Best Timberjack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big_Eddy

Big_Eddy

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
I have them all. The cant hook gets more use than the others combined. The cant hook is designed to rotate a log, whereas the peavy is more suited to moving a log a longer distance.
All mine are 4’. 4’ provides enough leverage to roll any log the hook will grab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
A Peavy has lots of use in the woods as they can be used as a lever and a chain dawg remover, the point gets between logs for shifting when browing etc. We used the cant dawg on the planked over mill floors or on the carriage where a steel point would be a not so good item to have. Out in the woods the peavy ruled, in a wood yard a cant dawg would be ok.

Captainlarry

Captainlarry

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks PioneerGuy600. So if I'm not going to buy 3 cant hooks, a 60" long one is a good compromise. I'm just a weekend warrior.

I'm also considering using the tool for rolling trees hung in the canopy, so bigger is better in that case too. Of course, I hope that would be a RARE usage.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
My dad prefered the 48" but I used the 60" a fair bit as I loved the mechanical advantage it gave me over heavy trees and like you mentioned rolling a wedged or hung up tree the extra length came in mighty handy. Not all of our work was on flat ground or in a leveled off wood yard.

Hermio

Hermio

ArboristSite Guru
Never really liked a peavy, as far as I can tell, their pointy end belongs on a long pole that is used for pushing logs around in water. Cant hook gives a much better grip for rolling logs over.
I agree with that. I have several Woodchuck tools. The peavey model tends to slip sideways on the log. Very annoying. But I don't get why some think a timberjack is slow. You can use it to roll logs as well as lift them. I actually find they speed things up and reduce wear on my saw.