best way to shorten split wood any contraptions or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's better than money in the bank, because with a savings account you loose money! Here it stays the same.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414866149.974252.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414866166.175127.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414866178.539956.jpg

Here is mine
A chord wood saw
Originally to be run off a flat belt tractor

I welded it to a junk free trailer
I put on a 7hp motor I got off a snowblower I got for free
I had to buy some pulleys and belts
Got the 27" blade set and sharpened

Works great tho
The stop is set up to the length that will fit in my stove
So everything that cuts fits

View attachment 376869View attachment 376870View attachment 376871

Here is mine
A chord wood saw
Originally to be run off a flat belt tractor

I welded it to a junk free trailer
I put on a 7hp motor I got off a snowblower I got for free
I had to buy some pulleys and belts
Got the 27" blade set and sharpened

Works great tho
The stop is set up to the length that will fit in my stove
So everything that cuts fits
i can't believe it took 4 pages worth of BS for someone to finally post a saw rig... guess most people like to complicate things that aren't complicated +1 on the Saw rig!

Thanks
It really does work great
And it seems a lot safer and faster to me than a chainsaw to trim pieces

i can't believe it took 4 pages worth of BS for someone to finally post a saw rig... guess most people like to complicate things that aren't complicated +1 on the Saw rig!
What's less complicated that using the chainsaw we already have, a few bits of plywood and some thin metal rod? If it were any simpler it would come with no-doze tablets.

View attachment 376983
Photo?
Philbert

This is version 2. There's plenty of room for improvement but it does provide an adjustable stop. The bottom of the stop is hinged and with longer chain it can be set from 12" to 20". The piece that was cut to length falls out the bottom leaving the piece to be cut in the VEE. Eventually the last piece in the Vee is an end piece and gets thrown into a different pile. It's not designed for really large pieces but with my back I don't usually lift those anyway.

Attachments

• 1030142101.jpg
    1030142101.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 1030142100.jpg
    1030142100.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 36
  • 1030142100a.jpg
    1030142100a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
A decent-sized bandsaw would rock at this.

Make a plywood "chute" to align the wood with the desired cut and just keep feeding it in, with the new pieces pushing the previous pieces through the blade. Don't stop until the cut piles are so high you can't move. Then stack and repeat.

8533747.jpg

A guy I know bought some firewood that was supposed to be a certain size.. well it was not.. so i said buy this and a 20.00 garage sale electric chainsaw. He never looked back works awesome!!

Latest posts

Back