Best way to split Ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a nice Ash tree that has blown down in a small ravine. I've cut and drug most of it out. Now I'm down to the trunk wich is about 20"~24" across, and about 20 foot long. I think I can drag the rest of the trunk out in pieces, but by the time I buck them to lenght, they will still be too heavy to lift into the truck. I don't own a log splitter. Just an axe, a couple of mauls, and a couple of wedges. What's the best way for me to split the Ash once I get it out of the ravine? Should I try to spit it while its still a little green, or let it dry over the summer and come back and split and load it in the fall, or will I need to wait until it gets back down around zero again?

Thanks,
Mark

Start with your mauls and wedges and split around the outside of the rounds moving your way in as you go. It usually splits pretty easy green.

Kyle

If you want to do it quick, I'd bet using a lightweight splitting axe in 18" rounds would be super efficient. ASH is dreamy straight-grained wood.

cut them to stove length ,set them up ,start it with a ax maul till it forms a crack ,then get your splitter wedge involved and mash it with the hammer side till it splits apart

You shouldn't have much problem quartering them with a maul. I dropped a dying 26-28'' ash at the base the other day, bucked it at 16-18'' lengths and split it with my old 6 lb maul with no problem. It did have a tad of punky wood running up one side but you still should have no problems splitting yours with just a maul. Only other advice I'd give you is buck it shorter where it's knotty.

I was splitting some green ash today with my 6lb maul. No problems to split it as it is one of the easiest woods to split by hand(right up there with silver maple) I usually start on the outside of it and work around it till I have a nice piece of the heartwood left. I like to have a bunch of those bigger tougher pieces for night time burning.

Ash splits really nice!

Ash splits really nice! Once it's halved, I can split the halves with one blow. As with any wood the colder the better IMO. They shatter.;) It's almost not worth running the splitter.

I also like the smell of the smoke. I think it's kinda a sweet smell.:blob2:

Thanks for the replies! I'll give it a go like it is. The farmer had already limbed the tree so I'm not sure how dead or how alive it was before the wind took it out. I've got a 6 lb and an 8 lb maul. I'll take both and an axe. Of corse the wedges stay in the truck box all the time :) and for the knotty stuff I just use the chain saw then a wedge.

Thanks again,
Mark

if they are too hard to split easily with a maul, you can always quarter or half them with a saw and throw them in the truck

Ash splits really nice! Once it's halved, I can split the halves with one blow. As with any wood the colder the better IMO. They shatter.;) It's almost not worth running the splitter.

I also like the smell of the smoke. I think it's kinda a sweet smell.:blob2:

its almost not worth running the splitter.....you must sit behind a desk all day....whats worth....gas and starting it.

Latest posts

Back