best way to shorten split wood any contraptions or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large band saw set up and running; lift wood and push it through; little kerf/waste.
Large is the key word. He has a 1hp unit.

I make a lot of kindling from scrap wood with my chop saw and it moves along pretty fast. If you can reach the wood with your left hand, your right hand stays on the trigger at all times.

1 HP bandsaw with the right blade will work fine. A bench top HF model would not.

I guess it always goes back to our frame of reference. I split my wood pretty small for stove use, compared to what some guys do for an OWB. Would work fine for my wood. Also depends on where the wood is located, and how far he wants to stretch an extension cord. If he brings in a modest amount at a time, and cuts it in his driveway or garage, it is not a problem. If he wants to re-cut it in a meadow far away, one of those racks shown in earlier posts would be better to use with a chainsaw.

Whatever the OP decides, I hope he posts back with lots of photos so that we all can learn.

Philbert

I have the same problem

most of my wood i pick up off the side of the road, so it is all random lengths
but my burner only holds pieces so long

first i split it
then i put it on my modified chord wood saw with a stop so it cuts each piece at the same length

i shall post a picture tonight

I make a lot of kindling from scrap wood with my chop saw and it moves along pretty fast. If you can reach the wood with your left hand, your right hand stays on the trigger at all times.

I still have ideas for building a saw horse with an electric chain saw attached like a chop saw, on an adjustable stop and with a spring to counter the weight of the saw motor. Cutting chains have a lot less mass than the wheel of a chop saw so starting the saw over and over from rest takes less energy. I'm thinking I can build it so the saw can easily be removed from the hinge when the sawhorse isn't being used. I have no doubt I can build it after seeing that firewood processor posted earlier.

I still have ideas for building a saw horse with an electric chain saw attached like a chop saw, on an adjustable stop and with a spring to counter the weight of the saw motor. Cutting chains have a lot less mass than the wheel of a chop saw so starting the saw over and over from rest takes less energy. I'm thinking I can build it so the saw can easily be removed from the hinge when the sawhorse isn't being used. I have no doubt I can build it after seeing that firewood processor posted earlier.
I should have mentioned that I have both a radial arm saw and a chop saw. The radial arm probably would work better because the blade is running but back and out of the way while wood is being moved versus a band saw where you need both hands or a chop saw where the blade stops every time.

If it was me I'd either 1) sell it all and buy enough shorter wood to get through this season with a little to spare. Then cut new shorter wood in the spring. Short wood will most certainly season over one summer. Or 2) cut it shorter as you go. Run through a week's supply on a Saturday or Sunday and repeat next weekend. The thought of dedicating hours/days of time to hash out several cords at once doesn't appeal to me one bit.

CT, I fail to see the benefit of using a band saw over a circular chop saw for speed or safety...but hey you won't use certain splitting tools either so it's clear that you like to exert extra energy when working with firewood ;)

No need to get snide/snippy from vision failure, you know. :p

Of course I use the saw for other things, too. If you were familiar with operating a bandsaw, you'd understand instantly how much safer it is than any circular saw. It's really easy to get a circular saw to pinch the wood and do "interesting" things, especially with wood that's not been processed to consistent shape like the dimension lumber they're designed for. Large reaction forces involved.

A table saw can toss chunks at you north of 100 mph with such a kickback. Can be a real low-blow.

OTOH a bandsaw is cutting a piece that sitting on a stop. It cannot chuck the wood at you or otherwise test pupillary reaction.

If you'd seen Matt at Spike's trying your beloved fiskars on a round, just pizzing it off, and then popping it in one shot with 2.5 kg Wetterlings, you'd understand that your "extra energy" bluster is pure b.s. Repeat: "I could be mistaken, but ..."

What the bleep does some funky splitting tool have to do with anything here? Put so you can understand: I like tools that work well for me, which doesn't include Finnish fads, and could give a rat's tiny tuchus about your take on that. Great country- America. Move on.

No need to get snide/snippy from vision failure, you know. :p

Of course I use the saw for other things, too. If you were familiar with operating a bandsaw, you'd understand instantly how much safer it is than any circular saw. It's really easy to get a circular saw to pinch the wood and do "interesting" things, especially with wood that's not been processed to consistent shape like the dimension lumber they're designed for. Large reaction forces involved.

A table saw can toss chunks at you north of 100 mph with such a kickback. Can be a real low-blow.

OTOH a bandsaw is cutting a piece that sitting on a stop. It cannot chuck the wood at you or otherwise test pupillary reaction.

