Bidding question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imalogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how often ppl ask you to do a tree removal or trim job and don't ask for a bid on how much it's gonna cost them. Most all of my removals and trims are in a 10 mile radius and they are all word of mouth. Occasionally ill advertise for stump grinding. I'd say maybe a quarter of removals ppl don't ask how much it will be. They almost always ask how much grinding will be, probably because the removal is more of a necessity and grinding is more of a luxury. Do you guys always tell them how much it will be even if they don't ask or do ya do the job and bill them accordingly? I feel like my prices are pretty fair.. I don't like shocking anybody, but for those who don't ask for a bid it's lot easier to figure up what I've gotta have after the job and closer to what it should cost vs. overbidding to make sure I'm totally covered and losing the job or just charging more than what's fair. Your thoughts?

No matter which side I'm on, buy or sell, I ask for or give a firm price. If something causes me to take more time than planed, tough, price stays the same.

All mine ask for a price, and it hardly ever goes less than I expect. More often, but not less.

I bid to what time it should take, then hold myself to what I think it could take. Usually lands somewhere in the middle of the two.

Your setting your self up for that day the people act shocked and don't want to pay. It's in everyones best interest to have a written contract of the price and whats expected spelled out, before the job is started. It prevents misunderstandings later on.

I ordinarily spell out my estimate/proposals with scope and cost with times estimates and hourly rates. I offer conservative estimates and tell people "if it takes less time, it costs less." Unless something drastically effects the project (scope creep, changed conditions, etc...) and things take longer I ordinarily eat that.....My repeat customers just say "we trust you send a bill...."

Always give a estimate. Avoids surprises.

I will disagree with that on only one point. I don't give estimates, I give bids, and there is a difference. When I show up and look at a job, it is presumed that I know what I'm doing, and, whether it is a trim job or a removal, it is my responsibility to know the costs involved. An estimate implies that I don't really know how long it will take, or how much needs to be hauled off, etc. I don't give estimates, I give bids. Jeff

The only clients I don't bid are those high rollers that just say do it. They don't really ask you to look they just call and say what needs to be done and you do it and bill. Most clients aren't in that category though, maybe 2 as of now. Used to be more but I guess things are tight on everyone, even the upper crust. But, you as the bidder should still know what it will or won't cost whether you give the bid or not. Don't use doing the job before bidding as an excuse for not tightening up your quoting skills.

if you need some wiggle room, give a range. sometimes I don't know how much wood is in a particular tree or how much needs rigged. at that point, I give a range. I am running into a lot of trees that were topped in the last 5-10 years. its very difficult to determine how much brush/wood is in the tree. I ate a days work a few weeks back from one of these suckers. there was a hidden stem up in the tree that needed rigged. and the sprouts where 3 chip loads, not 1. it should have been a 1/2 day drop and clean up. it was a 4 hr climb with a full day clean up. I just couldn't see it all from the ground.

sometimes if its something nasty I will give a not to exceed price and tell them if it takes me less time then expected I will charge less. Lately I havent been doing this as much though. I figure the ones I make good money make up for the jobs that take longer then expected.

I do stump grinding only. I always quote a firm price before doing the job. I have never charged more than my quote even though I have wanted to kick myself a time or two for quoting less than I should have. It all works out in the end.

I always give quotes, never estimates. It's a little easier with removals because the quote sheet can just say 'remove to grade, haul all debris', but with a prune quote, you need to define what will be done, how much will be removed, how much clearance etc. It will prevent problems in the future.

If there is extra work, the crew foreman estimates how much more to charge and that is added to the quote.

We also never do any work without a signed contract.

I give a firm price, the only time it changes is when I go to do a prune, get in and find something bad that warrants a removal. Never go back for more money if it takes me longer than expected, thats on me. I just try and make sure that I dont do that!

You should really give a firm price and a written contract.... It covers your ass. Need everything in writing anymore.

Back