Best starting fluid in 2-strokes ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
Was looking at some saws on Ebay that had been test-started with starting fluid. I have seen some 2-stroke engines get scored doing that (ether type fluid). Talking with my nephew, he says that he uses WD-40 as starting fluid, and there is no scoring or risk of seisure with that stuff. I recall that when he was a kid he used to light that stuff on fire when my brother and I were fishing on the Columbia River and he was bored. It is certainly flamable, and has good lubrication qualities. CRC also makes a good starting fluid as I recall. They say on the can that they are safe for 2-stroke engines.

I dont know about 2 strokes but the wd-40 sounds better than ether! We start automotive diesels with wd and it is a whole lot safer than either on an automotive engine. HTH

WD-40 - has been reformulated with a CO2 propellant (as have many "old" products") - doesn't work on 2-strokes.

A squirt bottle of mix is the best... but if you need "starting fluid" for other than diagnostics, you have a problem...

Use of carb cleaner can lead to scored bores.

I have used a squirt of straight gas to fire off 2 strokes, and other times I have found that I needed the extra volatility of the ether, most often in a temperamental old snowmobile. It would not be good to do this on a regular basis but once in awhile is probably okay seeing as there is usually a film of residual oil inside the crankcase. But too much ether can wash this film away and then there's problems.

I have the best luck with starting fluid by putting it in a brown lunch bag. Then set the bag on fire and run a few hundred feet and then shoot the bag with a rifle.

And the 2-stroke engine comes in just where in that scenario?

Maybe something like...

When I was a kid, I used to shoot flaming bags with starting fluid in them. It was hard on my grandma's engine by giving her two strokes! She has since recovered and I haven't tried any stunts like that for at least a week!

Maybe something like...

When I was a kid, I used to shoot flaming bags with starting fluid in them. It was hard on my grandma's engine by giving her two strokes! She has since recovered and I haven't tried any stunts like that for at least a week!

OK, I gave you two green rep bars for that one! :clap:

I have the best luck with starting fluid by putting it in a brown lunch bag. Then set the bag on fire and run a few hundred feet and then shoot the bag with a rifle.

Similar to air/acetylene mixtures I've observed. Have seen that mixture detonate from static with the result of ruptured ear drums......but when properly ignited makes quite a bang.

Use with EXTREME CAUTION

Ever seen anyone seat a tire bead with ether? I would'nt try it myself but I've got a buddy thats in a Jeep club and I go on some runs with him. I've seen those guys do it out on the trail - pretty scary stuff but fun to watch... from a distance that is

Ever seen anyone seat a tire bead with ether? I would'nt try it myself but I've got a buddy thats in a Jeep club and I go on some runs with him. I've seen those guys do it out on the trail - pretty scary stuff but fun to watch... from a distance that is

Heck yeah. I have witnessed it being done on farm tractors.

Knowing how much is "enough" is very important...

starting fluid

Years ago my neighbor was trying to load his snowmobile into the back of his truck, that was backed against a bank. I think now that he may have flooded it, because it was running when he parked it at the top of the bank. After several minutes of pulling on the starter rope he came and asked for some ether. He lifts the hood and starts spraying ether into the carbs, I didn't think he was ever going to stop, finally I said "Bill I think that's plenty". He gives the rope a big pull and the next thing I know he's on his back thrashing like a fish out of water and the snowmobile is in the back of the truck with the skis pointed strait in the air with the motor still running wide open. :dizzy: Then I started to laugh. Bill didn't see the humor in it though. Because of this, ether would be the last thing I would use on any two stroke.
Just one of the many lessons learned on my way to being 60!

Carl

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back