Best Timberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have them all. The cant hook gets more use than the others combined. The cant hook is designed to rotate a log, whereas the peavy is more suited to moving a log a longer distance.
All mine are 4’. 4’ provides enough leverage to roll any log the hook will grab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Peavy has lots of use in the woods as they can be used as a lever and a chain dawg remover, the point gets between logs for shifting when browing etc. We used the cant dawg on the planked over mill floors or on the carriage where a steel point would be a not so good item to have. Out in the woods the peavy ruled, in a wood yard a cant dawg would be ok.

Thanks PioneerGuy600. So if I'm not going to buy 3 cant hooks, a 60" long one is a good compromise. I'm just a weekend warrior.

I'm also considering using the tool for rolling trees hung in the canopy, so bigger is better in that case too. Of course, I hope that would be a RARE usage.

My dad prefered the 48" but I used the 60" a fair bit as I loved the mechanical advantage it gave me over heavy trees and like you mentioned rolling a wedged or hung up tree the extra length came in mighty handy. Not all of our work was on flat ground or in a leveled off wood yard.

Never really liked a peavy, as far as I can tell, their pointy end belongs on a long pole that is used for pushing logs around in water. Cant hook gives a much better grip for rolling logs over.
I agree with that. I have several Woodchuck tools. The peavey model tends to slip sideways on the log. Very annoying. But I don't get why some think a timberjack is slow. You can use it to roll logs as well as lift them. I actually find they speed things up and reduce wear on my saw.

Back