Fiskars X27.

Fiskars sure have some marketing wizards, to sell that stuff as they do.

In order of force as needed : First my Collins 1 & 1/4 lb. hatchet, then Fiscars X27, next Gransfors Bruks 6 lb. splitting maul. And if that don't get it, I'll use my 1600cc pinto powered log splitter. The X27 gets the most use though.

I have a Trooper 8 pound maul with a fiberglass handle. bought it at TSC for around 30 bucks. The hickory handle one looked to cheap. It splits pretty good. Way better than the 4 or 6 pound ones. I was looking at a 12 pound one with a steel handle. Looked like a wedge attached to a handle painted orange. might have to get that one soon...

There was this brand of mauls made in the seventy's that I've used while working with my papa, they looked like a big triangle with a blade. I think the one he had was a carrot orange mixed with yellow color. They would split any thing you threw at it. Any help identifying the brand would be appreciated.

You are probably thinking of the Sotz Monster Maul, I have one of the 16# ones and now regret not buying a lighter one while they were still in business. At the time I was young and never thought I might want a lighter one but after 30+ years of swinging the heavy one there will come a point in time where I will need something lighter.

Mauls006.jpg

The one one the left is the Sotz, the one on the right is a no name I picked up at an auction for $10.00 with some other stuff. Never use the red one, just doesn't have the same feel. I bought a bunch of stuff at an auction and in the bottom of one of the boxes I found a brand new in the box Sotz barrel stove kit. I put it on Craigslist and had calls from several states from people wanting to buy it. I should have kept the folded newspaper catalog that was with it.

Latest posts

Back