If you'd seen Matt at Spike's trying your beloved fiskars on a round, just pizzing it off, and then popping it in one shot with 2.5 kg Wetterlings, you'd understand that your "extra energy" bluster is pure b.s. Repeat: "I could be mistaken, but ..."

What the bleep does some funky splitting tool have to do with anything here? Put so you can understand: I like tools that work well for me, which doesn't include Finnish fads, and could give a rat's tiny tuchus about your take on that. Great country- America. Move on.
Chill dude...did you not see the smiley face at the end? That means it was written as a joke. If anyone is getting snippy it's you towards me ever since I sparred with your little homie Spike over on the Husky/Fiskars knock off thread. Sorry I hurt your feelings but he was off base and I called him on it. Nothing more than that. If you've got an axe to grind with me (is that a pun LOL) feel free to drop me a PM and we can resolve our differences.

I've owned three bandsaws and operated several more. You are probably not aware that I've built several buildings in addition to various other carpentry projects over my lifetime. I'm not aware of your carpentry experiences but if you are trying to label me as a novice you are way off there.

I never said table saw. Trying to use a table saw would be foolish and unsafe. But trying to convince me a bandsaw is somehow head and shoulders better than a chop or radial arm saw in this case just isn't going to happen.

This is all you need 1 good friend , 1 saw horse . I chainsaw . You buddy throws the log over the saw horse and you make it shorter . Buddy throws cut log on new rack . You can go through a lot of wood fast . I then throw the buts/ unstackables in 55 gallon drums and burn them on the weekends . Don't forget beer for afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I have see people use something like this to cut long pieces:
images

longer the bar the bigger stack you can cut at one time. works pretty good.
I made something similar as the wood rack above, but I made the bottom wood holder much higher! High enough that the wheelbarrow fits underneath.
Takes out the part of picking up the smaller pieces again.

During the week gas chainsaw and on Sunday electric chainsaw.

Northern tool sells a saw horse that has a clamp for a chainsaw on the end. There is an adjustable stop to set your length. The saw clamp has a blade guard to cover the top of the saw to help make it safer. Works great for small branches etc, would be perfect for this job too. An electric chainsaw could be used if you wanted to cut the pieces by the stove. It's what I do if my calibrated eye was off a bit while cutting. Big and small pieces are by the stove so minimal moving/handling. Doesn't take long to cut up the next load for the stove. I wouldn't do it all at once, just enough to fill the stove for the day.

One thing I will caution is if you put the wood in the rack, make sure it is packed in nice and tight because the chainsaw will sometimes grab the wood and spin/kick it around. Just be prepared.

I find the grooves in a pallet hold wood from spinning quite nicely. Go get a stack of cruddie skids to bring the wood up to a proper working height. Get a buddy to hold the pieces while you whack them with a saw. Just hold enough off the end of the skid that need whacked. Keep a wheelbarrow or barrel where you are cutting to capture all of those nice little ends. They make great burning wood! It's definitely a 2 person gig and you have to be very careful holding those buggers. Or, hold them all in place with a rathet strap acroos 6 pieces or so and do the same on the other side of the skid. I use a skid as a table top to cut my branches up into length. Works great! Just place the branch in the groove and cut.

Chill dude...did you not see the smiley face at the end? That means it was written as a joke.

Wow, if I only had a nickel for every time I've thought that here reading posts.

SR' :rolleyes:

If you'd seen Matt at Spike's trying your beloved fiskars on a round, just pizzing it off,..

Are you referring to the X27?

With all the hype and YouTube videos about the axe, I almost caved and bought it, but passed... even when I had a chance to get it for $43 shipping included. True Temper has a copy of one and I bought it. It bounced off of some Red Oak rounds in middle December. Should of split like glass. I ended up returning it.

SR'

Philbert said:
I think that the 'second person/helper' idea opens up a number of additional options that I did not think of!

Yeah, like doubling your chances of someone getting hurt with some of the ideas mentioned.

SR'

well I have a lot of split wood that is now too long for the new stove that was set in.whats the best way to resize it?any devices that can make it easier?I can fit them in east to west but prefer north south.probably several cords this way and hate to burn it east west as cannot fill it as full or tight.
thanks
I take my 30 ton I have a double splitter clip the ends off so they be 16 inchs long a double splitter { { but I only do Ash. it really breaks it then cut itWhen I get behind and have to buy a pickup truck load the wood people don't have rulers I guess I get from 12 to 24 inchs.

I got an idea!!!! Go trap a beaver. get it good and hungry. Stick the ends of your firewood in the cage and let it gnaw them off!!!! Eureka!

At least you have the wood, it is like money in the bank. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting it to size until I was desperate for wood.

Latest posts

Back