best way to sell firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460magnum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got real lucky here in Indiana county, I might even share with someone... I took a ride the other day on my 660 Grizzly with my little one (she's two and loves this quad more than her dad!) I ran into a new gas well "surprise, surprise" Anyway I knew who takes care of the ground and went to talk to him. This piece of ground is huge no idea how many acres. So I ask the guy about cutting firewood turns out he is a friend of the family and told me take it all! When these Methane wells are going in they are clearing and piling all the trees up and letting them lay!:cry: SCORE! Big cherry 20" plus rounds, Hickory, Oak, poplar and walnut. There are some other varieties but I'm not sure of the type. Hickory and oak are big also I would say the smallest end of the majority of these logs are 16":jawdrop: There's 4 piles of logs, so far we took 8 trailer loads and 7 truck loads from the one pile and it isn't even half gone! I am going to get pics to you by the beginning of the week! I decided to cut and sell a bunch of firewood as you can drive right to the piles, cut the wood and put into the truck with amazing ease! Literally I could back up on-top of the piles! My question to you guys is what would be the best way to sell it? Level truck load? Cord? Heaping truck? I have a F150 2004 new body style so it holds the wood:clap: So far I have roughly about 6 cords in the 2 weekends I have got to go cut and plan on cutting until I have no room left :greenchainsaw:

log lengths to get the quickest money with the least effort.

cutting to size, splitting, stacking and delivering is alot of work.

Here in NJ firewood is supposed to only be sold as a cord or a fraction of a cord. A cord of split seasoned firewood goes for $170-200 delivered. Of course, of the three firewood dealers I have dealt with only one delivered to proper amount.
My advise, as someone who has been beaten by firewood dealers that sell by the truck or just short you on the amount, is to be careful that you measure out a full cord. That way you will build repeat customers.
Good luck with the new venture.

Here in NJ firewood is supposed to only be sold as a cord or a fraction of a cord. A cord of split seasoned firewood goes for $170-200 delivered. Of course, of the three firewood dealers I have dealt with only one delivered to proper amount.

DUDE! When you say "cord" are you talking cut to length (16-20 inches) or 8 foot logs? If you're paying $170 for a cord of cut to length split firewood I may rent a semi and drive to your area............

Here in Northern Michigan they're only getting $55-$75 dollars a cord for cut to length and split wood. We measure a cord up here (we call it a "face cord" if it's not in 8 foot logs...) as a stack 8 feet long X 4 feet high.

Ya Tazman. I live in South Eastern PA and a cord is $175 split here and that is a reasonably decent price. 4x4x8 stack. Appears as though we are getting quite a bit more wood then you would in Mich. with a full measured cord. The wood guys always seem to short you around here though.

Last edited:
Tazman,
I think Trout is correct that we are describing two different amounts of wood. A full cord is three face cords. So in that case, firewood costs roughly the same here as in MI.

Nomenclature:

1 full cord = 4' x 4' x 8' split stacked.

1 face cord = 1/3 of a full cord = 4' x 8' x 16"

by the way.... suburbia Pittsburgh, PA is fetching from $200 - $250 seasoned, split, delivered.

One more thing. Unless someone drops off wood for you to sell in your yard, a cord of wood is about the hardest work I've ever done for $200.

Last edited:
I've never sold it but I would just about tend to agree with that comment about selling it. It must take me a full 8 hour day to process a cord of wood from tree to stack and that doesn't include taking it to someones house. After fuel for driving and saws/splitter plus the 8 hours I would think one would be hard pressed to earn more then $15/hour max. Selling it for more then $175 helps but it's not a windfall be any means. This is probably part of the reason why it is so dang hard to find a good honest wood guy that brings a real cord of wood for $175.

I've never sold it but I would just about tend to agree with that comment about selling it. It must take me a full 8 hour day to process a cord of wood from tree to stack and that doesn't include taking it to someones house. After fuel for driving and saws/splitter plus the 8 hours I would think one would be hard pressed to earn more then $15/hour max. Selling it for more then $175 helps but it's not a windfall be any means. This is probably part of the reason why it is so dang hard to find a good honest wood guy that brings a real cord of wood for $175.

We load a 3/4 ton ford diesel with sideboards for $150 I would assume that it is just short of a cord, so we don't advertise it that way. As far as making money you cant possibly try to figure out your hourly rate or you will probably quit. Look at it as extra money and a good way to get exercise. FYI, a full cord goes for as high as 275 in nothwest ohio.

I was talking to a firewood guy,he sells a face for $75 and figured that after he pays for the logs,his help and fuel for the processor he was making $20 per face cord.

Dont feel to bad for the guy though,he claims he can do 5 face cord per hour.

Also What kind of pricing should I set? Thanks in advance for any replies.

That's a fabulous score Magnum! Eat it up because the future will not be so easy I'm afraid. :clap:

One thing I want to ask you and it's only because I've seen a similar experiance. Do you think there's any possibility that you'll piss off the owner or manager by selling the wood? I only bring this up because of another situation where a guy was given free wood, and began selling it only too get told that he'd overstepped. Your guy might not care but then again he might. :cheers:

I was asking $55 for 1/3 cord and $90 for 2/3 cord last year. I'm just a "beer money" wood seller tho, might have sold 5 or 6 cords last year total.

Ian

I'm not sure how much I have at my house yet I would guess 4 full cords or more. I never mentioned anything about selling the firewood I was cutting but I would be very very suprised if he said anyhting at all.It's all goint o lay there and rot anyway.

great score

here in Ma we're paying $175.00-$200.00 per cord. You can get green stuff cheaper. Tree lenght for even less.

here in Ma we're paying $175.00-$200.00 per cord. You can get green stuff cheaper. Tree lenght for even less.

I don't know where you are in Mass, but I was out in western Mass on NY State border for Easter and you guys have some serious fine firewood! I was drooling over all that hardwood! :clap: I' grew up there but had forgotten just how good the ratio of hard to softwood is! Nice!

Latest posts

Back