Best vintage Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbaker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you could only own one Husqvarna for the rest of your life which one would you pick?

ok so in the title you say vintage but you say if we could only buy one which would it be. to me that says any husqvarna available today. either way i would choose a 2100. they seem to last a long time. i've seen old logging 2100's that were used hard for years and still run. my grandpa's in particular. can't believe that thing still runs. never ever replaced any parts as far as i know. around here when the husqvarna 1100 came out that was it for the 090's and 125's. husqvarna took over.

What do you consider "vintage"????

For me it'd be a 2100CD for sure if talking "vintage" Husqvarnas. A 2101XP is the same thing as a 2100CD, but a bit newer. Made from 1987 until 1990. Not sure if that's "vintage". An 1100CD certainly fits the time frame, and is the same basic saw as the 2100CD but with a different rear handle and no manual oiler. I traded one for a pair of "vintage" North American saws.

I don't really consider a 288XP to be "vintage", although I guess it is since it's not a current model. Mine's never going away. Same with my 272XP (also too new to be "vintage" methinks) and the "vintage" 2100CD that's coming my way.

A 181SE is more of a "vintage" saw (although still a 1980's model), and would be #2 on my "vintage" list behind the 2100CD. Maybe a 61 as #3? Hard to answer these hypothetical threads (or any other "what would you choose?" threads) with just one saw.:D

The Husqvarnas older than these don't really interest me, as I prefer the North American saws when talking the 1950's through mid 1970's timeframe.

vintage

The biggest leap forward in generations of Husky saws imho was the jump from 480 cd to the 181.I used a prototype (no markings) before they were available .The 2100 is the most durable saw I've ever run.Problem is there is no way I could sling a 2100 today.181 maybe.

Thinking "vintage", the saw instantly comes to mind is the L77. (Honorable mention to it's little brother L65.)

281/288's are only one generation back as the 385/390 that replaced it just 10 years ago is still available. But they were on the market for 20 years so they can be considered "older" if not vintage. 288's would easily win the "I wish they still built that one" contest in this area.

Thinking in terms of chassis, rather than individual models, the 162SE through 272XP family is pretty impressive. It spawned an awful lot of models during it's lifetime. 266, 268 and 272 XP models. The 61's went from white tops to gray and then orange with plenty of them stll runing today. Throw in the 625/630/670 Jonnys and it's even more impressive.

But only own one for the rest of my life? 372XP

Last edited:
Thinking "vintage", the saw instantly comes to mind is the L77. (Honorable mention to it's little brother L65.)

281/288's are only one generation back as the 385/390 that replaced it just 10 years ago is still available. But they were on the market for 20 years so they can be considered "older" if not vintage. 288's would easily win the "I wish they still built that one" contest in this area.

Thinking in terms of chassis, rather than individual models, the 162SE through 272XP family is pretty impressive. It spawned an awful lot of models during it's lifetime. 266, 268 and 272 XP models. The 61's went from white tops to gray and then orange with plenty of them stll runing today. Throw in the 625/630/670 Jonnys and it's even more impressive.

The thing truly most impressive about the "61" chassis is it covered two
different power categories 60 and 70cc, and hell the race guys bored & stroked them up to 5 cube.

And they covered budget 60cc firewood saws up to 70cc pro logger saws with basic setup.

damn

You are making me feel old.The first Husqvarna saw I ever saw was in 1975(L65).I was cutting with a guy who had this funny looking saw with a muffler in the front.The first Husky bought was a hot off the press 162 with heated handles.That was a real awakening experience working in the rain with wet gloves.That thing would give you a helluva shock.I did like the contoured plastic rear handle on the 380,185,1100 though.

I own and use 4 "vintage" Husqvarna saws. All of them do exactly what I ask of them. I've got the 181SE set up with a 28" bar, 24" bar on the 480CD, 20" on the 268XP, and 18" on the 262XP. The 480CD is the slowest of the bunch, but still PLENTY of power in any type of wood with a 24" bar.

They are all very fun saws to operate, loud, raspy and seldom if ever give any troubles. I really don't have a favorite in the bunch, but typically use the 262XP with an 18" bar, as most of the cutting we do here are tops left over from logging operations. That saw is absolutely a unstoppable with that set-up, and very impressive in terms of power to weight ratio.....Cliff

282654d1362404525-husqvarna-480-002-jpg

huh?

I own and use 4 "vintage" Husqvarna saws. All of them do exactly what I ask of them. I've got the 181SE set up with a 28" bar, 24" bar on the 480CD, 20" on the 268XP, and 18" on the 262XP. The 480CD is the slowest of the bunch, but still PLENTY of power in any type of wood with a 24" bar.

They are all very fun saws to operate, loud, raspy and seldom if ever give any troubles. I really don't have a favorite in the bunch, but typically use the 262XP with an 18" bar, as most of the cutting we do here are tops left over from logging operations. That saw is absolutely a unstoppable with that set-up, and very impressive in terms of power to weight ratio.....Cliff

282654d1362404525-husqvarna-480-002-jpg

That is one beautiful 480.If that were mine back in the day,the recoil cover and rear handle would be polished like silver after 6 months use.(no paint.)I had so much time on one that it started sucking air around the throttle shaft from wear.

I have no use/want for vintage. 346xp is the one, I'll not be without.

Might would like a 288 at some point though.

IMHO the Husky 272Xp is the best saw ever made...

I just love my Husky 385XP.... Love it... she just keeps getting more and more power...
BUT... I also love my Baby Husky 235 :) it is cute and it cuts good for what it is.

So to answer your Question,

Husky 272XP

Back