Best starting fluid in 2-strokes ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe something like...

When I was a kid, I used to shoot flaming bags with starting fluid in them. It was hard on my grandma's engine by giving her two strokes! She has since recovered and I haven't tried any stunts like that for at least a week!

At least a week? I did it yesterday just for old time sake. My granny's ticker gets a good workout. :cheers:

yep.. I've set a tractor tire using starter fluid.

kinda of scary, but it works real good :censored:

Ever seen anyone seat a tire bead with ether? I would'nt try it myself but I've got a buddy thats in a Jeep club and I go on some runs with him. I've seen those guys do it out on the trail - pretty scary stuff but fun to watch... from a distance that is

I have the best luck with starting fluid by putting it in a brown lunch bag. Then set the bag on fire and run a few hundred feet and then shoot the bag with a rifle.

Hey Bio...what's the best round to use on that...my buddy always swore by wadcutters for that type application...

Hey Bio...what's the best round to use on that...my buddy always swore by wadcutters for that type application...

It depends, what are you going for? If you want a big bang, any round from a rifle with larger than .25 caliber will suffice. If you want flames to shoot out of the side, smaller bullets like .22lr work great. I usually use either my 30-30 or '06 for this. A 12 gauge also works great, but requires a closer range, and probably a trip to the hospital.

+1 Andy,,,, with fresh quality 89 octane MIX

WD-40 - has been reformulated with a CO2 propellant (as have many "old" products") - doesn't work on 2-strokes.

A squirt bottle of mix is the best... but if you need "starting fluid" for other than diagnostics, you have a problem...

Use of carb cleaner can lead to scored bores.

I use the same,,,, Have a squirt bottle that has an adjustable spray nozzle,,,

tighten up the stream a bit as to shoot a little distance when diagnosing for carb problems on all two smokes,,,, Dont ever use ether! or starting fluid!! :monkey:

yep.. I've set a tractor tire using starter fluid.

kinda of scary, but it works real good :censored:

He He......Know two guys that used to much, blew big hole in back hole tire
and knocked 6 pieces of sheet rock down from shop ceiling. I was in store
across the street, Sounded like a bomb, rattled the windows in the store
I was in........after a few min. back hole owners first words, SH!T... tried
to save $50 Now it's going to cost over $500.......SH!T

Me and some of his other friends have had fun with it for years now. :hmm3grin2orange:

I use the same,,,, Have a squirt bottle that has an adjustable spray nozzle,,,

tighten up the stream a bit as to shoot a little distance when diagnosing for carb problems on all two smokes,,,, Dont ever use ether! or starting fluid!! :monkey:
I use something similar...what type of oil do you use in your squirt bottle and what mix ratio? ;). Gary aka Gasoline what do you use?

If yous seldom have the need to dedicate a squirt bottle for this use...just use a makeshift cup of some sort and dump about a small amount of mix down the throat of the carb. Do this while standing saw upright (muffler end down) and holding the throttle open.

Last edited:
Nope... :laugh:,

My ex-wife used to perm her hair.

The bottle has a nice long spout on it too...

Also works good for refilling float bowls on Holley carbs through the vent tubes while the carb is still on the engine in the car. (e.g. after jet changes in the pits) :)

Gary

I like the metal spray bottles you get with the gallons of WD-40. They work pretty well with most solvents. The adjustable stream is great, get into tight spots.

I have a piece of fuel line to cover the nozzle for some jobs that creates a nice spray tube.

Starting Fluid

I Used Starting Fluid A Lot On Old 610 Macks Sprayed On Filter Counted To 10 They Would Jump Off The Floor Never Did Hert Piston I Have Mounted Alot Of 100 20 Truck Tires With Starting Fluid Stand 10 Feet Away Throw Burnning Rag Most Jump 1 Foot Off Floor Or Try To Kill You To Old To Run Now So Take To Tire Shop

Go ahead and use starting fluid. Straight gas is as bad as anything. Just make sure that your starting fluid is safe for use on diesels. Starting fluid "for diesels" have an upper cylinder lube in it. We used to use it in subzero temps while snowmobiling, first start of the morning. I don't know why you'd need it in a saw.

O.K., as long as we're blowing up Granny, I've got a funny story - Years ago, we're in this guys shop/garage, working on a transmission - Rich got bored, says "watch this" he fills a baloon up with acetylene, puts it on a piece of newspaper out in the yard & lights it - What a blast! Of course, we did about 6 of them. In a little while, state trooper pulls up [Richs ex-mother in law hated him, lived 2 house away] Cop says" whos got the fireworks?" Rich says. "nobody" Cop says "what tore up all this paper?" Rich says "the dog" Cop goes over, picks up a piece of the tatered paper & sniffs it. Rich says "what are you sniffing for, dogsh#t?" With that the cop left - I still laugh about that today - :)

Acetylene bombs also work great when filling woodchuck holes in hay fields. They make a big boom, but in dairy land with methane digesters, it is normal.

My Brother Inlaw and I used to throw half used 1lb propane tanks ( the ones for coleman lanterns ) in our little fires we had outside. Throw it in to where the hot coals are and run like we stole something hidng behind a old truck or something. WOW what a BOOM!

Back